Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 14:07   #31
BHPian
 
NiInJa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 740
Thanked: 1,818 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

I got a letter with same content as mentioned in the posts above. Called up the SA and he said that since my house is closer to their service center, they will come to my place to inspect it and if the part is found defective they will call me for replacing it which will be done in a day. Currently, they have a part shortage so have requested me to wait. He has assured me that they will change the part if necessary before 25th December, so fingers crossed.

I may not take the car on a long drive immediately, even if the part gets changed just because I need to convince myself that everything is working fine for some time after the change.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 00:10   #32
BHPian
 
NiInJa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 740
Thanked: 1,818 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Update: My car was inspected at my home by the Service advisor. He scanned the bar code on the air intake box on the right side of the engine bay and then went underneath the car two scan more codes on the alternator (or MGU). Took the images on some app on his phone and submitted it, and just once a message flashed : 'NG Vehicle' which he said means 'Not good vehicle' and told me that the car's MGU will have to be replaced. For a car not having issue the message would simply flash 'OK' as per him. He said the details have been submitted to Maruti Suzuki and I will get a call from his Manager regarding the next plan of action and he will let me know how safe it is to drive the car for now. But considering how quick Maruti Suzuki was to get in touch with all owners, I get a feeling that its a serious issue which needs immediate attention.

Overall, I am happy with the pace at which things are moving forward. He said the part will be replaced in a matter of next two weeks. The MGU is an expensive part so its good that its getting replaced under such circumstances. The service advisor of our dealer has been going around on his bike all day to inspect as many cars as he can, he inspected my car at 10 PM today ! No wonder why Maruti is what it is today !
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 17:58   #33
BHPian
 
madhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Update: My car was inspected at my home by the Service advisor. He scanned the bar code on the air intake box on the right side of the engine bay and then went underneath the car two scan more codes on the alternator (or MGU). Took the images on some app on his phone and submitted it, and just once a message flashed : 'NG Vehicle' which he said means 'Not good vehicle' and told me that the car's MGU will have to be replaced. For a car not having issue the message would simply flash 'OK' as per him. He said the details have been submitted to Maruti Suzuki and I will get a call from his Manager regarding the next plan of action and he will let me know how safe it is to drive the car for now. But considering how quick Maruti Suzuki was to get in touch with all owners, I get a feeling that its a serious issue which needs immediate attention.

Overall, I am happy with the pace at which things are moving forward. He said the part will be replaced in a matter of next two weeks. The MGU is an expensive part so its good that its getting replaced under such circumstances. The service advisor of our dealer has been going around on his bike all day to inspect as many cars as he can, he inspected my car at 10 PM today ! No wonder why Maruti is what it is today !
Question: Since your car has been detected as NG and the manager says the fix will happen in two weeks, are you allowed to use the car? If (God forbid) the ISG issue crops up during this time, can Maruti void the warranty as you have used the car despite knowing that it was an NG vehicle? Anyone throw some light on this?

Since I left my car on Sunday, the service center does not have any idea when they are going to receive the parts needed for the replacement. They claim to have ISG in stock, but the other parts needed as part of the fix are not in stock. Initially, this was supposed to be done by Wednesday, then yesterday it became Thursday and today it has changes to be 'maybe Thursday or Friday'.

Now the car is lying with them and there is no clear timeline. I'm sure there are more cars piling up with the replacement requirements across the country and if they are all going to be held back due to the lack of parts, then this is going to be a very painful process. My car can't even be taken out as the job card won't close with the old ISG number. I have multiple road trips planned from this Saturday and this uncertainty is getting me worried!

To undertake such a massive recall and not have parts ready from day 1 is not great. Given that the problem is a safety/fire hazard, it makes it difficult for people to keep using the car with the fear that something can go wrong at any time and most of them (like me) might be rushing to get this sorted.
madhav is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 18:19   #34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Question: Since your car has been detected as NG and the manager says the fix will happen in two weeks, are you allowed to use the car? If (God forbid) the ISG issue crops up during this time, can Maruti void the warranty as you have used the car despite knowing that it was an NG vehicle? Anyone throw some light on this?
In my case the update is that the MGU replacement is done. They are waiting for some o ring and seals that needs to be replaced as per Maruti's instructions. And I have been promised the car tomorrow evening. And when i took the car for checking they said they have strict instructions to quarantine the car. I know these guys for more than 6 years, so they would have let me drive off if the problem was not serious.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th December 2019 at 18:24. Reason: Please do not quote a large post. It inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank You.
sparks4077 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 18:37   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,778
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks4077 View Post
In my case the update is that the MGU replacement is done. They are waiting for some o ring and seals that needs to be replaced as per Maruti's instructions. And I have been promised the car tomorrow evening. And when i took the car for checking they said they have strict instructions to quarantine the car. I know these guys for more than 6 years, so they would have let me drive off if the problem was not serious.
Agree, its seems to be a serious safety issue and should not be driven without the replacement parts. It seems every service center has MGU in stock but they are all waiting for the seals and bolts additonally required to be replaced as part of this recall...
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 18:47   #36
BHPian
 
NiInJa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 740
Thanked: 1,818 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Question: Since your car has been detected as NG and the manager says the fix will happen in two weeks, are you allowed to use the car? If (God forbid) the ISG issue crops up during this time, can Maruti void the warranty as you have used the car despite knowing that it was an NG vehicle? Anyone throw some light on this?
Thanks for asking a very pertinent question.
As promised by my SA yesterday, his Manager called me up today morning and urged me (or should I say 'forced') me to drop the car at the dealership as he said I should not drive the car till they fix the issue. He even offered to send someone to pick my car up which I declined.
So, I went and dropped the car at the service center just a few hours back. Met the manager and he said the part is in-transit and should arrive tonight and will be fixed tomorrow and I can take the car the day after. I am not very optimistic about the timelines, but hoping they will get the part soon. He told me that each ISG unit is being assigned by chassis number and registration number so they are able to track it individually.

He also said that the short circuit can cause a huge surge in power causing the ISG to burn as its having copper windings like old TV sets so they are not taking any chances with any car and urging people to drop their cars so that they wont be able to drive it with the problem. He has promised me a loaner car by tomorrow, which I have no hopes, but will be pleasantly surprised if they give me one.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 10:02   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,778
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Met the manager and he said the part is in-transit and should arrive tonight and will be fixed tomorrow and I can take the car the day after. I am not very optimistic about the timelines, but hoping they will get the part soon. He told me that each ISG unit is being assigned by chassis number and registration number so they are able to track it individually.
All this information sharing is good practice but since the recall was announced on 6th, why arent the parts available with M.A.S.S after 5 days? I am sure it doesnt take more than a day or 2 to ship parts from gurgaon to any corner of India.

Has anyone with "NG" got their vehicle back?
dadu is offline  
Old 11th December 2019, 11:40   #38
BHPian
 
NiInJa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 740
Thanked: 1,818 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

^^^

I am not sure how the logistics work, but I can say confidently that at least my dealer has been very proactive and quick to respond, I got the letter on Sunday, the car got inspected on Monday and she was dropped at service center on Tuesday ! I think we need to wait for some more days and give them a little more time

Off-topic: My experience with Honda Brio (brake pump recall ~ 2014-15) and Chevrolet Beat (some gear/clutch part replacement) was not that great, till the time of selling the car in 2018, I was not sure if my Brio was having a problem or not, even after me telling them about the recall during a routine service, they did not reply.
NiInJa is offline  
Old 11th December 2019, 13:42   #39
Newbie
 
haljosgeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 19
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljosgeo View Post
Took the XL6 to Bimal (BG Road). Post-inspection they've retained the vehicle for a replacement of the faulty part. I was told it could take 5-6 hours, it then became a day. I await further updates later today.
Bimal got the part replaced and delivered the car on Monday. Late Monday evening I got a call that the bolts need to be replaced too. That was taken care off on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
haljosgeo is offline  
Old 11th December 2019, 13:51   #40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
All this information sharing is good practice but since the recall was announced on 6th, why arent the parts available with M.A.S.S after 5 days?
Getting my car back on the way from work today. I am hoping that I will not notice any difference.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2019 at 07:00. Reason: trimmed quoted post
sparks4077 is offline  
Old 11th December 2019, 13:54   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vijayawada-AP
Posts: 285
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Mine is a Oct 2019 made and bought XL6 Alpha AT. I took the vehicle to the nearest nexa service on Monday.

It hardly took 10 to 15 minutes to check including lifting of vehicle. All is well with my vehicle and there is no need for any replacement as per the findings.

There are couple of ones for which the replacement was required and they informed that they will be delivered by that evening. They do have the initial stock of replacement parts.

The Service manager was telling me that around 6K new vehicles were stopped from invoicing due to this issue.

They will inspect the new vehicles once they arrive at yard and then replace if necessary and deliver.. Don't know how far this is true. This recall is only for petrol SHVS vehicles of Ciaz, Ertiga and XL6
vvrchandra is offline  
Old 11th December 2019, 15:42   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

I wonder why people are not bashing Maruti left and right for not testing the new technology additions properly before launching the half baked products. This has been the case with Tata (mostly Harrier) and Mahindra launches which have been criticized in a very biased fashion.
There was a major steering issue in initial batches of Dzire also which was reported on Team-bhp but not much of a hullabaloo over hurried launch .
driftagain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 17:58   #43
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashwinprakas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kollam
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 4,539 Times
Default Recall: MGU on Maruti Suzuki Ciaz, Ertiga & XL6

Hey guys,

A friend and fellow enthusiast has received the following recall notice.

Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants-img20191211wa00022.jpg

The recall is pertaining to the Motor Generator Unit of the Hybdrid system.

P.S. This is a potential fire hazard, so do take care.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 11th December 2019 at 18:19.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 21:04   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,778
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljosgeo View Post
Bimal got the part replaced and delivered the car on Monday. Late Monday evening I got a call that the bolts need to be replaced too. That was taken care off on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
That was fast, lets us know if you see any difference. The bolt is a single use one, so once they dismantle the front right wheel shaft, they have to replace with a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftagain View Post
I wonder why people are not bashing Maruti left and right for not testing the new technology additions properly before launching the half baked products. This has been the case with Tata (mostly Harrier) and Mahindra launches which have been criticized in a very biased fashion.
There was a major steering issue in initial batches of Dzire also which was reported on Team-bhp but not much of a hullabaloo over hurried launch .
Since its not a technological replacement, its an OEM defective MGU aka "alternator".

Many have now started to receive the "Campaign" fixed XL6's back, which is quite a fast turnaround, if you ask me.

I believe NEXA does make a difference here !

Last edited by dadu : 11th December 2019 at 21:07.
dadu is offline  
Old 12th December 2019, 06:18   #45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
That was fast, lets us know if you see any difference.
Have not been part of any earlier recall, but I really did like the way things were explained and done. Got the car yesterday and didn't feel any difference; I was told I shouldn't feel any difference.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2019 at 07:00. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
sparks4077 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks