Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 17:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants

Its fine now:

Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants-20191206_174207.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 17:47   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti-Suzuki has corrected the website error. It shows MGU now. Can you please recheck and update?
Thanks, GTO for the message.

Rechecked for the same and now there is an error displaying as 'incorrect VIN entered'.

Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants-untitled.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 18:28   #18
BHPian

Checked mine (XL6) and found mine needs inspection. Called the dealer and they said a team is being formed to tackle this. I am supposed to get a call from their service team (BRD world) in couple of days. I asked him whether I can keep using the vehicle and he answered affirmative. Though he says this is not a "safety hazard", I am not fully convinced. His data is from google, and there is no specific data on safety aspect from maruti yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants-marutirecall1.jpg  

psvinay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 20:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Based on the above two posts response, it seems like there is a certain batch of MGU which has a problem and if your chassis number is part of that batch, you will get a message to contact your dealer.

But its prudent to check after few days just to be sure as they might still be updating their database.

Last edited by dadu : 6th December 2019 at 20:21.
Old 6th December 2019, 21:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
My Ertiga is eligible for recall. I called up mu SA and he said they havent received the circular from Maruti yet, once they receive it they will call me. He was not sure how critical it is so I am not sure whether I should be taking the car for a long drive scheduled in the last week of December.
Same with my XL6, it is part of the recall. A call to the SA in the afternoon did not help. He was saying that there is no information from Maruti and it could be the work of competitors https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/image...ies/Please.gif
Need to check with my regular MASS tomorrow morning and get the car checked.
Old 6th December 2019, 21:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
Checked mine (XL6) and found mine needs inspection. Called the dealer and they said a team is being formed to tackle this. I am supposed to get a call from their service team (BRD world) in couple of days. I asked him whether I can keep using the vehicle and he answered affirmative. Though he says this is not a "safety hazard", I am not fully convinced. His data is from google, and there is no specific data on safety aspect from maruti yet.
Sr General Manager BRD world was alerted by this post (Thanks to Team-BHP), and he called me an hour back. He was concerned on the fact that I did not receive full relevant data when I called the BRD dealership. Thank you sir for your time spent on my case. No wonder why Maruti commands the market leadership.

btw, from the conversation, my take away is that, this is a potential safety hazard. He would not recommend to use the vehicle as usual until the vehicle is inspected and remedial actions completed. They will make alternative arrangements (loaner car or taxi fare) during intermediate time. He will get in touch with me tomorrow with a plan for my case.

Once again, I really appreciate and thank BRD Car world for the gesture shown here.
psvinay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 22:22   #22

My car - XL6 bought a month back is also eligible for the recall. I have driven 1500 kms so far and am worried about the safety. I intend to contact the dealership tomorrow to get more information.
Old 7th December 2019, 12:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to the GM Service (Satnam Motocorp, Jaipur) regarding my Oct'19 Ciaz that is also part of the recall. Following are the points that came up
1. Not all the cars that are part of the recall may have a problem. Chances are that some maybe fine. But for that too I will have to take the car for inspection to get an OK.
2. If the car is "NOT Ok" then they will have to keep the car till they get parts to replace the faulty MGU. As per him, there are chances of a short circuit in the affected cars.
3. He suggested not to delay the car in getting checked.
4. They will be giving a replacement vehicle or taxi fare as per the required running of a person.
5. The GM looked proactive and has called me twice after my first call to him.
So my plan is that I myself am taking the car to the A.S.S ( though the GM insisted on sending a driver) and have the part checked. If, by chance they find the part to be OK after inspection, I would ask them to give it in writing to safe gaurd me in the future.
deky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 17:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
btw, from the conversation, my take away is that, this is a potential safety hazard. He would not recommend to use the vehicle as usual until the vehicle is inspected and remedial actions completed. They will make alternative arrangements (loaner car or taxi fare) during intermediate time. He will get in touch with me tomorrow with a plan for my case.
So, today took my XL6 for inspection at BRD Car World. Apparently, this "troublesome part" was sourced from two vendors, and part from one vendor has this issue. Fortunately, mine was found trouble-free. So, the vehicle was released back to me immediately. They had a loaner car ready in case I had to drop the car with them.

Meanwhile I received an email from another MASS. Quoting the relevant portions from that mail.

Quote:
Maruthi Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) has announced to proactively and voluntarily undertake a recall for certain petrol smart Hybrid (SHVS) Variants of Ciaz, Ertiga & XL6 Models, Manufactured between 01-01-2019 to 21-11-2019 keeping in mind customer safety as a responsible corporate.
During manufacturing by an overseas global part supplier, a possible defect may have occurred in motor generator unit (MGU) of your vehicle. The defect is in an inner part of MGU, which was not possible to be identified and detected at the time of production by MSIL. This defect has led to short circuit in 4 MGU’S. In two cases smoke was observed and in two cases fire was observed in the engine compartment. We have produced more than one lac vehicles with these MGU’s since May’18 and the first case was reported in Sep ’19. We, therefore, request you to bring your vehicle to our workshop for inspection.
Vehicles found OK on inspection will be released. Vehicles requiring replacement of faulty part will be retained for part replacement, which shall be undertaken free of cost. In view of above, in case you don’t want to drive in the intervening period till replacement, then alternate mobility arrangements will be provided.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to recall Ertiga, Ciaz & XL6 mild-hybrid petrol variants-marutirecall_inspection.jpg  

psvinay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 12:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
My Ertiga is eligible for recall. I called up mu SA and he said they havent received the circular from Maruti yet, once they receive it they will call me. He was not sure how critical it is so I am not sure whether I should be taking the car for a long drive scheduled in the last week of December.
Maruti says that Motor GeneratorUnit (MGU) which is supplied to Maruti was from a global part provider that needs a recheck (to be on a safer side) as Maruti says possible defect but didn’t confirm its authenticity.

Now Motor Generator Unit In the so-called 'mild hybrid' car models, such as the ones sold by Maruti under the SHVS badging, a belt drive is used to start the internal combustion engine through its motor–generator unit or MGU, which, once started, drives the engine motor-generator to charge the batteries.

Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki ( SHVS) is a mild hybrid technology used by Maruti in Ciaz and Ertiga. It is a small generator which is charged during coasting, breaking and when stopped at a traffic signal. This gives more energy to consume and thereby gives better fuel efficiency to car.

Now coming to your question, long drive reliability could be a serious concern as defect can only make the car to stop charging at the above mentioned times. So better have a look at your console for warnings and enjoy your short commutes. Long drives seems risky to me.

Last edited by Sasanka_Sanga : 8th December 2019 at 12:37. Reason: Typo
Old 8th December 2019, 18:47   #26
BHPian

My Ertiga is a May '19 product and the Maruti website said I should get it checked when I tried with my chassis number.
I received an email from Pratham motors last night and took the car today to get it checked. They jacked up the car and got the ISG batch number and keyed it in along with the chassis and engine number into their system and it showed up as 'NG' vehicle (Not Good in Maruti speak), which means the ISG system is suspect and needs to be replaced. There was another customer who had got his car in March and his vehicle also showed up as 'NG'. I have left the car for the replacement of the ISG. In order to get to the ISG, they have to dismantle the driveshaft and the exhaust. So there are some bolts, sealants which have to be replaced as part of the fix. They have indicated a 3 days window for this replacement to be completed. I'm hoping they can turn this around sooner!

Overall they have seen about 10-12 vehicles since yesterday and 4 of them have shown up as NG.
madhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 19:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
My Ertiga is a May '19 product and the Maruti website said I should get it checked when I tried with my chassis number.
I received an email from Pratham motors last night and took the car today to get it checked. They jacked up the car and got the ISG batch number and keyed it in along with the chassis and engine number into their system and it showed up as 'NG' vehicle (Not Good in Maruti speak), which means the ISG system is suspect and needs to be replaced. There was another customer who had got his car in March and his vehicle also showed up as 'NG'. I have left the car for the replacement of the ISG. In order to get to the ISG, they have to dismantle the driveshaft and the exhaust. So there are some bolts, sealants which have to be replaced as part of the fix. They have indicated a 3 days window for this replacement to be completed. I'm hoping they can turn this around sooner!

Overall they have seen about 10-12 vehicles since yesterday and 4 of them have shown up as NG.
Got my XL6 checked at Mandovi today and the ISG needs replacement. They are not sure when they can get the replacement as spares are in short supply. Hope it's sooner than later.
Old 9th December 2019, 06:32   #28

Took the XL6 to Bimal (BG Road). Post-inspection they've retained the vehicle for a replacement of the faulty part. I was told it could take 5-6 hours, it then became a day. I await further updates later today.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Good to see a recall.
  2. Quite surprised that a fire hazard was left undetected in a hybrid car. Perhaps insufficient testing of particular vendor's supplied items before cars using it were launched.
  3. Around 5 cars have already faced thermal excess/smoke/fire issues. Surprising that it wasn't well advertised like it happens in case of other vendors.
  4. Good job of MSIL PR as always to keep customers happy & avoid bad publicity on social media so far.
  5. A bit disappointed that the fix involves removal of exhaust/ducting components that are sealed from factory. I don't trust dealership workshops to manage to get the same finish as is OEM at factory. I hope they do a good job of implementing the fix & MSIL arranges for factory experts to supervise the jobs being done by the mechanics on recalled cars.

Talk of Formula-1 technology always becoming passenger car technology in 1 decade from inception. Wasn't even a full decade ago that we started hearing "Overheating MGU K/MGU H" in Honda, Renault engines all the time on driver-engineer radio comms.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th December 2019 at 10:24.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 11:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks4077 View Post
Got my XL6 checked at Mandovi today and the ISG needs replacement. They are not sure when they can get the replacement as spares are in short supply. Hope it's sooner than later.
Update - Got a call from the Mandovi Service Centre Manager, and looks like the replacement part will be coming in today evening. He said I should be able to get the car back tomorrow evening, or latest Wednesday. That is a pretty good turnaround since they had no clue on Sunday regarding part availability.
sparks4077 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks