Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2019?
Maruti S-Presso 14 0.51%
Maruti WagonR 16 0.58%
Renault Triber 231 8.40%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 13 0.47%
Hyundai Venue 81 2.94%
Mahindra XUV300 73 2.65%
Nissan Kicks 8 0.29%
Kia Seltos 1499 54.49%
MG Hector 115 4.18%
Tata Harrier 431 15.67%
Honda Civic 57 2.07%
Hyundai Kona 130 4.73%
Toyota Camry 22 0.80%
BMW 3-Series 57 2.07%
Audi A6 4 0.15%
Voters: 2751. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 16:05   #256
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!

Voted for Harrier-Not because I own it.

Most of the dislikes listed against Harrier are resolved already and it is no more a beta work-in-progress version. There is no reason why Harrier should not succeed once TATA overcomes the negative publicity existing against it in the market.
There is no doubt that Kia Seltos is a great car, but one should also look what you get for what you pay in that segment.
igniteddriver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 16:16   #257
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Kona. Hyundai just showed Indians that commonplace electric cars need not be badly built or unusable like Reva/Mahindra's attempt . I must say its a pretty daring feat by Hyundai to bring in a completely new technology here considering how merciless Indian market is if a new product goes wrong. The Kona will really make people think about having a fully electric vehicle in their garage.

The KIA Seltos is a great car and rightly deserves to the car-of-the-year, but personally, I would say its just an extension of Hyundai Creta. I mean, it would have sold the same way if Hyundai had launched it as next gen Creta or a new model name with so many engine and transmission options and went on to become car of the year ! She does not get me 'pumped'.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 16:49   #258
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Kia Seltos.

A brand new product from a relatively unknown manufacturer in India, priced at a rather not-so-affordable 15-20 L segment is being lapped by buyers in metros as well as in smaller towns to an extent that it is doing 13000 to 14000 copies a month. Sure, there might be the initial novelty factor of buying a fresh product but going by the number of bookings they have garnered so far, Kia has already made a grand entry in India with just one product. The Seltos is a wonderful product, just strikes the right chord with any buyer. I know of atleast two people in my close circle who were in the market to buy a 8-10 L vehicle but were swayed by the Seltos, so much so that they have doubled their budget and neither of them mind the long waiting period.
//M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 17:11   #259
BHPian

Voted for Harrier though very recently took delivery of my Seltos.

Have test driven Harrier couple of times and to me it is clearly a product much closer to be a SUV, superior in areas like build, ride & handling, road presence, drive quality etc. These traits matters to me and can say so about many BHpens .

Second choice of course would be Seltos.
S.MJet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 17:31   #260
BHPian

My vote was for the Harrier. Right from the time that H5X was announced, I have been following every thread about this marquee machine from the House of Tatas. Yes, there have indeed been some initial issues that have taken time in resolving and which paved way for MG Hector to grab the market in a big way. But for styling, ride quality and road presence, the Harrier justifies its 20L price point.

If the Harrier was not on this list, I would have definitely voted for Kia Seltos. Great looks, well put together and features that would make an owner mighty proud and his/her neighbor turn multiple shades of green in envy.
madhukriss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 17:46   #261
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Harrier because it is a fine example of an 'Indian' car. Also it is from an Indian car manufacturer that builds safe cars. Save for some rough edges it had hold its own against any MNC in India, and in many markets across the world. It deserves to be more successful than it is.
avishar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 19:46   #262
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Renault Triber! It's the only car listed which gives bang for your hard earned money. It created new segment all together and package is simply wonderful. You can't expect more at this price. It's a great package which offers 5 seats with loads of luggage space or occasional 6-7 seats in city runs or 4 adults + two kids, and few more options you can try. Looks brilliant and quality is also acceptable for the price you pay. Looking for better, more powerful 1.2 Liter engine, that will make Triber a complete car. Hope for the best
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 20:42   #263
BANNED

Hyundai Kona. The only car that stood out in this list by virtue of having the propulsion system of the future but also being a very practical family car.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 21:09   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

No, not the MG Hector, another Asian carmaker debut here. The donkey versus MG Hector road adventure was quite a nightmare.

Kia Seltos gets my vote. Kia's USP : Asian company, good customer relations till date, has skyrocketed up the Top 10 best sellers list @ # 6 with 14,005 units sold during Nov 2019, much like a monster hit single catapults itself into the Billboard Top 10 (remember "we are the world by US Aid For Africa" from 1985. The Kia Seltos has firmly ingrained itself, into our mindsets as a long termer, within a short time from a trustworthy car maker.

There are some 35 - 40 hit singles that have debuted at # 1 directly on the Billboard charts incl "Candle In The Wind 1997/Something About The Way You Look Tonight" , Chart Debut Date: October 11, 1997 by Elton John and many more. But such debuts happen only on the music charts. On the automobile sales charts such entries with a big bang cannot be thought of under normal circumstances.

Let us hope Kia does well and gains it's foothold in our market.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th December 2019 at 21:11.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 23:27   #265
BHPian

I've voted the Harrier (though I don't own it) because of

1. Its macho look
2. The pricing which is aggressive and on par with its competitors
3. Cruising on highways is fun as you don't feel the journey tiresome
4. Safety because of its 6 airbags

Best part is Harrier is built on the Rover Platforms and thus its loaded with many features but the only downside I observed is, even though it has masculine look it is not suited for off-road trails as this vehicle is neither AWD/RWD but FWD.

FWD is of no use except to the manufacturers that gives them extra bucks to bag, a little better fuel economy and provide a little more space than RWD's.
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 00:55   #266
BHPian

I voted for KIA seltos, very competitive car and clicks almost all checkboxes for the perfect family car. The numbers speaking for themselves. I had a close look at the car at a mall and it seriously looks well built and the material used inside looks premium.
Old 10th December 2019, 02:00   #267
BHPian

Voted for the Triber, though I purchased a Grand i10 two weeks ago. The Triber is a perfect multipurpose vehicle for families who have a budget of under Rs 10L. Had it been a Hyundai, it would have been in my garage today. My family is unwilling to consider a car which is not a Hyundai or at least, a Maruti.
misquitas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 09:00   #268
BHPian

Voted for the Kia Seltos.

I liked Tata Harrier too and thought of voting for it, but the niggles and lackluster service made me think otherwise. And the third would be XUV300.
Old 10th December 2019, 10:01   #269
BHPian

Harrier, of course which I liked from the initial H5 days. Booked the car but did not take it since it was missing AT. I have not cancelled it yet, waiting for TATA to include AT and improve customer relation.

The first call i received from TATA when deliveries started was "Sir, this is regarding your booking of Harrier. Will you be taking delivery or cancelling it!"
vivek_lo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 11:11   #270
BHPian

Being an Indian, this is by far the saddest poll I have participated in.
This coveted title ("The car of the year") was Tata's to lose - they had everything going in for them at the start of the year, the Harrier had smashing looks (still does look the best in my opinion), features and performance looked good on paper, and of course there was the pride of it being the home-grown vehicle. Sad to see them at the second spot - as most pointed out in this forum, that little lack of patience and attention to detail has cost them a lot.

Kudos to Kia for playing it nicely. Well-deserved - they didnt put a foot wrong with the Seltos.

Last edited by nishsingh : 10th December 2019 at 11:14.
nishsingh is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed