Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2019?
Maruti S-Presso 14 0.51%
Maruti WagonR 16 0.58%
Renault Triber 231 8.40%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 13 0.47%
Hyundai Venue 81 2.94%
Mahindra XUV300 73 2.65%
Nissan Kicks 8 0.29%
Kia Seltos 1499 54.49%
MG Hector 115 4.18%
Tata Harrier 431 15.67%
Honda Civic 57 2.07%
Hyundai Kona 130 4.73%
Toyota Camry 22 0.80%
BMW 3-Series 57 2.07%
Audi A6 4 0.15%
Voters: 2751. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 11:09   #241
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!

As the title suggests that it is an award for the product and not a company's strategy and function, I tried very much to decide my vote looking only at the cars of 2019. The cars in the lower segments didn't offer anything new (or old) to turn my head towards. Kia Seltos is my vote. Congratulations, Kia.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:55   #242
BHPian

Going with the flow i vote for the Kia Seltos. Had to choose between the MG Hector and the Seltos. Both are relatively un-known brands in India (more so for the Hector - iconic British brand with Chinese ownership, i guess they had to work more to establish their brand in India). Both brands took a big gamble by not going for a hatchback but choosing a relatively crowded category of SUV's. Fortune favors the brave as they say and the results are out for everyone to see.

Overall package of the Seltos just scored higher than that of the Hector for me including the underlying peace of the mind message relayed by the Korean brand.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:01   #243
BHPian

Voted for the Harrier.

Yes, I know, the Seltos is the winner hands down!

However, I feel, as a product, the Harrier is a HUGE improvement from the house of TATA, and should be appreciated for the efforts and the price point it has been offered at.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:10   #244
BHPian

Kia Seltos.

For its quality and being feature rich in a stagnant market where players were minting money just based on looks and even reducing features over time. And also for beating it's competitor - Hector.

But more importantly because if it was available about an year ago, I would have gone for it eyes closed over my Ecosport Titanium+ AT.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:29   #245
BHPian

Voted for the 'Harrier', though was tough not to go for the 'Seltos'. Although both vehicles can't be compared head-on due to being in different segments (UV1 Vs UV2 as per SIAM).
Sure there will be issues in the initial production lot (and not-so-good experience of TATA dealers and service for buyers), but looking beyond all that it is a genuinely good looking and reasonably powerful car from the marque (bizarrely, it somehow reminded me of the controversial Pontiac Aztek Rally!)
However, with BS VI compliance coming into effect from Mar'20, I believe the excellent petrol power train options of the 'Seltos' will become much more relevant and affordable!
Old 9th December 2019, 12:34   #246
Team-BHP Support

Had a long weekend, so noticing this thread late. Looks like a sweeping victory is in the making for Kia Seltos.

Anyways, my vote goes to the Seltos as well. Great product, great effort in launching an all-out attack, great marketing, and brand building, great initial sales push - Kia hasn't put a foot wrong with their first outing.

Renault Triber deserves a special mention as it is obvious that Renault has once again burned the midnight oil in coming up with a truly differentiated product. MG Hector is an above-average product backed by a great team, and TATA Harrier is a great product backed by an above-average team.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 12:46   #247
BHPian

My vote goes to the Seltos. Kia has done their homework and as a result, caught the imagination of the Indian car buyer from the word go! In the Seltos we have a well-engineered, contemporary and thoroughly modern product that seems to have something for everyone - both the sensible and the enthusiast ( I think in most cases they are mutually exclusive )
Old 9th December 2019, 13:14   #248
BHPian

Pretty rhetorical poll IMHO - i am pretty sure results will be totally one sided!
Old 9th December 2019, 13:47   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed this thread quite late too!

Vote goes for the Mahindra XUV 300.
The Seltos came close, but it hasn't really moved the game forward for either Hyundai-Kia - same reason for the Venue.

If there were separate awards for Manufacturer & COTY, then my vote may have differed, but the new XUV shows how much progress Mahindra has made over the years, and unlike Tata - they seem to have done their homework that much better (and I really like the Harrier!).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 13:50   #250
BHPian

My vote went to the Kia Seltos. The reasons are simple, it has struck all the right chords and the sales numbers are a proof of the package it brings to the table. Harrier would have been my second choice.
Old 9th December 2019, 14:17   #251
Senior - BHPian

While it is no surprise the Seltos is leading, I have voted for the Triber. While the Seltos is a nice rounded vehicle with a huge variant portfolio to choose from, I feel a lot of the success it is seeing is due to their timing to market. The market is flocking towards SUV's and there is no real alternative apart from the Creta which is anyway due for a facelift.

I voted for the Triber as it truly is a remarkably engineered vehicle and suits the Indian requirement perfectly. They have created an all new segment with fresh out of the box thinking and I'm so glad to see the product doing well in the market. Fingers crossed Renault support the product well in the field with good customer service.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 9th December 2019 at 14:19.
fiat_tarun is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 14:22   #252
BHPian

Voted for the Kia Seltos, with the Tata Harrier coming in a close second in my books.
The Seltos has had a blockbuster opening in India and all credit to the folks at Kia for getting in a well rounded product that ticks almost all boxes. The amazing market reponse just reinforces that!
The Harrier has also been a breakthrough product from Tata and my only wish was that Tata had waited some more time before coming in full ready with the Harrier. It had potential for so much more had Tata come in fully prepared!
Old 9th December 2019, 14:48   #253
BHPian

Voted for the Kia Seltos.

It's a no-brainer this time around- the Seltos offers the complete package that has the widest appeal- reflected by its overwhelming sales numbers.

However, sadly this car won't be on my radar when I go into the market for an upgrade early next year since it does not satisfy one of my top two requirements from a new car- a plush ride. They've got everything else right in this car, but it still isn't good enough for me!
Old 9th December 2019, 15:09   #254
BHPian

Voted for Renault Triber.

A well priced and practical car with loads of space, modular seating layout, etc., makes me vote for the Triber.

If I had a second option, I would have voted for Kia Seltos.

Last edited by Tom Sooraj : 9th December 2019 at 15:28.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 15:29   #255
BHPian

My pick of the lot was Kia Seltos. It was a close call as I had my heart set on the Honda Civic but as Honda's quality has reduced a lot in the past few years so had to side with Kia Seltos as it has a wide-spread of options in each category, all BS 6 compliant engines and competitive pricing. MG Hector is good too with its panoramic sunroof but the engine is BS-IV and the stance is more MUV than SUV. Hence the vote.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed