Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2019?
Maruti S-Presso 14 0.51%
Maruti WagonR 16 0.58%
Renault Triber 231 8.40%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 13 0.47%
Hyundai Venue 81 2.94%
Mahindra XUV300 73 2.65%
Nissan Kicks 8 0.29%
Kia Seltos 1499 54.49%
MG Hector 115 4.18%
Tata Harrier 431 15.67%
Honda Civic 57 2.07%
Hyundai Kona 130 4.73%
Toyota Camry 22 0.80%
BMW 3-Series 57 2.07%
Audi A6 4 0.15%
Voters: 2751. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 20:38   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!

Voted for the Hyundai Kona - arguably the best EV sold in India. If electric is the future, the Kona is the frontrunner in India. Not many takers for this, because of the price and range limitation, but a COTY is not about how appealing it is to the buyer - it is more about ground-breaking technology.

If popularity were the benchmark, I'd have voted for the XL6. Sadly, that is not in the list of cars present in the poll.
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 21:04   #302
BHPian

Surprised at Seltos winning by a big margin! It is a just a gloried small SUV with all the bells and whistles along with kitchen sink thrown in as well! Would have preferred to see a groundbreaking product like Kona or Harrier (for Tata) there in the top. In that way, felt Venue is a unique proposition for the SUV crazy Indian consumers, forgetting its size! With its load of electronics, many of which are class first is actually a very capable vehicle under the psychological mark of 10 lakhs.

Last edited by sgmuser : 12th December 2019 at 21:04. Reason: typo.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 21:29   #303
BHPian

Kia Seltos for me. Best all rounder with good VFM
Have already bought the 1.5GTK Diesel !!!
Old 12th December 2019, 22:08   #304

I Bought the Triber, But still went for the KIA seltos simply because of the fit and finish it brought to the market, Hyundai set the bar a decade ago with interior space and management being their forte, Now KIA just raised the bar to a whole new level. suddenly we find Hyundai second fiddle to KIA. not to forget the engine options KIA also has. - wow.

Triber would've been my first choice actually because it did something (different for the masses) which even the market leader sat back with a lax attitude and slowly started over pricing their products.
KIA and triber are of totally diff segments but my fav for now, TWO of them.

-- colin
colinpete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 23:44   #305

I have noted for Tata Harrier as COTY. I think Tata has made major progress in coming up with the car and the value it offers is incredible. This has forced me to consider Harrier even after a botched start with an unfinished product at the media drive to have first mover advantage over Hector and Seltos. As evident in the fresh batches these wrinkles have been sorted by Tata motors thus makes a compelling case for Harrier.

Kia Seltos, which is going to win the COTY award, deserves a special mention because of the positioning and full throttle approach to Indian Market and not compromising on variants and bling factor.
PiyushD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 05:49   #306
BHPian

I voted for the Kia Seltos. When I voted I had no idea what other people had already voted for. But after I had voted, it came as no surprise to see more than 50% had voted for the Seltos.

After much consideration I had booked a GTX+ DCT in Oct. Hoping to have it delivered within the next few months.

This car is definitely head and shoulders above all others.

Having said that, I would like to add a caveat. At THIS point in time that is the situation. But when 2020 rolls in with a host of other new models ALSO offering a bunch of gizmos the situation is going to change. So Seltos can make hay while the sun shines.

I also heard that Kia Motors is planning to jack up the price significantly from 1st Jan 2020. This may not be a wise move. Penny wise pound foolish, I will say. A lot of those who had booked the Seltos will then change their booking to other new cars offering similar gizmos.
Old 13th December 2019, 12:58   #307
BHPian

Voted for Kia Seltos,

Pros:
1. Build quality
2. Multiple engine options - a variant for everyone.
3. 1.4-litre Turbo petrol sounds promising, although haven't gotten a chance to drive it yet.
4. Looks sleek.
5. Modern interiors
6. Top end has some unique features ( love the turn indicator camera in instrument cluster, popping HUD)

Cons (I am only nitpicking here):
1. Ride quality could have been a better - may be i am comparing it with the master here - Hexa.
2. Boot space could have been more compared to MG Hector.

My vote would have gone for MG Hector, if only the tires were a little bigger. They look too small for the size of it.

MG Hector close second tied with Harrier Black edition.
Old 13th December 2019, 13:04   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Pretty much a mathematical certainty from the start of the poll that the Kia Seltos would win it. I like the car myself a lot. Nothing to complain about in it really. Perfect package and VFM till the prices are in introductory range.

However, my vote went to the odd one. Tata Harrier. The points that matter to me & why the Harrier -
  1. Solid build
  2. Robust mechanicals & chassis
  3. Space
  4. Stand out design that can never get lost in crowd
  5. Minimal gizmos and electronic wizardry, a pure machine (Prefer to pay for steel and power rather than software & tablet display.)
  6. Very good ground clearance
  7. Enchanting music output
  8. A homegrown brand
  9. Proven low cost service & cheap spare parts from Tata

Interestingly it is running (a distant) 2nd to the Seltos in the poll. That in itself is a remarkable achievement in the mass market scenario I'd say.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th December 2019 at 13:06.
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 14:55   #309
BHPian

Voted for Triber. A really good 7 seater at a very competitive price and good looking too. Renault makes the india's biggest company to sit up and take notice about the product. Very good going Renault.
mahadev_kc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 15:18   #310
BHPian

Great cars no doubt but just not able to not make up my mind. None are standing out. Hence a no vote. Sorry!
Old 13th December 2019, 15:56   #311
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the underdog Harrier, as it would take a lot of guts for a company with dwindling market value, share and a bucket load of debt to experiment in a new segment. When Harrier was launched, people were a little too optimistic in expecting it to be priced in Creta's territory, that's where I felt it lost the game and not because of niggles or Tata brand. I would rate Triber second to the harrier.

Never expected that the Seltos would sweep it this clean. But, honestly upon retrospection realized that most prospective Seltos customers would have anyways bought the Creta if the Seltos didn't undercut in terms of price. It also has the advantage of having BS6 compliant engines in an ambiguous market. I am guessing the numbers would come down in 2020 when all vehicles are BS6 compliant and most other cars would catch-up with the features.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 13th December 2019 at 15:57.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 17:19   #312
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Triber but really happy to see that Harrier is at number 2

It's a really good car but as always Tata missed few things. No AT to begin with, no black color, missing 170 BHP motor, small niggles & issues in new car and to support all these Tata's infamous sales and A.S.S. Else this car has tremendous potential and should sell more than double than its current numbers.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 09:44   #313

I voted for Hyundai Venue. It's a compact car and the brand can be relied upon. It gives you the choice of different engines and gearbox options that you can choose from and for a daily driver it has a good ride and handling balance as required by a car enthusiast. If I had to buy one of the cars listed in the voting list according to my budget, reliability and research, no doubt it would be Hyundai's Venue. If reliability was not an issue for me, I would have gone for Kia Seltos without any doubt. Infact I love Seltos the most among the listed cars but I have trust issues with the brand and I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on something that I don't trust. But if the cars are given for free then I'll choose Kia Seltos
Old 14th December 2019, 13:52   #314
BHPian

Heart with Harrier but voted Seltos instead. It's great to see TATA reach the mechanical maturity that it has, but they have their work cut out in terms of gauging customer requirements and reading the competition.

Seltos gets it spot on with the looks, product, pricing and variants, but what I've seen at the dealerships gives rise to concerns. Out of the 5 visits to a dealership 4 of them I've seen customers getting rowdy with sales person with missed delivery dates, over-promising and under delivering, that is clearly giving way to frustrations. Hoping that KIA doesn't mess bu the A.S.S experience which is still to be seen.
layndrivr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 17:48   #315
BHPian

I've voted for Kia Seltos based on its looks and engines. Though the car feels very comfortable to drive with good grunt, I feel Kia must improve in the following aspects:
  • Attitude of Sales executives towards potential customers
  • Mention the actual tech specs of the car such as Weight and ground clearance of the car
  • ESP, TC and Hill hold in all AT variants as I feel this a glaring safety lapse by a reputed organization.
  • Reduce the prices of certain variants as this car isn't worth 21-22L OTR Bangalore.

For such money, one can get a proper D segment sedan or a seven seater SUV such as XUV,Hexa or Innova crysta for the reliability conscious folks.

Other potent cars for this year are Triber, Harrier and Kicks. The latter two could have been blockbusters if their companies had given the right features with the right quality and right marketing.

Hyundai Kona is just a Halo product. If the price was about 12L, the Kona would have given Polo GT TSI sleepless nights!

Last edited by jithin23 : 14th December 2019 at 17:51. Reason: Spelling
Closed Thread

Most Viewed