Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2019?
Maruti S-Presso 14 0.51%
Maruti WagonR 16 0.58%
Renault Triber 231 8.40%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 13 0.47%
Hyundai Venue 81 2.94%
Mahindra XUV300 73 2.65%
Nissan Kicks 8 0.29%
Kia Seltos 1499 54.49%
MG Hector 115 4.18%
Tata Harrier 431 15.67%
Honda Civic 57 2.07%
Hyundai Kona 130 4.73%
Toyota Camry 22 0.80%
BMW 3-Series 57 2.07%
Audi A6 4 0.15%
Voters: 2751. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2019, 14:28   #346
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!

Voted for the Seltos (though I have not driven it only seen it in person). The reasons are about the same as every one else here.

The only reason I didn't even consider the Triber though it is in my budget is simply because of Renault India Track record on making unsafe cars.

I am just apprehensive of the corners they would have cut to be able to position this vehicle along side hatchbacks in our market (not that all the hatchbacks in our market are that safe anyways but still counts against my vote).
Old 24th December 2019, 17:38   #347
BHPian

My vote is for Kia Seltos
close second is TATA Harrier for its macho design cues
maverick56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 21:51   #348
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Kia Seltos. It is fine vehicle with good build and quality along with good engines and transmissions. The Hyundai Venue would be my next choice. Both these cars have shaken up their segments. I love the Toyota Camry as well.

I would have loved to vote for the Mahindra XUV300 or the Tata Harrier, but both have had problems. In today's competitive market, you just cannot introduce unsorted products.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 22:38   #349
BHPian

Voted for Kia Seltos.

Seltos seems to be well balanced offering from Kia providing various options to the buyers whether be it engines or transmission. No wonder they seem to have hit a sweet spot with Indian customers.
Old 25th December 2019, 11:58   #350
BHPian

Voted for Toyota Camry, Really like the distinct look of the car. Since, I drive a prev-gen Honda Accord, in this segment its the only one worth going for, thanks to the bullet proof brand name Toyota.
Old 25th December 2019, 13:02   #351
BHPian

Voted for Seltos

Though heart longs for Harrier, i had to reward Kia for getting things right for the first time itself and in a timely manner.

Three engine choices with three types of auto transmissions along with manual right at the launch is something done first time in India and more so kia did it perfectly. Another most important also very important determining factor for me is that all its models are BS-VI from day one (shame on you other manufacturers for your weird and not being environmentally conscious and not being consumer friendly behavior either). Well done, KIA

I had booked Seltos in Aug but in the end cancelled because my heart overcame the mind by using the cost as the cue.

Tata had the perfect opportunity in Harrier but as usual it had let it go from its hands. They are really making amazing products but somehow failing in their last hurdle or in their finer execution strategy I wish they get their act together fast and become agile to meet market needs right at the first time.

Harrier is a fantastic product and i do wish Tata to learn from there and scale higher.

Till then, Kudo's KIA for taking a huge bet on Indian market and getting it right at the first time.
TurboOnTarmac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 13:08   #352
BHPian

Voted for the Hyundai Kona

It's a bold move by Hyundai and will impress upon other auto brands to work on/launch new EV in the Indian market. It was high time Indian EVs meant more than the impractical Reva/E2O. Sure, the Kona has its share of challenges in terms of price, distance range, access to charging stations and such; but someone had to make the first move, and it's a Korean brand that did it and with a premium product no less, and that deserves to be appreciated.

Was very tempted to vote for the Kia Seltos. However, the number of issues plaguing many of the buyers such as Transmission heating, ICE malfunctioning, Touchscreen Infotainment unit freezing are simply unacceptable. All these simply do not merit an award no matter how good the product otherwise, at least in my books. (I have to admit that these issues were reported widely on the net in Oct/Nov, and there have been no follow-up articles. I have no way of ascertaining if these were fixed subsequently without further grievances.) Some short-comings in after-sales service can be forgiven for a brand entering a new market. But there is no excuse for a product that does not give the peace of mind and joy for the hard-earned money and trust invested by customers.

The new Civic was revving high on my list at the beginning of this year, but what a disappointment it turned out to be. A lacklustre vtec engine that does not live up to its predecessor's lively spirits, and the car is simply overpriced in comparison to its competition.

Hence, the Kona. Good stuff, Hyundai!
Old 26th December 2019, 12:26   #353

Voted for Tata Harrier. Agreed the car comes with a fair share of niggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
I would also like to give a special mention the Tata Harrier, not for the final product and response perse, but for how far the brand has come! I am really excited for Tata's future products.
I belong to the same school of thoughts.

Moreover, I believe Tata as a brand is a torch bearer for Indian manufacturers and in my opinion, Harrier in true sense deserves to be the car of the year.
dennischoksi999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 15:40   #354
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Hector. This is the car I would have voted for with my money as well had I been in India and in the market to buy a car.
A close second would have been Harrier.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 23:28   #355
BHPian

Voted for TATA HARRIER. For me, it was a close call between HARRIER and RENAULT TRIBER.

Renault has done a commendable job of dishing out a proper 7 seater with a very usable third row in a sub 4 meter car. It wasn't an easy task by any means. But Renault's innovative approach to space management has yielded very desirable results. The car scores high on practicality aspect and can prove an ideal family car for most of the first time car buyers from vast middle class of the country that constitutes major chunk of the Indian car market. In that way it would leave a considerable impact and I can see it replicating the success story of Renault Kwid or even better it in near future. The fact that it has been made keeping indian customers' requirements in mind makes it even important for our market. The upcoming 1.0 L turbo petrol will likely address the only major complaint regarding TRIBER.

Regarding my final choice, the Harrier, it is outcome of some very reliable and proven engineering from the JLR. The legendary chassis and and time tested Fiat engine make it a mechanically formidable machine. The package was made complete by superb ride & handling characteristics. These three things- chassis, engine, good ride & handling- are the SOUL of a vehicle, rest everything (bells & whistles) is just garnishing. In my opinion, it is hard to beat Harrier on these counts in sub 25k category. It's looks and commanding road presence is just mind blowing.

Of course there are some niggles in the car but it's the same story with almost every fresh product in the market. It will certainly improve with time. However, just because it's made by TATA, the approach of netizens has been like.. oh it's a TATA, it will be cheap and non premium. Even attitude of some automobile magazines has been pathetic and close to biased against TATA when it comes to review their products. I don't know about market sentiment but from my own experience I can tell that TATA vehicles are good for long term ownership and their maintenance is also very reasonable.
agt7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 14:17   #356

I voted for Kia Seltos. Because of the following reasons as mentioned in the Team-BHP review of Kia Seltos.
Aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 16:18   #357
BHPian

I was confused between TATA Harrier and KIA Seltos but finally voted for Kia mainly because of the overall value it gives to Indian consumers. TATA Harrier is a great product and one of the best looking SUV in this range but still somehow lacks value if you compare it with Seltos. I always felt that TATA launched Harrier in a hurry.

For me, Kia hit the sweet spot with their very first launch then be it Design, premium feel, features and most importantly plenty of variants to choose from including engine options. Seltos cover a broad price range between 11-20 lakhs and every variant provide some value to buyers compared to competition.

For the very same reason, I have booked one and for me it is Car of the Year 2019.
vivek_god9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 08:29   #358
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Taking a whopping 55% of the votes on the Team-BHP COTY poll (link to poll), the Kia Seltos is Team-BHP's Car of 2019! The Seltos got a total of 1,499 votes from BHPians, which is a new record on Team-BHP (link to historical numbers). Also in 2019, a total of 2,751 BHPians voted on the Team-BHP poll which is the highest in history. Lest we forget, this is the first time that a manufacturer has won the Team-BHP COTY in its debut year and with its debut product.

Congratulations to Kia & to the Seltos! This award & the market success are well-deserved. Kia arrived late to the Indian party, but boy has it arrived with a bang. In a market that is going through tough times & has seen volumes shrink by up to 20%, the Seltos is consistently doing 10,000+ sales / month! Frankly, this is unprecedented.

It's an all-rounder of a product, it's superbly engineered, it's loaded to the gills with equipment and it's well-priced. Of course, the Seltos is not flawless and the chinks in its armour have been covered in detail in our Official Review, yet it's THE car to buy in the 15 - 20 lakh segment. Period. Equally important is Kia raising the bar for everyone else to follow. End of the day, such models make the arena way more competitive and thus, better for us customers. God bless competition .

Kia has demonstrated just how a new manufacturer should enter India. This is the stuff of IIM case studies. Brilliant researching, product planning, execution, roll-out, marketing & pricing . See how they aggressively ramped up production to 10,000+ units! You need guts for that. Or how quickly they responded to market feedback & introduced the fully-loaded automatic variants. I’ve spoken to people in the industry and noticed that even the competitors respect Kia. That’s saying something.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2019 at 08:53.
GTO is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 18:06   #359
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!

Rated the best by the best

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!-screenshot_20191228_180329__01.jpg

Source : Kia on Instagram
Klub Class is online now   (51) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 21:50   #360
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!

Certainly Kia has done extensive market research & case studies before they went to the drawing room. They exactly know what people are looking for well done, Kia! But I still voted for Harrier

Earlier people were focused on engines and performance in which Harrier would’ve had a chance before Seltos came in as I believe Harrier took away the runner-up position. But now people are weighing the cars with the features on offer vs the engine capacity which doesn’t seem like is a big thing now compared to yesteryears, isn’t it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks