Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2019?
Maruti S-Presso 14 0.51%
Maruti WagonR 16 0.58%
Renault Triber 231 8.40%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 13 0.47%
Hyundai Venue 81 2.94%
Mahindra XUV300 73 2.65%
Nissan Kicks 8 0.29%
Kia Seltos 1499 54.49%
MG Hector 115 4.18%
Tata Harrier 431 15.67%
Honda Civic 57 2.07%
Hyundai Kona 130 4.73%
Toyota Camry 22 0.80%
BMW 3-Series 57 2.07%
Audi A6 4 0.15%
Voters: 2751. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 16:44   #46
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!

Pretty obvious choice, Kia Seltos.

The car is better than Creta which was already performing well and topping sales charts from long time.

The fit and finish is excellent and I really liked the exterior design elements.

Looking at the funny designs from Tata stable, Seltos carry a more subtle look.
Old 6th December 2019, 17:06   #47
BHPian

Believe me, I've ran this thought through me about a week back and it is quite a heart vs. mind game. While the mind goes for the unanimous Seltos, my heart wanted to give it out to a car that not only really stood out by its launch but also that the product was a genuine effort from a manufacturer that is good enough without major flaws and can truly be considered for a purchase, given the customer is open to an "early adopter" mindset.

Yes I am talking about the Hyundai Kona and I wanted to give it out to it for the honest efforts and belief in the manufacturer that this product would take off (if not in huge numbers given the infrastructure challenges) in India and that the product is a good EV all-rounder to date that does not hold any major deal-breakers in my honest opinion. Kudos to Hyundai

Cheers,
Vijay
vvijay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 17:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to the Kia Seltos. For the best car launch this country has seen in a while.

The MG Hector is a close second. Their story should be a part of B School Curriculums - How a Chinese company, used a British brand and created the perfect marketing strategy to enter the Indian market.
Old 6th December 2019, 17:12   #49
BHPian

Unlike last few years, there are actually many good launches this year worthy of winning this award. For me, Triber, Venue, XUV300, Hector and Seltos are all good enough to win. I was almost going to vote for Seltos - it has everything that a buyer ask for - styling, freshness, adequate size (not too big, nor too small), build quality and plenty of engine-transmission combos to choose from.

However, If I have to pick one, that would be Kona - first truly worthy electric car in India that would (and should) set the benchmark as to what car manufacturers need to bring to India (and not just convert existing FWD cars to electric by removing engine and plonking a few batteries with just about enough juice to do some grocery shopping nearby).
Old 6th December 2019, 17:16   #50
BHPian

Kia Seltos, hands down for me. I drove the DCT variant briefly and loved it inside out. Kudos to Kia for entering the Indian market with all guns blazing. No half baked cake here. Three engines and four transmissions options . Future proof BSVI engine too.

Seltos may well break all earlier records of biggest margin win as Team BHP car of the year. Let's take a look at the percentage of votes earlier winners got.

2010 - Figo - 38.30%
2011 - XUV5OO - 56.63%
2012 - Duster - 53.49%
2013 - Ecosport - 51.10%
2014 - Zest - 39.20%
2015 - Kwid - 29.28 % (Creta fell short by just 135 Votes )
2016 - Tiago - 36.76%
2017 - Compass - 43.86%
2018 - Marazzo - 36.97%
Moto_Hill is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 17:18   #51
BHPian

Voted for Kia Seltos.

Welcome to India, Kia. Bring it on!
Undoubtedly Kia is “King” of its segment. Selling 13000-14000 copies per month is no ordinary deal. What really helped Kia is Hyundai’s India market knowledge.
Kia used every bit of it. Kia made its intention very clear in auto expo-2018. I believe Seltos is just a trailer. Many more to come from Kia stable and many manufacturers are going to face heat in near future (ex: Toyota Innova). The good thing about Kia is it raised the bars in levels of quality, engine refinement, features and I am sure in service as well. I have already made up mind to replace my used Duster by used Seltos after few years.

Message to the manufacturers who are still struggling to understand Indian market is either you rise up to the competition or you will die. Leave all the ego, and take a leaf out of Kia's book. Honda, are you listening?
Old 6th December 2019, 17:38   #52
Team-BHP Support

An extremely easy one this year - Kia Seltos!

Firstly Kia chose the right segment and product for their Indian entry, and the planning and execution was just top notch. Even to the fact that they added a top-end AT quite immediately after the unveil is another measure of their market-sense.

And the product as such speak for itself - in my opinion they have created a bench mark in the segment; so much that Hyundai will need to pull out something magnificent with the new Creta to stay in the run.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 17:53   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Call it a game changer, a market dynamic changer, or just catering to the biggest need of the car-buying public today - a compact SUV with just the right size to breeze through city roads & highways with ease, loaded to the gills, and having nearly all variants one can think of, for almost all types of buyers.

In short, there is a Seltos for everyone.

The Kia wins it hands down for me.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 17:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Kia Seltos.

I like the Tata Harrier also, but comparing both KIA Seltos score more
Old 6th December 2019, 17:59   #55
BANNED

Kia Seltos it is!

It just blows the competition away without a doubt. All these days Creta was the best seller and customers struggled to get any kind of discounts on it. After the Seltos was launched, the Creta has been mighty dethroned and now I can see discounts running up to ₹85,000.

Yet to drive the Seltos but I feel Kia chose the right car with the right features to enter India and dispatch figures speak for the car's success. Hope this success doesn't reach their heads and put a price hike that upsets customers who are waiting in-line for deliveries and also for all future releases.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 18:12   #56
BHPian

Unlike last year when there was no standout product and I grudgingly voted for the Marazzo, this year was a no contest. Seltos is going to win all COTY awards, just like Lata Mangeshkar used to win all Filmfare awards. Excellent decision by Kia to launch in the segment where Creta was having it too easy, lording it over like the Nawab of Awadh and getting fat. It also reminds me of that highly anticipated big budget movie that launches at the end of the year and sweeps away all the awards after the early movies have faded from memory.

Was simultaneously looking at the monthly sales figure from yesterday's thread and it is hard to miss how brutally the Seltos has dethroned it's cousin Creta, who I suspect is also being undone by it's sibling Venue.

Last edited by Malyaj : 6th December 2019 at 18:15.
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 18:35   #57
BHPian

I wanted to vote for KIA but ended up voting for Triber. I have liked Renault products for their ride and handling but they often couldn't give a complete package. Add to that the "slight of the hand" during Captur's launch. But, with Triber it seems like a honest effort at making mark in the market. Also, as a product it seems to have very less flaws for the segment it competes in. As a person, I always tend to lean towards the underdog. So, was overwhelmed by emotions and voted for Triber even though head screamed Seltos!!
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 18:44   #58
BHPian

Gave my vote to Seltos.

It has been a game changer in the dull Indian market and Kia has hit the ball out of the park. I wish Kia & their dealers dont take this success for granted and get sloppy with the long term ownership experience for their customers.
Old 6th December 2019, 18:51   #59
BHPian

First vote to Grand i10 nios comes from my side. I find it really alluring among all its boring peers. Its interiors have really robbed my heart and thats about a car which is something 6 lacs on road.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 18:52   #60
BHPian

Voted for the Kia Seltos. Kia has hit the bull's eye in the Indian market. A relatively unknown brand for the layman in India before the launch of Seltos, as GTO said this is stuff for IIM case studies on how to enter India with a brand.

Even though I'm not in the market for a car, I absolutely love the amount of engine/variant options Kia provides. Clearly shows that they've done their homework on the Indian Market. I do see a lot of Seltos's on Bangalore roads daily and the number seems to be increasing.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks