Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st July 2020, 00:52   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021

Maruti top bosses would be smiling ear to ear looking at the way how diesel prices have panned out. This has literally given them a soft landing from the momentous blunder they committed by pulling out diesel engines from the market.

It seems that this company can do no wrong. Even when they fail to read the market, the market turns around and plays to their strategy!
warrioraks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 21:59   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Maruti top bosses would be smiling ear to ear looking at the way how diesel prices have panned out. This has literally given them a soft landing from the momentous blunder they committed by pulling out diesel engines from the market.

It seems that this company can do no wrong. Even when they fail to read the market, the market turns around and plays to their strategy!
What about the Petrol price? It isn't doing them any favour. I would rather use Diesel car now than a petrol one and that is coming from a guy who loves and prefer to drive only petrol cars. Maruti Made a mistake and it reflects on their balance sheet regardless of the prices of fuel and that's just me!
Old 6th July 2020, 23:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
I would rather use Diesel car now than a petrol one
Interesting opinion, care to elaborate why?
Old 7th July 2020, 00:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Depending on the driving conditions, diesel will make sense for some people even if the price difference is minimal. In my case, we have two cars in our house. A 1.3 MJD Punto and a 1.2 petrol i10 Nios. For a daily driving of about 25kms, the Nios shows a mileage of 13.5 kmpl max. In the same route, the Punto gives a mileage of about 18kmpl( Both MID readings ) Today's fuel prices here in my town is Rs 76.5 for diesel and 80.8 for petrol. If I do the maths for a monthly driving of just 750kms, it comes to something around Rs 1200 savings per month if I use the diesel car.
Old 7th July 2020, 00:50   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Depending on the driving conditions, diesel will make sense for some people even if the price difference is minimal. In my case, we have two cars in our house. A 1.3 MJD Punto and a 1.2 petrol i10 Nios. For a daily driving of about 25kms, the Nios shows a mileage of 13.5 kmpl max. In the same route, the Punto gives a mileage of about 18kmpl( Both MID readings ) Today's fuel prices here in my town is Rs 76.5 for diesel and 80.8 for petrol. If I do the maths for a monthly driving of just 750kms, it comes to something around Rs 1200 savings per month if I use the diesel car.
Your calculations strengthen the economic case for petrol cars. Based on the numbers in your post, how many years before you recover the cost of paying higher upfront cost for a diesel engine?

The way I see it, diesel cars make sense only for customers wanting diesel and nothing else. Not for those who are looking for saving money on account of higher mileage/lower cost of diesel.

Last edited by warrioraks : 7th July 2020 at 01:04.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 01:19   #66
BHPian

The cost recovery argument is really a misnomer in my opinion. No one actually maintains spreadsheets of cost recovery for their cars in real life. What matters is the daily running cost and there the Diesel economy helps the family budgets.

Imagine doing a 4000 kms trip on a petrol car vs a diesel car and the numbers are enough to justify the long term cost.

You may do such a trip once or twice in the lifetime of the car but it matters.

In the end this is a never ending debate and it boils down to whether you value running expenses more or a bit of additional upfront cost.
Old 7th July 2020, 01:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The cost recovery argument is really a misnomer in my opinion. No one actually maintains spreadsheets of cost recovery for their cars in real life.
You actually don’t need to maintain a spreadsheet over years to figure out the numbers in this case

Quote:
In the end this is a never ending debate and it boils down to whether you value running expenses more or a bit of additional upfront cost.
I agree with you. To each his own. I fall in the former category. Don’t mind paying more if I consume more. But big upfront costs to get benefits in the future, not for me.

Going back to my point few posts back, the current fuel scenario will most likely dampen consumer preference for diesel. Which ultimately softens the impact on Maruti for withdrawing diesel engines from the market.

Last edited by warrioraks : 7th July 2020 at 01:45.
Old 7th July 2020, 03:09   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Your calculations strengthen the economic case for petrol cars. Based on the numbers in your post, how many years before you recover the cost of paying higher upfront cost for a diesel engine?
Actually the point I was trying to make was that diesels give real world mileage closer to the claimed mileage, even when the road conditions are bad. So for someone like me who drives mostly in rural bad roads, diesel might still make sense.
Since you are asking about the break even calculation, I have to tell you that my monthly average running is not just 750 kms. It is usually between 1200-1500 kms. With that kind of running, if I extrapolate the same mileage figures and the same fuel costs, the extra 1 lakh that I pay for the diesel car is recovered in 4 or 5 years.

Last edited by Night Raven : 7th July 2020 at 03:16. Reason: Adding text
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 07:33   #69
BHPian

When Maruti announced that they are exiting the small diesel segment, I felt that it was the first genuine biggest blunder of Maruti. Sure the demand for small petrol is increasing and that of diesel is decreasing but the taxi segment where Maruti has a strong foothold is still primarily small diesels, especially Dzire. No matter what there will always be enough demand for small diesels in the near future. I was proved right when they decided that they won't exit the segment now. Now I think whether it was all a ploy to get all their pent up BS IV diesel stock cleared.

With regard to the discussion of petrol vs diesel, I too have leaned towards diesels because of their low daily running costs. My monthly running is anywhere between 600-700 kms and in true sense I don't even need a car, a taxi will do. But purely for the joy of driving and personal space we bought the car. I need to fill up my car only once a month and that costs me anywhere around 3.5k to 4.5k for fuel. When I see my colleagues spend only two thirds of the same amount for the same period or the same amount but covers twice the distance I do, I also feel the urge to get a small diesel or a small feeling that I should have bought a diesel car. When my purchase was finalised the price difference between the comparable petrol and diesel models were about 2 Lakhs and on road it would have been near 2.5 lakhs on road. As per my running requirements it would take over 17 years just to recover that cost. I could use the same amount for fuel and maintenance of my car for the next 5 years so I chose petrol.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 7th July 2020 at 07:36. Reason: added content.
Old 7th July 2020, 07:53   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine doing a 4000 kms trip on a petrol car vs a diesel car and the numbers are enough to justify the long term cost.
How can you justify ?

At max you can save 8K rupees in each trip which is just a fraction of all other expenses in a 4K trip (Only if you compare Hyundai Petrol VS Diesels), you can easily get decent fuel economy from other brands like MS, Toyota and Honda. Even my Ciaz with 1.5 NA Petrol returned around 17KMPL in a recent 400KM Drive with an aggressive driving style. Could have easily attained 19, had I driven properly. And the Diesel counterpart offers almost 22-23 KMPL, if driven properly. So if we calculate the difference in running cost, it works out around 0.5-0.7 ₹/KM and ~₹2000-2800 for a 4K KM Trip.

IMO the cost per KM justification hold no waters in current scenario. One should get diesel if he enjoys driving it or have really high running.
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 08:24   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
How can you justify ?

At max you can save 8K rupees in each trip which is just a fraction of all other expenses in a 4K trip (Only if you compare Hyundai Petrol VS Diesels), you can easily get decent fuel economy from other brands like MS, Toyota and Honda. Even my Ciaz with 1.5 NA Petrol returned around 17KMPL in a recent 400KM Drive with an aggressive driving style. Could have easily attained 19, had I driven properly. And the Diesel counterpart offers almost 22-23 KMPL, if driven properly. So if we calculate the difference in running cost, it works out around 0.5-0.7 ₹/KM and ~₹2000-2800 for a 4K KM Trip.

IMO the cost per KM justification hold no waters in current scenario. One should get diesel if he enjoys driving it or have really high running.
Here is an example based in current conditions.

Distance 4000 kms

Petrol Price 83.04
WRV Petrol Mileage 16 kmpl
Liters consumed 250
Cost 20,760

Diesel Price 76.69
WRV Diesel Mileage 23 kmpl
Liters Consumed 174
Cost 13360

Amount on fuel saved Rs. 7398

If you drive 1L Kilometers over next 5 to 10 years you will spend approximately

Rs. 333,435 on Diesel
Rs. 519,000 on Petrol

Saving: 185,565

Upfront cost of
WRV Petrol - 8.62L
WRV Diesel - 9.93L

Extra cost for Purchasing Diesel - 1.31L

So saving on fuel i.e. 1.85.L is higher than upfront cost of buying a Diesel WRV at 1.31.L by almost 50k INR.

The service cost of both cars will only be slightly different, perhaps the Diesel one would be more expensive by Rs.10000 overall.

So you still save 40K INR.

Last but not the least, these calculations can be made to suit any way one wishes. There are simply too many factors at play.

What is the difference of prices again increases and Diesel becomes cheaper, what if you compare two different classes of vehicles, what if you sell your car within 3 years etc.

So like I said in my last post to each his own.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
So you still save 40K INR.
No offence to you but this calculation is very vague. The on-road difference will easily cross 1.5 lakhs between petrol & diesel WR-V.

Otherwise who in their right mind would spend 1.5 lakh upfront to save 25k over the next 5-10 years?

I'm sure my bank would give more return in 5 years even if I deposit that amount in my savings account.

Instead of going through these numbers, I'd rather go with a diesel WR-V for its superior engine over the petrol one and be done with it.

Last edited by self_driven : 7th July 2020 at 09:39.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:56   #73
Senior - BHPian

Let me chip in -

I have done 70,500 kms on the Abarth in about 4 years.
Money spent approx. (assuming 13.5 km/l average FE @ Rs. 80) - Rs. ~4.18 lakh

Same for diesel would be (16 km/l, Rs. 68) - Rs. ~3.00 lakh

Now, these are very conservative estimates. However, there is no denying that diesels are much more efficient than petrols and makes total sense for those with higher running. That said, I have no regrets with my car choice.

Coming back to my case, if I had a diesel Punto, I'm sure I would have munched much more miles than what I did on my Abarth. Ofcourse, my car primarily does outstation trips only, but if I had a diesel, I would have ditched public transport inside the city and used the car all the time.
Old 11th July 2020, 22:25   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Most of my car's are used. So I have no EMI burden to talk about. So my only expenses are fuel and service. With 1000+ kms running inside city, the fuel billl is getting increased. I used to pay 4k for a whole month whereas now I pay 6k+. It doesn't make sense to me. So I started using my bike and even then, it still looks bad. With 400Rs I used to fill tank where as now, it would come about 3/4th. So it's just me!
Old 29th July 2020, 19:26   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti likely to introduce BS6 diesel in select models.

Quote:
could re-introduce BS6 diesel engines under the hood of its premium offerings like the Ciaz, S-Cross, Vitara Brezza, Ertiga and the XL6.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th July 2020 at 19:33.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed