Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 23:33   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021

Maruti is doing everything to get peoples attention towards petrol cars. This is one such sponsored advert on CarToq site. Firstly they used the savings calculators and now sponsored ads. I think Maruti is feeling the heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021-screenshot_20200805232505.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:08   #77
BHPian

Re: Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021

So according to Maruti's latest hate campaign against diesel buyers, people who prefer Diesels are " outdated"

Hmmm, I've lost the respect I had for Maruti

Link
Sk8r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for cross posting. Sharing my post from the thread on Maruti's Ad about 'educating' car buyers on the economics of not buying a diesel car.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4891885 (Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km)

Mods may please delete if found violating forum rules.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 22nd September 2020 at 11:20.
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:18   #79
Senior - BHPian

India runs on Diesel. Maruti should have known better than to abandon the fuel. That gap should have been filled by their Electric range, by now. I have stopped looking at Maruti completely now (Strangely, like they don't exist). This strategy did not pay off, certainly.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 20:50   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Ertiga in diesel guise spotted testing again!
Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021-d1.jpg
Quote:
Seems that the brand is testing the 2020 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga BS6 diesel model which is expected to be launched in the commercial market first with the Tour M version.

Quote:
the same vehicle was being tested on city roads first, followed by a highway stint later on. During the start of the video, you can clearly hear the diesel clatter. Likewise, can see faint signs of the DDiS badge on either side of the front part of the Ertiga

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 07:42   #81
BHPian

Finally veil pierced and real face of Maruti revealed.

They must have felt pinch after seeing humongous sell of Kia diesel cars
IP_Man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 13:28   #82
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki set to re enter diesel segment next year.

Maruti Suzuki has initiated the process to upgrade its Manesar based powertrain plant so that it can start rolling out BS6 diesel engines starting middle or festive season next year.

Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021-smartselect_20201213132645_chrome.jpg

The company plans to utilise the BS6 compliant diesel powertrain in the Ertiga and Vitara Brezza to start with in the domestic market.

Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021-smartselect_20201213132709_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th December 2020 at 13:39.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 13:35   #83
Senior - BHPian

By the way, what happened to their calculations which mathematically proved owning diesel cars is not profitable to owners in long run as compared to their petrol cars?

I think it was a cheap gimmick played by Maruti to increase their petrol car sales.

In the game of achieving short term gain of sales numbers, they forgot that they would lose long term credibility.

Last edited by gkveda : 13th December 2020 at 13:38.
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 21:07   #84
BHPian

Suzuki is not working on any Diesel tech as far as I know, at least in Japan.There is a huge focus at Suzuki Japan for next gen gasoline engines and EV powertrain development, with hybrid tech coming from Toyota probably. So, Whatever is happening in Diesels must be a local development at Suzuki India. If that is the case, then this is definitely not a long term application development. This must be a quick fix for the short term and I would not read too much into it. As per my understanding of Suzuki working, Suzuki Japan calls the shots and if they are not working on Diesel at Japan as I believe, then there is no future for the technology in Suzuki future Roadmap. This is especially true considering their partners Toyota think the same way.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 02:21   #85
RSR
Senior - BHPian

It's the Vitara Brezza and Ertiga/XL6 that need the 1.5 diesel the most, followed by S-Cross and Ciaz. All these (except XL6) earlier got the 1.25 Multijet in 90 PS guise. I don't know if Maruti Suzuki will plonk their 1.5 diesel into the Baleno, DZire, Swift etc. as these cars only got the 75 PS version of the 1.25 Multijet earlier.

Converting their 1.5 diesel into a BS6 compliant engine is no big deal, and I don't even think they need to implement DPF + SCR on it. Any modern 1.5 diesel can be made to meet the BS6 norms with just DPF + LNT.

If Maruti Suzuki find it difficult to do it themselves, they can always hire the services of an external company who would gladly do it for them for a fee.

Vitara Brezza used to sell in huge numbers when it was a diesel-only car. Now, its sales have come down noticeably after it was transformed into a petrol-only model. This is not because the 105 PS 1.5 litre K15 is a bad engine (it's quite a good one, despite being naturally aspirated), but it's because the Vitara Brezza loses the sub-4m "small car" tax benefits with this K15 engine, as it displaces > 1200cc.

A 1.5 litre diesel Vitara Brezza will get classified as a sub-4m "small car" for taxation purposes. Couple this with the fact that Maruti Suzuki don't have to pay royalties to Fiat for this engine, and they can price it competitively in the segment again.

The Ertiga desperately needs the 1.5 diesel because of fleet sales. They tried to make the fleet special Tour M variant appeal to taxi operators with a CNG/petrol dual-fuel version, but CNG is not available everywhere across the country. Only a diesel Tour M can regain the lost fleet sales for Ertiga.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 07:51   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
There is a huge focus at Suzuki Japan for next gen gasoline engines and EV powertrain development, with hybrid tech coming from Toyota probably.
Does it make sense to develop next gen gasoline engines since all the developed countries move to EVs soon. They may not be able to recover the RnD costs since the sales of IC engines will go down.
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 08:09   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Does it make sense to develop next gen gasoline engines since all the developed countries move to EVs soon. They may not be able to recover the RnD costs since the sales of IC engines will go down.
Sale of IC Engines is not going anywhere in India till 2030-5. Best case estimates put EV penetration at 30%. All technologies will co exist.
Old 14th December 2020, 08:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Sale of IC Engines is not going anywhere in India till 2030-5. Best case estimates put EV penetration at 30%. All technologies will co exist.
If ICE cars are going to be banned lets say by 2030, the auto companies I am sure will stop putting development money atleast a few years in advance if not right away especially for India.
Old 14th December 2020, 08:47   #89
Senior - BHPian

No secret that MSIL is going to come back to the diesel game. It was the small diesels that they they are going to ditch.

Swift diesel? Forget it.
Baleno diesel? Maybe.
Ertiga diesel? Hell yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Does it make sense to develop next gen gasoline engines since all the developed countries move to EVs soon.
I think we may see one last gen of gasoline engines developed. Most bans for engines around 2035-2040. I'm sure most companies have stopped development of small to medium diesels.

Most engines are used for ~10 years before a major update. The K series engines replaced the G series engines around 2010-ish. The K series engine has got minor updates for many years. We should expect to see a new generation of engines with the next Swift/Baleno/Ertiga replacement.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 14th December 2020 at 08:49.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 12:21   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If ICE cars are going to be banned lets say by 2030, the auto companies I am sure will stop putting development money atleast a few years in advance if not right away especially for India.
ICE bans are mainly a product of fertile imaginations in Europe and North America. Suzuki has a miniscule presence in those markets. So, an ICE ban, even if it materialises, will have less of an effect on them.

In any case, ICE bans would likely be illegal and would be contested in courts. What is more likely to happen is that CAFE and RDE targets would drive electrification and lead to eventual extinction of IC Engines except in some niche areas.

Whether we like it or not, the US market has always governed the future plans of most car makers. With Diesel is always being looked at as a grubby and dirty fuel in US and that coupled with VW misadventures has permanently destroyed that markets' appetite for diesels. So, Car makers would be loathe to put in new investment and research in to cleaner diesels for non-US markets only, especially with EU talking about ICE bans.

Most Viewed