Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:24   #1
BHPian

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km

Came across this AD on Facebook

So what will MS say when they launch BS6 diesel next year?

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-ms.png
TROOPER is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:00   #2
BANNED

Re: Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Wonder where was this wisdom when their DDiS powered cash cows were bringing them loads of money in the form of both sales and service

Yes it might not have been 2,60,000 kms to break even earlier but the number was still significant enough for people to think twice.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 18:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021

Quote:

Maruti is acting like a hypocrite. What will they say about their earlier Diesel only cars like Brezza and S-Cross? S-Cross was a slow seller but then Brezza was a cash cow, milking money and only money for about 5 lakh units! This advertisement gives a sense of abandonment by Maruti for its own diesel engines cars. That's really sad.
BoneCollector is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 22:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:

I did not expect this kind of lame reasoning by Maruti Suzuki. If you cannot produce diesel why just false claim and generalize that the BS6 diesel cars should be driven upto 2.6lac kilometers to get the benifits of the diesel over petrols.
Ecosport and Venue diesel hardly costs 50-60K more than its petrol counterparts.
Moreover 1.5 VVT is just flat compared to the 1.3 DDIS which atleast had a solid mid range punch.
When consumers pay extra to get the turbo petrols over the regular ones then why not pay extra and get the diesel and enjoy its sheer torque and fuel efficiency.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 2nd June 2020 at 22:34.
Sahilrai166 is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 23:18   #5
BHPian

Wont this ad come as a shocker and to some extent "betrayal" to the existing owners of all Maruti diesel models? Definitely Maruti could have put it in a much better way.

While diesel engines in BS6 guise will definitely call for high mileage to justify their purchase, I do not think it will be like 2.6L kms. Other manufacturers who have introduced the diesel engine options in BS6 like Tata, Hyundai would have definitely put thought into that before they went ahead with the launch.

And yes, if and when Maruti does come up with a BS6 diesel engine for its cars, this ad will definitely be like shooting at its own feet. Other manufacturers might even pull some light hearted puns .Definitely not well played Maruti.
vshankarhere is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:01   #6
BHPian

Samsung mocked Apple for its decision to remove the headphone jack from iPhones. Few years down the line, samsung did the same from its phones. And the ads quietly disappeared. Maruti will also remove the ads quietly when they launch their diesels.
professor.march is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:54   #7
BHPian

Sorry guys if I sound very disappointed and angry ( ? )

Note : My dad owns a 2011 Swift ZDi, 90000 KMs run and he swears by it's reliability and I swear by it's looks !

Now, I think what Maruti is doing is completely wrong " ethically " and shows how much they are willing to dirty their hands just to hide their inability to gauge the market condition and unwillingness to invest in technology

They had all these years ( circa 10 Years since they started plonking Fiat's Heart ) to develop an engine in house to suit their product line up and business needs

If you are telling me that an OEM which planned to sell 2 million vehicles by 2020, planned to sell all those just by borrowing someone's heart, then that's pure failure in their planning and strategy

And by doing " False " advertising like this, what were they thinking ? They can do daylight robbery ?

They have completely taken Indians for granted and I can only think of Nokia when I think of Maruti

@legal experts here, isn't what they are doing legally correct ?
Sk8r is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Terrible. Too curt an AD for my liking.

How did they come up with this figure of 260000? What were the prices of the cars compared? What was the cost of fuel assumed? Did they consider the extra interest and depreciation costs? Did they consider the possible extra servicing costs? Probably they did go deep into the details, so why not mention those exact computations? Did they inflate the potential price of their car that they "would have" charged if they had a diesel today, hence making the saving look more than it would be?

I guess they didn't find it necessary to go into minor details like this.

BTW, I could not find this on their Facebook page, nor could I find it on Google. The above pic doesn't even have a date. Is there a calculator that their AD points to?

Last edited by PearlJam : 3rd June 2020 at 09:43.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:47   #9
BHPian

I just hope other manufacturers jump on this opportunity and start shouting from the rooftops why their diesels don't need to be run so much to recover the initial investment.

Seriously this is very disappointing from MSIL. Once a favorite company (dad's first car was a Maruti 800 which he still has), now feels like a disillusioned entity spreading false propaganda trying to influence people just because they are not good enough.
arijitkanrar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
BTW, I could not find this on their Facebook page, nor could I find it on Google. The above pic doesn't even have a date. Is there a calculator that their AD points to?
Here's the Link for the cost calculator.

Sponsored ads won't show dates.

You can visit Facebook Ad library and type in Maruti Suzuki.

Here's what would show up:

Name:  MS1 2.png
Views: 16974
Size:  251.8 KB

MS's ads would be when they go electric. Want to see how they disown petrol then.

Last edited by TROOPER : 3rd June 2020 at 10:05.
TROOPER is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Came across this AD on Facebook.
This was expected from MSIL to be honest. This isn't the first time at all. Remember there "Taxi Kyon Liya??" ad campaign that damaged the sales of Indica remarkably and pushed up the far lesser capable Alto? A few years down the line, majority of taxis on the road are MSIL. Maruti has regularly been the front row hypocrite in our auto industry.

I'm just thinking out loud - Numerically speaking - I don't think they are giving any false data points. They as usual are making "smart" ads without getting into trouble. Even today, a huge amount of cars on our "roads" are purchased to have a car in the parking & to impress peers, relatives & neighbours. A large proportion gets nervous when time comes to actually take the car out for a drive due to various reasons related with driving in cities etc. Those that are used, are used too little and indeed petrol is sufficient for that purpose.

Diesel is for either those who really run the wheels off the car. Or - want a diesel for its specific driving characteristics & low rpm running behaviour. Those like me who aren't bothered about KMPL but about the experience of driving a diesel in itself. And when that is a reason - one won't mind paying the premium for BSVI. Its worth it considering the performance of a good diesel engine + our contribution to ensure a cleaner planet.
Quote:
This indeed - is a million dollar question .
Reinhard is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Here's the Link for the cost calculator.
Thanks! As expected, it is a simplistic calculator. They haven't considered depreciation costs, resale value, servicing costs, opportunity costs of the extra funds deployed (without/after loan tenure ends), etc. But it's a start for people wanting a basic comparison.

It's just that 260000 or 18 years sounds like a sensational breaking news headline, and frankly, doesn't suit their image, since they're taking the most cornercase to make their point. Sorry, but no respect.

Last edited by PearlJam : 3rd June 2020 at 10:32.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Thanks! As expected, it is a simplistic calculator. They haven't considered depreciation costs, servicing costs, opportunity costs of the extra funds deployed (without/after loan tenure ends), etc. But it's a start for people wanting a basic comparison.

It's just that 260000 or 18 years sounds like a sensational breaking news headline, and frankly, doesn't suit their image, since they're taking the most cornercase to make their point. Sorry, but no respect.
Its pretty rigged IMO. They have mentioned price difference between petrol and diesel vehicles by 120000 irrespective of car and variant. While that is the max difference in Hyundai cars, Ford is offering BS6 cars with half that price difference. Coming to the maintenance cost, they have added a 33% premium to the per km cost of diesel car maintenance. Hence, instead of using average figures, they used extreme figures just to bring up a stupid marketing campaign like this. Are diesel cars today 33% costlier to maintain really? And regarding FE, I feel its easier to extract ideal world FE in diesels compared to petrols. The ARAI figures are again just indicative.

Barring all these, I think the difference in resale value will complete send this calculation home. That 1.2L premium given for a diesel engine will at least fetch 60k higher resale when selling some five years down the line. Curious to see the sales figures in the coming months.

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd June 2020 at 10:29.
audioholic is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
I just hope other manufacturers jump on this opportunity and start shouting from the rooftops why their diesels don't need to be run so much to recover the initial investment.

Seriously this is very disappointing from MSIL. Once a favorite company (dad's first car was a Maruti 800 which he still has), now feels like a disillusioned entity spreading false propaganda trying to influence people just because they are not good enough.
I agree with arijit. I wish Hyundai and Kia should come up with interesting ad-war for this Maruti's ad to materialize their selling.

Maruti has started taking Indians for granted and their over-confidence of "Whatever they make, will be able to sell" is something not good for their business. We all have seen top ranking companies going to bottom lines like Nokia, Kodak, etc.

With COVID, all the sales figures has been "zeroed" in the month of Apr'20. Setting all the companies to start once again from the "Start Point". Hyundai+Kia duo has a great opportunity to jump up this time and I wish they declare them with highest market share in the country this time. (though it is difficult for Hyundai to capture small hatchback market, which is mass volume for Maruti)

I know the potential of Korean giants and how they operate aggressively, I am sure Hyundai+Kia must be eyeing for that position.
fearless_IN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:06   #15
BHPian

From being vehemently against diesels in the 90s to introducing the TUD5 in the Zen D to elevating the 1.3 DDiS to God like status and now speaking against diesels in 2020, ladies and gentleman, please congratulate Maruti Suzuki on having a come a full circle.
sai_ace is online now   (22) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks