Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is your pick from the following?
Naturally Aspirated Petrol Engine 306 50.00%
Turbo Charged Petrol Engine 276 45.10%
Other(Please specify) 30 4.90%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2019, 06:39   #76
BHPian

Re: Naturally-aspirated vs turbo-charged petrol engine! What's your pick?

1.4 GDI in Kia was a pleasant surprise. Took it as a compromise as GT TSI could not accommodate me and my family comfortably. It is 90% what GT TSI is. Turbo lag is there and there is some prominent lag, most noticeable in the 3rd and 4th gear when you caress the pedal (something that a good tuner can fix). Many 'enthusiasts' would disagree as the car has been a hit in the mainstream non-enthusiast market. I find it more enjoyable than a 1.5 VTEC CVT / MT and miles better than the 1.5 IVT in the Seltos.

I will choose turbo petrol any day considering the current Indian petrol NA options.
Old 18th December 2019, 07:34   #77
BHPian

After lagging in the initial phase of polling, Turbo petrol has picked up and reached a commendable 43% of vote share
Old 18th December 2019, 09:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

For what I prefer a decent low end and a punchy mid range. In Indian driving conditions both within and outside of the city limits, top end performance is never required (something like that should be reserved for the track tests). Even on the access controlled National Expressways, Top end may not be of concern to me.

I would look at a 1.2 TSI, or larger NA engines beyond 1.8 - 2 Litre. Even the smaller 1.2 TSI motor performs brilliantly until 120 kmph.

Should I say undecided or others? well no, I have still clicked on Turbo Petrol, because in true sense, if the manufacturers don't reduce the number of cylinders, Turbo Petrol motors are lovely. The Seltos 1.4 Turbo, the Abarth 1.4 Turbo are lovely motors to be with.

What kills the Turbo Petrol performance is the greed of manufacturers - Maruti 1 Litre, EcoBoost 1 Litre Turbo miss out on the caliber of what a Turbo can do !
i74js is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 09:46   #79
BHPian

I voted for NA petrol. Turbo engines suffer from lag even if minuscule. Added to it, as soon as turbo starts spooling, kiss your FE goodbye.
Turbo is good for topend as mentioned previously, which may not be required in Indian scenario. Especially considering the fact that NA performs brilliantly till 100-120kmph.

Choices would be different with diesel engine though. I am sure majority will pick a diesel turbo over, say a DI engine. Benefits including low emissions coupled with better performance at low as well as middle band of RPM.
Old 18th December 2019, 15:45   #80
BHPian

I Voted for NA, especially in the Indian context ofcourse with a rider of both being comparable powered output engines just on the all round drivability and living with it day-to-day.

Interesting comparo on a go-karting track of the popular T-Petrols.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 15:54   #81
BHPian

Voted for turbocharged. Because I prefer turbocharged motor in general cars for everyday use, especially diesels.

But at a point to own a sports car someday I would definitely rethink depending on the engine options.
Old 18th December 2019, 22:35   #82
BHPian

I think it depends on the engine capacity and driveability in general. For a 3 cylinder petrol motor turbo is a must or else the car will definitely feel strained and underpowered. Polo 1.2 NA petrol in an example. But for a 1.5 petrol, turbo is not really a necessity considering our city and occasional highway commute. Of course 1.8TSI and 1.2 TSI is a different ball game. But if one wants to enjoy the sheer joy of driving a petrol, NA is the way to go. For diesel engines I think turbo makes a lot of sense.
Old 19th December 2019, 11:24   #83
BHPian

Voted for turbo charged.

My driving roads are 50% city & 50% Highways.

Having driven 1L NA(Wagon R), 1L TC (Ecoboost), 1.4L NA(Linea), 1.4L TC(Seltos GTX) and 1.6L NA(Verna) on these roads, I will always prefer a naturally aspirated petrol within city limits as low end torque is better than the forced induction ones.

However, on the highways, I will always prefer a turbo charged one. I can live with the initial turbo lag, but when the turbo spools up, the car feels like having a different, livelier character. Overtaking is just a breeze. And the turbo kick is addictive.

My opinion is based upon the individual characteristics of the abovementioned engines as in isolation, the K10 engine was tuned for efficiency, hence not a highway runner, the Ecoboost has more lag below 1500rpm compared to the Seltos(the best among the ones mentioned), hence had to work more in city conditions but good on highways. The 1.4 NA in the Linea is bogged down by the car's weight (Teambhp review of the Abarth Punto got me drooling over its 1.4TC which led me to have many daydreams) and the 1.6 in the Verna felt neutral in both City and highways.

My vote is based on the fact that I like driving on the highways more than in city and I get a kick out of the turbo charged engines while doing so. Did I forgot to mention the addictive nature of the said kick?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th December 2019 at 08:15. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 19th December 2019, 13:03   #84
BHPian

Voted turbo charged due to my experience with Laura 1.8 TSI.

Turbo does bring more power and efficiency in a smaller capacity engine, hence its benefits are obvious. However, when the manufacturers overdo it by putting very small capacity engines in relatively heavier cars and charge a premium for it, the advantage diminishes. Case in point, all the 1.0L turbo engines from every manufacturer in India.
Old 19th December 2019, 15:09   #85
BHPian

Voted for the Turbo Petrol. For typical city driving at around 50kph and highways at around 120kph max, a smallish Turbo petrol makes a lot of practical sense.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:24   #86
BHPian

Down sizing and turbo was brought in to improve fuel efficiency, weight and still maintain the power of bigger engine, but sadly they are neither fuel efficient nor powerful owing to our daily traffic and driving conditions.

I got to drive Ecosport 1.0 and was pathetic in low revs and while climbing ghats, however, the same model in Thailand put me in for a surprise. Vehicle felt so peppy and even the low end grunt was lot better with a linear pull.

The same was the case for 1st gen Verna in India which is sold as accent in UAE. Though both are NA engines, the vehicle i drove in UAE was lot free revving than the one in India. I am assuming Indian manufacturers are de-tuning the cars for some reasons.

When it comes to higher price tag vehicles like Laura BMW 330i are indeed very good to drive.

Considering the present Indian manufacturing standards on cars with less than 15 lac, I would prefer NA over turbo.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th December 2019 at 08:14. Reason: Spacing for improvement in readability
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:59   #87
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living2Drive View Post
Down sizing and turbo was brought in to improve fuel efficiency, weight and still maintain the power of bigger engine, but sadly they are neither fuel efficient nor powerful owing to our daily traffic and driving conditions.
And also for lesser emissions.

Wish there is an option for both, nevertheless voted for others. I did drive laggy 1.3 DDiS and absolute zero lag B58. If the price is not considered, I think there good turbos which are equally responsive as NAs. But still, I like NAs over a turbo any day.
Old 27th December 2019, 17:26   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by marutifan View Post
A turbocharged PFI engine would be most preferable, followed by NA PFI engine. I'll avoid GDI engines as far as possible with or without a turbocharger.

Hi,
Could you also give a reasoning?

Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 05:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
I had to vote for Turbo-petrols because there aren't any good NA petrol car (+drivetrain & chassis - basically the package) available in the market today (I'm not talking Mustang or exotics).
There's no two ways about the instantaneous response and diesel-like torque delivery of turbo petrols, they're just too addictive. And the easy power gains through simple remaps is just the cherry we need on top of our cake. However, not unlike core enthusiasts like us, my heart still yearn for a good NA, Alas! They don't make good NAs (with a proper drivetrain) anymore. If I have an additional parking spot, I wouldn't mind buying a Fiesta 1.6 or City ivtech Gen-1 fir the sheer thrill of the drive.
The Rapid 1.6 MPI can also be given a thought, which I also own. Though it is very different to the Fiesta, its NA engine is adequate for me, a first time car buyer. Have felt its handling and steering response also confidence-inspiring.
Old 28th December 2019, 07:15   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living2Drive View Post
Down sizing and turbo was brought in to improve fuel efficiency, weight and still maintain the power of bigger engine, but sadly they are neither fuel efficient nor powerful owing to our daily traffic and driving.
I think this is generally true, but there are two stand out exceptions under Rs. 10 lakhs - the Polo GT TSI and the Abarth Punto. Both of these turbocharged small motors are great combination of usable power in city conditions with practicality and cost. One can get a 4 year old GT TSI with the seven speed DSG around 5-6 lakhs which makes it incredible value for an enthusiast on a shoe string budget.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed