Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2019, 17:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Toyota Innova Crysta BS6 bookings open

Thanks to Meghashree S B for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Toyota dealers have started accepting bookings for the BS6 compliant Innova Crysta. However, BS6 vehicles will only be delivered by the end of January 2020.

Scoop! Toyota Innova Crysta BS6 bookings open-toyotainnovacrysta02.jpg

We are told that dealers are not sure about the exact price and engine specs of the BS6 cars. Prices are likely to go up in the new year. The overall output of the upgraded engines is also expected to change.

Depending on the availability of stock, dealerships are also offering BS4 vehicles.

At present, the Innova Crysta is available with BS4 compliant petrol and diesel engines. These include a 2.7-litre, 4-cylinder, petrol engine that makes 164 BHP and 245 Nm as well as a 2.4-litre diesel unit that puts out 148 BHP and 343 Nm and a 2.8-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that produces 172 BHP and 360 Nm. Transmission options include 5-speed manual and 6-speed automatic.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 17th December 2019 at 17:07.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 17:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Innova Crysta BS6 bookings open

I hope Toyota at least does not reduce the power output and upgrades the prehistoric head units on the present gen Innova and Fortuners to Android Auto and Apple Car compliant HUs alongwith a bench seater automatic diesel in VX trim. Would be interesting to see the service intervals in these BS6 units. I would not be surprised if the price revision of the BS6 units hit 1.5 to 2 lakh rupees upward of the corresponding BS4 models.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 17:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It will be interesting to see if the Petrol version starts outselling the diesel version in the post BS6 apocalyptic automotive world! Even I wouldn't mind getting a petrol powered MPV since its maintenance and longevity would be mouth watering even though its fuel bills would be eye watering. Perfect thing to do would be to get a beater car for frequent use and keep a petrol Innova for the family's long trips. Such a car could last 2 decades in the family easily.
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 17:26   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
I would not be surprised if the price revision of the BS6 units hit 1.5 to 2 lakh rupees upward of the corresponding BS4 models.
Impossible. That's way too high. Big diesel engines like the Innova's will need SCR / DEF type emissions control (more information) and I don't expect the factory cost to be over Rs. 35,000 tops.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 18:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Impossible. That's way too high. Big diesel engines like the Innova's will need SCR / DEF type emissions control (more information) and I don't expect the factory cost to be over Rs. 35,000 tops.
In that case sir I would remain even more obliged to Toyota if they offer a DEF kind of solution to BS4 owners like us as an upgrade.

I would have loved to see a properly tuned BS6 engine than a catalyst induced BS6 compliant engine. In any case as long as it's reliable and cost effective it should be good.

Last edited by haisaikat : 17th December 2019 at 18:17.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 16:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I had speculated similar costs of about 30-40K to convert to BS6, however I was quoted saying SCR+DPF+ECU remap and other modifications would cost upward of 1.5-2L for larger diesel. I am no expert and have no data to prove this wrong. Various news article also point out price hike 1.5-2L hike for big diesels.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...lakhs-265.html (The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs)
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 00:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
In that case sir I would remain even more obliged to Toyota if they offer a DEF kind of solution to BS4 owners like us as an upgrade.

I would have loved to see a properly tuned BS6 engine than a catalyst induced BS6 compliant engine. In any case as long as it's reliable and cost effective it should be good.
An upgrade to existing vehicles is next to impossible. The Innova and Fortuner diesels were never meant to be sold in markets with Euro6 or equally strict emissions. They are being sold in Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and other countries which are not so stringent in emission norms.

With India enforcing BS6, Toyota literally has to go back to drawing board for the car to hold a Urea tank, Urea injection, DPF, SCR and other components.

Knowing Toyota it will probably the most reliable BS6 and the most comprehensively executed update. There's no chance they will be able to retrofit that into current BS4 cars aftermarket.

Secondly large output engines like the 2.4L and 2.8L need a SCR+DPF with Urea catalyst the other system without the catalyst cannot cope up with the additional volume.

That is why Kia downgraded the Hyundai engine to 1.5L and reduced the power output to 115BHP so they could employ a DPF+LNT(Lean NOx trap) over the SCR. Hence the Seltos 1.5D doesn't need Urea injection but it does need recharging by fuel pulsing.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th December 2019 at 00:27.
Vid6639 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 09:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

The 2.8L diesel is already on sale in europe in the Landcruiser Prado in Europe with the stringent emission norms. The UK website of Toyota has this engine listed there. So the 2.8L diesel already has the emission norms in place and the new LC Prado is based on the fortuner.

In short, there should be no reason to go to the drawing board for the 2.8L engine.
Infact Hilux is offered there with the 2.4L diesel. So frankly they just need to implement the same systems here in India.

No need for going to the drawing board for anything then.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 27th December 2019 at 09:38.
navpreet318 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 09:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The 2.8L deisel is already on sale in europe in the Landcruiser Prado in Europe with the stringent emission norms. The UK website of Toyota has this engine listed there. So the 2.8L deisel already has the emission norms in place and the new LC Prado is based on the fortuner.

In short, there should be no reason to go to the drawing board for the 2.8L engine.
Infact Hilux is offered there with the 2.4L deisel. So frankly they just need to implement the same systems here in India.

No need for going to the drawing board for anything then.
I did not know the 1GD-FTV was sold in Europe in the Prado. I was told that both Fortuner and Innova need significant upgrades to accommodate the BS6 hardware.
Old 27th December 2019, 09:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I did not know the 1GD-FTV was sold in Europe in the Prado. I was told that both Fortuner and Innova need significant upgrades to accommodate the BS6 hardware.
A lot of people say a lot of things. Even company people. I have stopped believing even the highest level company people. They're just people. They either lie with confidence or just are ignorant and blab with confidence.

And we are used to believing that.

I was worried if the fortuner would be stopped after BS6 so I just opened the UK website and lo and behold, both the engines are listed there on similar chassis.

I have started doing something. I listen to everyone and do my own research and keeping doing whatever I was doing in my own way.
Now could you please find out what they are doing for their UK engines if you have a contact there. Then we would be able to guess the price increase with some sense.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 27th December 2019 at 09:46.
navpreet318 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 09:53   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have started doing something. I listen to everyone and do my own research and keeping doing whatever I was doing in my own way.
Now could you please find out what they are doing for their UK engines if you have a contact there. Then we would be able to guess the price increase with some sense.
Haha. True that. This was the rare occasion I did not do my background checks and luckily you caught it. No contacts in Toyota UK sadly.

Actually there was a lot of speculation on whether older BS4 engines would run on BS6 fuel especially diesel and I figured out that if older cars in UK were running fine on BS6 there would not be much problem for the engines in Euro cars.

For example BMW/Skoda have the same 2.0TDI engines in UK meeting BS6 but India is BS4. The changes are done to post combustion side and not much to engine itself. Part of the reason I took the plunge and got a Kodiaq.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 10:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

This might be helpful.

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/what-is-ad...y-do-we-use-it

UK went with Euro 6 at the end of 2015
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...y-mean-for-you

I got a chance to speak to someone senior at Toyota a couple of months before and as Navpreet mentioned, the guys either don’t know anything or are simply afraid of speaking. Toyota will continue to sell their cheapest and oldest products until legislative rules let them so or the newer generation products are cheaper over previous. They launched Prado here with 3 ltr despite having 2,8 ltr engine elsewhere, I guess that engine in Prado was always with Euro 6 or similar and Toyota didn’t wanted to give us anything with Adblue until Government makes mandatory. They might have reservations due to quality of Diesel as well though.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th December 2019 at 10:30.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 11:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Euro 6 Complaint Fortuner & Prado is already available in Australia too.

https://www.toyota.com.au/fortuner/range

https://www.toyota.com.au/prado

Last edited by LionX : 27th December 2019 at 11:13.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 11:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Euro 6 Complaint Fortuner & Prado is already available in Australia too.

https://www.toyota.com.au/fortuner/range

https://www.toyota.com.au/prado
Australia has Euro 5 emission norms as of right now. UK has Euro 6 for Diesel Vehicles.
Hence the emissions solution which Toyota has for UK would be the one likely for India as well. As of right now I can see that they have been doing it with a DPF.

Is Ad-Blue used in UK Toyota Vehicles? Yes it seems via the link posted above by Turbanator. Seems this would be another liquid to top off like windscreen washer fluid etc.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 27th December 2019 at 11:43.
Old 27th December 2019, 11:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Australia has Euro 5 emission norms as of right now. UK has Euro 6 for Diesel Vehicles.
Hence the emissions solution which Toyota has for UK would be the one likely for India as well. As of right now I can see that they have been doing it with a DPF.

Is Ad-Blue used in UK Toyota Vehicles? Yes it seems via the link posted above by Turbanator. Seems this would be another liquid to top off like windscreen washer fluid etc.
So the UK versions of 2.4 and 2.8 mill make same power as Indian BS4 variants. So i believe its safe to assume that BS6 versions in India will not lose power! I am guessing Toyota would launch slew of updates including ICE,features, 6 speed manual for 2.4 along with BS6 updates and charge a premium.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks