Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2019, 11:55   #1
BANNED

Maruti Ertiga drives past 500,000 units milestone in 8 years

Maruti Ertiga drives past 500,000 units milestone in 8 years-ertiga.jpg

With this, Maruti Suzuki's market share in the MPV segment has increased to 50.3 per cent from 25.3 per cent.

Quote:
New Delhi: Maruti Suzuki has claimed today that its Ertiga MPV has cumulatively sold 5 lakh units in 8 years, becoming the country's bestselling model in the segment.

Currently, in its second generation that was introduced in 2018, the updated model has sold 1 lakh units in just 13 months, while the first-generation model sold 418,128 units in 7 years, claims the automaker.

With this, Maruti Suzuki's market share in the MPV segment has increased to 50.3 per cent from 25.3 per cent.

Commenting on this, Shashank Srivastava, Executive Director (Marketing & Sales), Maruti Suzuki India Limited, said, “Ertiga created a niche for itself as a 3-row comfortable MPV to become a runaway success. Its success helped us to strengthen market presence in the MPV segment."

He also said, "Ertiga is a market leader with 36 per cent market share amongst MPVs and its leadership continues with support from customers.”
Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 15:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Ertiga drives past 500,000 units milestone in 8 years

Well deserved.
The Ertiga is simply unbeatable in terms of value.
The last time I checked, the petrol variants still command a 2 month waiting period.

It does a lot of things quite well.
Refined engines, low cost of ownership, decent quality, ability to carry 7 persons in adequate comfort, all of this, at a very good price.
The value it brings to the table, is simply hard to ignore.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th December 2019 at 18:24. Reason: Fixed typos.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga drives past 500,000 units milestone in 8 years

Ertiga is Maruti at it's best in knowing the pulse of the Indian car buyer. Before the Ertiga we had to go for big and bulky MPVs and SUVs to fulfill our 7 seater requirements. These were also cumbersome to drive in traffic and less fuel efficient too.

What Ertiga did is provide reasonable comfort to 7 passengers in a relatively compact footprint. Other strong points going in its favor have always been choice of both petrol and diesel along with manual and automatic gearbox options. Maruti's aftersales service and bulletproof reliability only sweetened the deal.

Another important aspect is lack of real competition. Apart from the superflop Mobilio, I don't think any manufacturer came close to taking the Ertiga head on at it's own game. And even today we don't see a formidable competitor on the horizon. So Ertiga's rule is only going to get stronger and stronger.
ram87pune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 13:37   #4
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga drives past 500,000 units milestone in 8 years

The Ertiga's success is an excellent case of MSIL launching the right product at the right time. It was launched at a time when MPVs were large, heavy, body-on-frame, and less fuel efficient for an average buyer with occasional seven-seat requirements to consider them. I was blown away by the car-like comfort levels when I first travelled in one a few years ago.

As many have said, for the price it retails at, the Ertiga still has no worthy competition. Frugal engines with adequate performance, spacious interors in a compact footprint, exterior looks that are desirable enough for a private buyer, all are recipes to its success.

The second generation is a worthy successor to the original one. I just hope MSIL does not increase the exterior dimensions any more with subsequent generations/updates, because then it would lose of its main USPs.

What MSIL did with the Ertiga a few years ago, has been attempted again by Renault in a lower segment, with the Triber.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 15:45   #5
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga crosses 5.5 Lakh sales mark

Source - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/79260650.cms

MS Ertiga crosses the 5.5 Lakh milestone today. Launched in July 2012, the feat was achieved in 8 years 4 months, with average monthly sales ranging at about 6000-7000 units.

Available in all 3 fuel options - Petrol, Diesel and CNG, Ertiga is the most successful MPV on sale in India, offering upto70% of Innova at about 50% of it's price

MSIL did the complete facelift of the car in 2018, and plonked the SHVS enabled 1.5 L K series Petrol engine, shared with Ciaz, Brezza and S-Cross.

Enough has been said about this car on this forum, just wanted to bring this news up to everyone's attention

Wishin' every Ertiga owner a million happy miles!

Regards,
Jigar Shah

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th November 2020 at 06:50. Reason: enuf = enough. Please avoid sms lingo.
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga crosses 5.5 Lakh sales mark

Ertiga is a great success for Maruti. For last 1 year sales has been great and going forward they will do yearly 1 Lakh + for sure. New Ertiga does almost 90% of what Innova does at half price. It looks nice, its big, has great interiors & has sufficient power. Its major advantage for me is it is very car like to drive. You don't feel that you are driving a big car like you feel in other cars like Innova, Xylo etc. IMHO it is the most value for money car in India. At around 10-12 Lakhs (Vxi - Zxi+) on Road, you get highly reliable 7 seater with good engine and interiors. XL 6 also doing some good numbers which is also Ertiga only.

Going forward I am looking for more powerful Ertiga, may be 130-140 BHP and top end getting more feature with Leather interiors. It will definitely add more value and attract few more customers. All the best Maruti.
Old 17th November 2020, 17:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Available in all 3 fuel options - Petrol, Diesel and CNG, Ertiga is the most successful MPV on sale in India, offering upto70% of Innova at about 50% of it's price

Enuf has been said about this car on this forum, just wanted to bring this news up to everyone's attention
Not surprising and happy to read this

When launched I felt it is some half-hearted attempt by Maruti to add some incremental sales. Simply because I felt that the car deserved a better Diesel engine at that time. After all it was the same engine as was available in Swift and Ritz. I felt the car with a seating capacity of 5+2 folks deserves a better engine.

However, my opinion changed after sitting in one. It provided good utility to the taxi operators and the diesel engine (as we all know) was a workhorse. The front seats where very comfortable and good for some as tall as myself. The diesel was noisy but it worked.

Families on a budget liked the petrol version for its smoothness and good NVH. CNG variant was again very good filler for those who did not want a diesel but needed a good FE in spacious car (except for the boot space).

The 2nd gen variant is longer in length and hence has better boot space. And for those who wanted to stick to Maruti Ertiga and yet have some exclusivity - the XL6 does the job well.

All in all, Maruti has a good variant spread in Ertiga and it is a jack of many trades. Hence we see these good sales figures.

But I am disappointed with the competition. Except for Renault, none of the major car makers have tried to capture this segment. I wish to see some competition here

Last edited by sunilch : 17th November 2020 at 17:47.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

And why wouldn't it be. For an average Indian Family, the Ertiga has been a good, reliable and cheaper (as compared to Innova) people mover. Bhpian Paragsachania's thread is a testimony of how the Ertiga has been a reliable car to own.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maruti-Suzuki struck gold with the Ertiga. Apart from being a stupendous success story, this should have been a massive profit-driver by virtue of sharing the platform with the Swift and Dzire (in it's first generation). Imagine the scale these three models brought in for the car-maker over their life span!

The second-generation Ertiga (and it's upmarket sibling, the XL6) have taken the game further. It's now going to be very difficult for rivals to make inroads into the MPV segment. Ertiga is to Maruti-Suzuki like what Creta / Seltos is to Hyundai / Kia in the crossover segment.

All that said, what's with this new trend of celebrating odd sales milestones? Wouldn't it have been better if Maruti-Suzuki sent out a press note for crossing 500,000 units? What's the point in not doing that and suddenly sending one out for crossing 550,000 units? Odd times, we live in!
Old 18th November 2020, 09:42   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
All that said, what's with this new trend of celebrating odd sales milestones? Wouldn't it have been better if Maruti-Suzuki sent out a press note for crossing 500,000 units? What's the point in not doing that and suddenly sending one out for crossing 550,000 units? Odd times, we live in!
Thanks for this! Reminded me that we did indeed have an earlier thread on the 5-lakh sales milestone, so merged with that .

As to the question of why, new launches & developments are less in the Covid year, but all manufacturers have full-fledged PR & communications teams who are under pressure to constantly keep the brand in the news. Some of them even have targets (especially the PR agency to whom work is outsourced)! What better way to meet them than announce milestones every 50,000 sales!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed