Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 20:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Red and Green stickers on bumpers ? What do they mean?

I'm a confused lad. I don't have much clue on what is being discussed here, as I do not seem to remember seeing any green on the back of cars. Please, can anyone upload a snap of these green and red stickers.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:43   #32
BHPian

Red and green signify that the husband(who is driving) is a non-vegetarian and the wife, who is the co-passenger is a pure vegetarian..

Last edited by akash_m : 25th April 2012 at 10:44.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
Yeah I know it is a very old thread. I was searching for the meaning of green and red stickers and stumbled upon this thread. I sensed that there is no consensus on what these stickers stood for so I added my own speculation.
These are simple stickers with light reflecting abilities but sometimes they are simple colored stickers, without any reflectors. It has nothing to do with the driver giving any kind of indication via these stickers to the cars following him.

Actually on the rear bumpers, we see the stickers left and right. Red colored sticker is on the LHS which means that NO OVERTAKING from LEFT. Green sticker is on the RHS, which mean the CORRECT SIDE to overtake the vehicle. As told to me when I was stopped on a barrier to apply these.

These kind of stickers are nowhere mentioned (at least for private vehicles) in MV Act. This is a part of SCAM. You will notice 3-4 people at a barrier on highways, with police sitting in their vehicle / cabin. They stop your vehicle and immediately paste such stickers (without your consent) on your vehicle and ask for Rs 100 / Rs 200 or more than that. If anybody questions their validity, they will show him a paper (laminated) as a permission letter from the area SSP / SP / DSP regarding pasting these stickers on vehicles. If any influential person quries (in proper manner) the same from the police personnel, sitting at a distance then they will let you go without paying even a single penny. The commercial vehicles (truck / cabs) are the primary targets for such stickers.

In the past, I have been stopped for:

1. Registration Number engraving on car windscreen and all glasses of side windows
2. Black paint strip on headlights
3. Red and Green stickers on bumpers

Since I was not aware of such scam so I had paid on the first instance (after seeing the letter of area SSP). For the rest of the two, I told them to stay away as I am NOT going to pay even a single penny. I told him that when the car maker has already provided two reflectors, as a part of break lights, then why shall I go for these stupid stickers?

Police personnel in such cases, just stand with them as a mute spectators. They have a PARTNERSHIP in the revenue collected on the barrier. If you argue with them then they will let you go. I have seen so many barriers like this (SCAM) in the last 10-15 years. Poor people pay to save their time and drive off to save themselves from getting late or save fine (in case of incomplete papers).

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks