Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2007, 08:47   #16

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

like Rehaan mentioned,it corresponds to port and starboard of a ship.
Old 8th September 2007, 09:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
If they need for reflection...any color will do….they can put Yellow!!! Ever observed that the Green sticker is always on the right side while red is on the left.. it means we should always overtake from Right side and not from the left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
like Rehaan mentioned,it corresponds to port and starboard of a ship.
What Rohit has said is absolutely correct. They were stuck on because of a directive from the RTO sometime back especially for cabs in Bangalore. Dont know if it is still being enforced.

@hellspawn - what does port and starboard have to do with road vehicles?
Old 8th September 2007, 11:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Vehicles are driven like they are in the open sea here, left to right, right to left, on the footpaths, specifically the 2 wheelers...free flowing asper wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
@hellspawn - what does port and starboard have to do with road vehicles?
Old 8th September 2007, 15:50   #19
BHPian

It is a very good idea indeed. You can figure out which way the vehicle is coming, and what are the extents. In rest of the world, rules are observed, so you can know it otherwise. In mera bharat mahan, you need stickers.

In USA, the stretches of undivided highways in hilly terrain have requirement of "daytime headlights" with reminder signs and cops enforcing it.

Elephants REALLY need reflectors. A lot of the poor creatures got hit by vehicles and got terrible injuries/death.
Old 13th September 2007, 16:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

But I've seen red on the right side and green on the left....this means for that particular car I need to overtake from the left. hehehe
Old 13th September 2007, 18:16   #21
BHPian

Stands for You are thugged

I stay in Noida and if you drive to Jaipur.. there is a place in between Bawal where you are asked to "contribute" for road safety week and stickers placed on your car forcibly by musclemen.
The same happens sometimes for Mussorie/
If you persist long enough they sense the other business loss (other vehicles going away) and then let you go :-)
Old 14th September 2007, 10:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Why do you have to stop for these, unless road is barricaded.

I remember that earlier these thugs used to stand at police checkposts waving down vehicles so that they can do etching of your registration on the car windows.

I dont know how many times I had waved them in refusal and continued without stopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramit View Post
I stay in Noida and if you drive to Jaipur.. there is a place in between Bawal where you are asked to "contribute" for road safety week and stickers placed on your car forcibly by musclemen.
The same happens sometimes for Mussorie/
If you persist long enough they sense the other business loss (other vehicles going away) and then let you go :-)
Old 14th September 2007, 11:26   #23
BHPian

Is this a mandatory while driving on highways? I don't think there are any rules / law to put these reflectors. May be, manufactures should provide this is as a standard option. Personally, I feel cars loose some of the atheistic appeal with these stickers. Could there be any better idea rather than putting these cheap stickers?
Old 17th September 2007, 10:24   #24
BHPian

As far as I know there are no rules warranting their presence.
Old 24th April 2012, 13:23   #25
BHPian

Re: Red and Green stickers on bumpers ? What do they mean?

We may have seen sometimes vehicles flash the right indicator to convey that it is safe to overtake. Could these stickers be related to that? Green sticker on the right means that the vehicle behind should overtake if the right side indicator is flashed and red sticker means no overtaking if left indicator is flashed. Just my speculation.
Old 24th April 2012, 15:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
We may have seen sometimes vehicles flash the right indicator to convey that it is safe to overtake. Could these stickers be related to that? Green sticker on the right means that the vehicle behind should overtake if the right side indicator is flashed and red sticker means no overtaking if left indicator is flashed. Just my speculation.
Cant be mate! When I want to change to the right lane I use the indicator on the right. How can I indicate the vehicle behind me to overtake with the same signal?!
Old 24th April 2012, 15:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

very old thread revived !

For me to know if a vehicle is approaching, the normal light is the indicator. For someone going away, its the red light. You need stickers if the lights aren't functioning.

I have seen blinking red lights on the front and blinking white lights on the rear which are a nuisance.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Cant be mate! When I want to change to the right lane I use the indicator on the right. How can I indicate the vehicle behind me to overtake with the same signal?!
I totally agree with you buddy that it is outright confusing if someone uses indicator to convey their intention to overtake. Trust me you would be surprised to know that it is very much in practise in India as this team bhp thread would suggest:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...vertaking.html

I just happened to connect these two threads and therefore I said I am just speculating
Old 24th April 2012, 17:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
Man you really woke up very old thread

Agree with 2cents, but note that this is a growing practice on highways now a days, people give right indicator as a signal to allow vehicle behind to overtake, they start hazard lights when entering the tunnel, they start the hazard lights during the heavy rain. All these practices are wrong and should be avoided. But now they are beyond control.
Old 24th April 2012, 18:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Man you really woke up very old thread

Agree with 2cents, but note that this is a growing practice on highways now a days, people give right indicator as a signal to allow vehicle behind to overtake, they start hazard lights when entering the tunnel, they start the hazard lights during the heavy rain. All these practices are wrong and should be avoided. But now they are beyond control.

Yeah I know it is a very old thread. I was searching for the meaning of green and red stickers and stumbled upon this thread. I sensed that there is no consensus on what these stickers stood for so I added my own speculation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks