Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2019, 20:40   #1
BANNED

Renault to phase out diesel engines; Lodgy discontinued

Quote:
Mamillapalle said the company was also phasing out its Multi Purpose Vehicle Lodgy from its stable and did not plan any renovation on the vehicle or even a BS-VI variant. He said stocks of Lodgy cars had been sold out.

"It is not the question that we want to end it... We dont want to get into diesel, so Lodgy ends there. We are not going to renovate. All (future launches) will be gasoline, including (premium SUV) Captur", he said.
https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...lodgy/72957446
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 21:09   #2
BHPian

re: Renault India phases out Lodgy; existing stock already sold out

Honestly do folks at Renault think that Captur is a premium SUV?
Old 24th December 2019, 23:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault India phases out Lodgy; existing stock already sold out

The reality of stocks will be known from March, 2020.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 13:46   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Expected, it was selling in the double digits anyway. That's not enough to keep a line running.

IMHO, this was a product that didn't deserve to fail. Awesome ride quality, punchy diesel, sorted road manners, robust build, car-like to drive...it had many things going for it. Main downside I'd say was limited middle-row legroom. On a business trip, my brother had booked two Innovas and the operator sent 1 Lodgy instead. My brother was shocked and called me in panic! Told him that the Lodgy is good and to proceed without worry. End of the trip, he called & told me that he absolutely loved the ride of the Renault.

This is one of those failures that has everything to do with the brand + marketing + sales push, and nothing with the product.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 17:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Renault to phase out diesel engines. Lodgy Discontinued

According to a media report, Renault does not plan to upgrade its K9K diesel engine to comply with BS6 emission regulations. The car maker has also discontinued the Lodgy MPV.

Renault to phase out diesel engines; Lodgy discontinued-renaultlodgy04.jpg

With the phasing out of the diesel engine, the Lodgy has been taken off the shelves. The remaining stocks of the Lodgy have also been sold out. All future Renault models, including the Captur and Duster will be offered with petrol engines only.

The report suggests that Renault will focus on petrol powered vehicles post BS6. The company will introduce the Triber BS6 in 2020. It will also get an automatic transmission variant.

In addition to the Triber BS6, Renault also plans to launch a new sub-4 meter SUV in the Indian market. It is expected to be launched in the second half of next year.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 17:43   #6
BHPian

re: Renault to phase out diesel engines; Lodgy discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Renault does not plan to upgrade its K9K diesel engine to comply with BS6 emission regulations. The car maker has also discontinued the Lodgy
I hope the existing K9K diesel owners are not hung out to dry, hope the BS4 related spares/diesel filters will still be available for 10+ years.

Already it difficult sourcing spares for Nissan/Renault.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 21:13   #7
BHPian

re: Renault to phase out diesel engines; Lodgy discontinued

Wow, we might get a petrol AWD!
The diesel AWD has too many woe stories.
The Jimmy waiting folks will have something to consider.
jassi_jeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 21:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Main downside I'd say was limited middle-row legroom.

This is one of those failures that has everything to do with the brand + marketing + sales push, and nothing with the product.
The oddball looks didn't do it any favours, either! Two of my friends whom I had advised to check out the Lodgy were put off by its disproportionately small wheels and slab-sided profile, and went for the earlier-gen Ertiga, instead.
RoverX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 10:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Renault should know by now the fundamental reason for the failure of the Lodgy, the way it looks! I mean Renault thinks india will accept outdated designs, and this is the 2nd time that they made the mistake. The first one was with the Logan which clearly looked like it was from the early 90s. What sells in Eastern European countries should not be just brought here. If the Lodgy looked better, just like how the Ertiga or even the Triber looks, I mean MPV kind of body language is fine, but it has to have a car like stance and not the Van kind of design.
Else the Lodgy had the product fundamentals right, I do not think it was priced well at the start, which they should have done. You cannot price it high and then later offer discounts when the car is not selling.

All in all, Renault has lost its credibility here. They may have unique products such as the Kwid and Triber, but surely not long term. Suzuki took on the Kwid with the S Presso and not long before someone take a shot at the Triber.
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 05:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault to phase out diesel engines; Lodgy discontinued

Renault should have made a killing by pitching the Lodgy to taxi operators against the Marazzo and Innova, with the 110 BHP engine. Instead, they gave them the 85BHP version to begin with. No wonder it didn't sell!. And they are committing the same mistake with the Triber. That car has all the elements to be a winner, be it looks, space and utility. But it desperately needs a better engine. At least a 1.2 turbo petrol, if nothing else. People won't mind paying 8.5-10 lac for such a car if its equipped with a 90+ bhp engine producing some 140-150NM torque.
Old 31st December 2019, 07:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault to phase out diesel engines; Lodgy discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
And they are committing the same mistake with the Triber. That car has all the elements to be a winner, be it looks, space and utility. But it desperately needs a better engine. At least a 1.2 turbo petrol, if nothing else. People won't mind paying 8.5-10 lac for such a car if its equipped with a 90+ bhp engine producing some 140-150NM torque.
Turbo Triber well under development. Expect Mid 2020 launch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks