Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How difficult is it for you to adapt to the different cars you drive/switch each time.
Not an issue for me. 230 49.46%
I will be good in few km. 193 41.51%
Even if I adapt, sometimes I wrongly assume that I am driving the ‘other’ car. 31 6.67%
Very difficult. 11 2.37%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2019, 09:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Difficulty level in switching between multiple cars from the same garage

I have a Punto and a Wagon R at my home town. With the Punto I normally ride the turbo spool Torque hike to manage overtaking in the highways. With Wagon R this is not possible and a bigger challenge to overtake in single lanes as compared to the Punto.
That apart the different positioning of stalks irritates me as well.

Ofcourse other than the obvious difference that seating positions and space makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Attachment 1950550

Psst! This guy might have some trouble though.
Let me guess. You must be a Meme champion on social media

Last edited by vibbs : 30th December 2019 at 09:51.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 12:08   #17
BHPian

I have two AT vehicles and one MT. Since i normally use the AT more, it takes a couple of kms to adapt to MT. But once in, there is no issue. More common is the turn indicators stalk. In the AT cars, they are on the left, where as on the MT they are on the right- and i do goof up sometimes. Not often though.

I drove my mother's car recently when i visited her. An i10. Apart from being an MT and the usual indicator stalk issue, i found the power abysmally low. I was literally egging on the car, by trying to puss it with my body mass.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 12:23   #18
BHPian

Voted for A.

We own a Honda City and a Honda Civic. Both of them are Petrol ATs. Not a large difference in urban conditions. Yet to test the Civic on the highway.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 13:06   #19
BHPian

I follow a set procedure while getting into each car.
1. Fix OVRM and rear view mirror for my seating position.
2. Start the engine and let it idle for 30-40 seconds.
3. Use this idling time set up music playlist and fix water bottles, carry bags in proper position.
Clean my Sunglasses, windshield dust etc.

By this time, I have adequate familiarity of which vehicle I am in and hence I am better prepared for any surprises that may result.

My family has only 3 cars so these switches are not much of an issue.
I do feel for professional reviewers who have go through the ‘familiarisation kilometers’ while switching to ( relatively ) unknown cars.

Sometimes my mom gets irritated that I can’t just leave from any place quietly and in a jiffy.
Invariably I will first setup my playlist!

Regards
HsekarK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 13:15   #20
BHPian

Voted for "I will be good in few km."

Having voted for that, I must hasten to add few bungling instances I could recall -

1) I had just returned to the US and was driving early morning on a weekend. This must have been Louisville.

There was no traffic at all. I calmly entered and started driving wrong way on a one way lane! I saw a few cars parked "wrong way" to how I was driving. I thought people are weird before realizing I was!

Turned around before a cop could think of ticketing or sober/DUI-testing!

Luckily (for me) there were no cameras on that road to send me a ticket home!

2) Now I was in India visiting my parents. Was driving a right hand manual after a long time driving of left hand automatic!

Road was empty at their housing complex in Bangalore. Dad was sitting next to me. He said nothing. I took a turn and was driving on the right side of the road. A small truck, possibly municipal truck, started coming towards us. I kept myself towards the right thinking why the "idiot" wasn't moving out of the way. Slowly he did move out of the way!

Just after he did, my dad reminded me to keep left. Aha, I was the "idiot" there and not the other chap!

I realized - although I do need a few kms of driving to get back to that place and car (left hand vs right hand; auto vs manual), what does help me get back to the present is presence of that little bit of traffic. That aids better re-orientation.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 13:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

For me, it is the choice between automatic and manual. At times I have stalled my manual car for not using clutch

Takes only couple of mins though. I have this speed breaker right at my gate which reminds me to use clutch(or I stall the car)
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 13:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have a Polo GT TSI and Laura TSI. Both being from the same stable, there is not much familarisation required. However I do face the following irritants:
  • Change of acceleration between the Polo and the Laura
  • Change of brake intensity and stopping power
But as I mentioned, these are irritants and not exactly require familarisation kms.
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 09:24   #23
BHPian

I don't think it's a problem when you're the only person driving both cars.

Otherwise, every time you get in, the mirrors, seats and steering always seem to be a bit off. I will be immensely thankful to the manufacturer who brings memory seats to the lower segment!
Old 31st December 2019, 09:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

For me, with a little 1.2 liter i10 automatic and a Scorpio, the choice is simple. If I'm going into congested city areas, I'd be an idiot to drive a Scorpio there or hunt for parking.
Old 31st December 2019, 10:48   #25
BHPian

Voted for option 2!

I have a Ford Aspire diesel and a Tiago petrol, Aspire being the primary one. Whenever I take the Tiago out for a spin, I feel lack of power during overtaking manoeuvre. Maybe I was spoiled by driving the TDCi!

And then when I switch back to Aspire, I feel the steering wheel is of XXL size!!
Old 31st December 2019, 10:52   #26
BHPian

Have 3 different era cars in our garage.
Starting from our 1987 Carb Maruti 800 to the SX4 petrol to the Verna Diesel and latest entry is Grand i10 petrol AT.
I would call myself and even my dad "Switching Cars easily" as never had any issue in driving 3 different era cars even on same day !

The challenge, if at all I consider, is switching between MT and AT but just a thought while getting seated gets the brain tuned
Another challenge was the stalk indicator in our Polo but apart from few misses (especially during a stressful situation), it was smooth

Last edited by Cooltronics : 31st December 2019 at 10:53.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:11   #27
BHPian

Voted for B.

I would be cautious for a few kms to understand the dimensions, behavior (braking) and quirks of the car post which I become comfortable with the same.
Old 31st December 2019, 11:16   #28
BHPian

Voted for will be good in a few kms.

I guess most experienced drivers need to know their cars a bit , say 10-20 kms and they should be able to get a feel of the cars limitations and drive with in the boundaries.

Over the last 7 years i drove a ,
2012 Chevy beat diesel - 80 K kms, a 2002 Maruti Zen mpfi - 10 k kms, 2011 ford Figo petrol - 5k kms, my current ride the Nexon Diesel Automatic - 25k + kms, a Maruti Zen estillo - 700 kms, a Renault lodgy - 1000 kms, and a bunch of other cars in my friends circles.. i feel a little awkward for about 10 kms and then it becomes a familiar place with my brain working overtime to keep the limitations of the new car front and center.. never had a bad experience till date with any new car.
Old 31st December 2019, 11:17   #29
BHPian

Voted for "Not an issue for me".

Until a few months ago, I used to switch between Vento Petrol manual and WagonR Petrol automatic. There was never an issue in switching between manual and automatic. In the initial few months of this dual ownership, I would hit the wrong wiper/headlight stalk due to the differing arrangements in the two cars. But that occurrence became rarer and rarer as time passed by.

Now I drive, a Passat Diesel automatic and the WagonR. Once in a while, I do get frustrated with the lethargic and/or lack of instantaneous power in the WagonR. But never had I any issue with switching between a diesel and petrol car. The wrong wiper/headlight activation however does occur once every few weeks.
Old 31st December 2019, 11:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

I drive a Honda City and a Grand i10. Whenever I drive Grand i10, I find brakes to be excessively grabby and over sensitive as reported by many BHPians on the forum. (Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review)

So, it used to come to standstill even if I applied light brake to slow down. Now things have improved (not Grand i10 but myself ).

Earlier when I had Civic and Polo, as usual wiper/headlight stalk issues were there.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks