Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How difficult is it for you to adapt to the different cars you drive/switch each time.
Not an issue for me. 230 49.57%
I will be good in few km. 192 41.38%
Even if I adapt, sometimes I wrongly assume that I am driving the ‘other’ car. 31 6.68%
Very difficult. 11 2.37%
Voters: 464. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st December 2019, 11:42   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Difficulty level in switching between multiple cars from the same garage

Voted for option #3

I switch between my Polo GT TSI automatic and my FIL's Baleno petrol manual regularly.

Wiper and indicator stalks forever confound me - irrespective of change from my car to his or vice versa.

Fuel lid position catches me unawares at times - left to right. Also the manual fuel lid release lever as opposed to electric unlock

Strangely the actual driving of a manual comes naturally and I never found myself stalling the car during de-clutching. Being petrol hatchback cars, the driving experience were not worlds apart to get used to, once on the move

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 31st December 2019 at 11:44.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:52   #32

Default Re: Difficulty level in switching between multiple cars from the same garage

Between driving a 1st gen Swift(P) and a MK6 Jetta(1.4 TSI), there are a lot of differences right from the way the engines pull, the stalks and the vehicle dimensions. But a few kms with either and I would be right at home. Surprisingly I find it easier to drive the larger car than the smaller car for various reasons.
Old 31st December 2019, 11:59   #33
BHPian

Voted for option 1. I drive a petrol Figo manual and an EcoSport automatic. I felt like it was an issue only for the first few days and it soon felt completely normal. The only "issue", if it can be called that, is the reverse placement of the indicator and wiper stalks
Old 31st December 2019, 12:02   #34
BHPian

Voted for option 1. I use my Alto 800 for my office commute and the Tiguan for Sat-Sun drives in the city and outstation trips. Never faced any problem in switching except for the occasional indicator/viper issues.
Old 31st December 2019, 12:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

We have been with two vehicles for many years now. One has been a car, and one a MUV/SUV. Naturally used to it now, so it is not a problem for me to switch
Old 31st December 2019, 12:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Voted for option 2. Before I purchased my City this year, I had the Swift petrol and Brio. Both were similar engines and were similar to drive in terms of power and response. Once I sold the Swift and got my City, I needed a few kilometers of acclimatisation to get used to the way more powerful and torquey engine compared to the 1.2s.

Even today, when I switch from the City to the Brio, the difference in power and response takes a few minutes to get used to, even though both are from the same family of iVTEC engines. Spoilt silly by the silky smooth powerhouse that is the 1.5 iVTEC. What an engine - amen!
Old 31st December 2019, 12:54   #37
BHPian

My vote is for the first option. I switch between my turbo diesel with a manual transmission (Jeep Compass 2.0D) and my wifeys 'underpowered' petrol torque converter auto (Grand i10 AT) almost every day.

I've never felt a hiccup in adjusting to either of the cars even though both have the indicator and wiper stalks on the opposite sides. It's possible that my mind is adjusted to both the cars as I take both out daily.

It is when I try a new car that I've never driven earlier that I seem to take a few kms to get my head around how that car feels
Old 31st December 2019, 13:36   #38
BHPian

Voted option 1.

I switch between the Baleno 1.6 and the Rapid 1.6 TDI. Two engines with similar displacements but completely different behaviour. The Baleno is a beast. Down shifting and flooring the pedal makes it take off like a rocket. The Rapid also takes off like a rocket, eventually!
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 13:45   #39
BHPian

I usually switch between Jetta Diesel MT and Celerio AMT and sometimes Swift VXI MT.

Apart from the wiper/indicator switch confusions the one mistake I have done couple of times is when I am driving the Swift after driving Jetta , I have tried to engage 6th gear only to hear that heart wrenching "krrrr" sound.

I think its good to have sort of mechanism which will not allow the gear lever to move towards the reverse gear when the vehicle is in forward motion ..

Last edited by bipinbn : 31st December 2019 at 13:58.
Old 31st December 2019, 14:22   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I have to say I'm blessed. Learnt driving by just watching ST drivers when I was a kid. Can get into any car any time & drive it as if I have been driving it always. Have driven near hundred different cars from the Nano to high performance Volvos, BMWs and MBs. Autos, manuals, LHD, RHD, SUV, kei car, MPV...Never had to think twice before rolling away. It can't be anything but a lucky gift. So I'm blessed. That's all!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 15:14   #41
BHPian

I usually switch between Jazz and the V-cross and don't have any issues at all. I learnt how to drive on a Tata Sierra during that time the 2nd car was Maruti 800.

Always had a large SUV/MPV along with a small hatch so I guess I am used to it.

Though I do need a few kms when switching to an all new car which I have not driven before especially for brake pedal feel.
Old 31st December 2019, 16:20   #42
BHPian

We have a VW Polo MT, a Honda Jazz AT, a Mahindra Thar and a XUV 500 in the extended family. I have had no issues in switching between vehicles. I do however remind myself about the stalk layout when I first get in to the Polo and also about the lack of ABS when I'm driving the Thar.
Old 31st December 2019, 16:25   #43
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post

Difficulty in Switching between:
======
Note: There is another thread discussing similar topic but it deals only the Dimension factor: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ice-versa.html (Changeover of daily driver from a Big to Small car (and vice versa)?)
For me, the main difference is the Turn indicator stalk being on the opposite direction.
I use the C -class for my daily use and on weekends, I use Maruti Celerio AMT or occasionally Altis AT. Almost every time, I use the wrong stalk the first time after a switch, then I'm good. Once I was taking the Corolla manual out of parking area and I totally forgot about applying the clutch, rather applied the brakes like an AT, heard a loud "Krrrr" noise, Oops, luckily I didn't damage the gearbox

Last edited by sgm : 31st December 2019 at 16:36.
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 17:11   #44
Team-BHP Support

Voted for option 1, but only if, I am not driving something like the M-800 or the Van [Omni].

I keep switching between a Scorpio 4WD, a Swift, [rest are friend's ride/s] an Endeavor 3.2, a Tucson AWD, a Verna and others, don't really look forward to driving something like the Verna or a friend's Superb, but, that is primarily because of traffic sense and infrastructure. On wide open roads, the petrol Superb or the Verna are magnificent to drive.
Old 31st December 2019, 17:23   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

For close to 4-5 years, I kept alternating between the measly 84 bhp diesel Altis manual on one hand and the relatively super quick 320d on the other hand. Even though both cars had their own driving dynamics, I never found it difficult to shift between the two. Yes you do need to be aware which car you are driving and its capabilities and that should suffice.

Most Viewed