Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How difficult is it for you to adapt to the different cars you drive/switch each time.
Not an issue for me. 230 49.46%
I will be good in few km. 193 41.51%
Even if I adapt, sometimes I wrongly assume that I am driving the ‘other’ car. 31 6.67%
Very difficult. 11 2.37%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2019, 21:57   #1
BHPian

Difficulty level in switching between multiple cars from the same garage

There will be many of them who own multiple cars in their garage, or those who frequently drive other cars within the family/friends/colleague etc. How difficult is it for you to adapt to different cars you switch each time.

Even if people keep in mind that they are driving that particular car and calculates all those maneuvers to that car’s specifications, there would be times that you will be in a overtaking maneuver and you would be waiting for that turbo kick/power/acceleration only to realize that this is not your ‘that’ car and gets puzzled. How many times did you face this situation? Even if we somehow manage a way out from these situations, we will still fall to these situations again in the not so far future.

There could be many factors which makes the switching a difficult process. I will add some factors and request BHPians to kindly add to the list:

Difficulty in Switching between:
Petrol engine vs diesel engine
• Turbo vs NA
• Brakes: ABS vs non ABS
• Higher displacement engine vs lower displacement engine
• Good power band vs bad power band.
• Steering: Power steering vs non power steering.
• Beater car vs well maintained cars. Read this (Changeover of daily driver from a Big to Small car (and vice versa)?) .

For me I switch between a 2004 MS Baleno 1.6 and a 2018 MS Baleno 1.2.

Even both are petrol engine and both are NA engines, I find it difficult to adapt to the below:
• When I drive 2018 Baleno 1.2, sometimes during overtaking I will be waiting for that upright power which the 1.6 Baleno gives in the third gear, only to realize the reality and take a safe way out. This could turn to be very dangerous if not acted accordingly.
• When I drive the 2004 Baleno 1.6, sometimes I find it very difficult to adapt with the brakes as the 2018 Baleno comes with ABS and EBD. This is also a pretty panicking situation.

Kindly share your experiences as well.

Note: There is another thread discussing similar topic but it deals only the Dimension factor: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ice-versa.html (Changeover of daily driver from a Big to Small car (and vice versa)?)
Sophomore is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 22:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Difficulty level in switching between multiple cars from the same garage

Maybe I'll come back to this thread and choose a different option a couple of years later when I actually start driving (multiple cars).

But until then, my tentative choice would be 'b'. This coming from my experience of riding various cycles. I know cars aren't the same thing, but I guess one can sum it up as more of a psychological factor than anything else. And the lack of experience.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 22:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

The only issue which I face between my Terrano and XUV 5oo is indicator stalk on different sides.
BANDHAV is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 01:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Currently we own six cars in the Netherlands. Never a problem really. Anything from a Ford Fiesta 1.0L to a Jaguar supercharged 4.0L V8.

On top of that, I drive a different rental car abroad just about every month, depending on where my business / leisure travel will take me. Next week I will be in Barbados, visiting my wife’s family, so I will be bumming around the island in some right hand drive car, yet unknown to me.

I get into any car, adjust the seat, the mirrors, get the satnav going and will drive away. I will figure out the rest on the go so to speak. Left hand / right hand drive does not make a blind bit of difference. Done it all and I am still doing it all as well. Even driving right hand with a left hand drive regularly. (When we take one of our cars to the UK)

The biggest problem I once had was how to start a car. Can’t remember what car I was driving that day, but it was a rental from Hertz in the USA. I had pulled over for something, turned the engine off, took a call, or whatever. Could not get the engine restarted, no matter what I tried. I ended up calling Hertz who immediately knew what to do, (happens every day with this car Sir). I had to press the brake pedal, push/hold a switch, Gear in N or whatever. I think it was some hybrid contraption.

If I am in a new car, I do tend to adjust my driving habits a bit in order to familiarise myself So I might not start overtaking straight away.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 02:09   #5
BHPian

For a long time, I had one Korean and one European car. Yes, you guessed it - Headlight, Wiper stalks are reversed in these cars. Atleast once in a long-while I would operate the wrong stalk and my family would make fun on me.

Also, I think if you have one automatic and one manual transmission car, it would be more challenging to switch. But I have not experienced that.
manjunathkl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 06:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Both cars at home are automatics: Grand i10 and Honda City, now I yearn to drive a manual transmission after giving away my Elantra. I have to learn to modulate the brake pedal of the Grand i10 which is very grabby (non ABS).

Last edited by Durango Dude : 30th December 2019 at 06:50.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 07:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just drove a friends car lot on a 2000 mile trip in CA. He has a 2018 Mazda 3 hatch with a manual while I have a 2012 Ford Fusion SE.
Happy to say that I never faced a single issue in adjusting to the manual transmission(Driving them after 2+ years.) But 2 things sometimes got on my nerves:
1. Key-less entry and go. The whole process of starting a car was sometimes unnerving
2. E-parking brake- the feedback provided by the button was nothing compared to the experience of pulling a lever and hearing the ratcheting mechanism
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 07:26   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Somehow I have never had a problem switching across car types at all.
I just love cars - and like to believe that perhaps I have a deeper “affinity” to them.
I do remain always extremely alert and engaged while driving. Even on those long boring interminable stretches of freeway with nothing much except vast swathes of empty land on either side. (As in America)

So be it a switch either way between any of the following types and/ or some that I might have left out, it really doesn’t matter.

Manual to Automatic and back
Hatch to Sedan to Crossover to CSUV to SUV and back
Right Hand drive to Left Hand drive and back

The only things that I take a little time to always try and do, is the seat adjustments, the mirror adjustments for comfort, a general overview of the length/ height/ width/ GC and proportions of the vehicle so as to be able to judge distances and terrain, the cockpit layout and controls of the vehicle, so as to know whats where, the fuel tank opening and closing mechanisms and the tyre inflator and/ or jack and spanner locations.

I think these are important, because otherwise one will be fumbling.

What HAS happened to me in the recent past, especially with rental cars, is that the previous renter has sometimes switched the language over for his/ her convenience to something like Dutch or Polish or something and that is a pain to try and switch back to English because one simply isn’t familiar with the words.

Switching out of and over from French, Spanish and Italian and even German is not difficult as a language like Dutch, Czech, Polish or some other such relatively uncommon language (in my world), only because I have not been exposed to those languages much.

What I WOULD definitely be very careful with, in terms of switching vehicles, is in case, if ever, the situation does present itself and if (like TINTIN or JAMES BOND) I am also force-called upon to drive a Tank or a Locomotive or an LCV or a Motorbike or a Tractor with Trailer (though I learned on one), or similar. However, such a contingency, at my time of life, ain’t terribly likely...
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 08:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
Petrol engine vs diesel engine
• Turbo vs NA
• Brakes: ABS vs non ABS
• Higher displacement engine vs lower displacement engine
• Good power band vs bad power band.
• Steering: Power steering vs non power steering.
• Beater car vs well maintained cars. Read this (Changeover of daily driver from a Big to Small car (and vice versa)?) .
I don't have a problem at all in switching between these aspects you mention here. Each car is different and I try to go with the way the car behaves.

However: Each time I get into a car, I still take a minute to get my mind around which side the indicator and wiper stalks are...
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 08:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

In general it does not take more than a couple of km to adjust between cars. Especially cars that I drive atleast once in a while.

The only thing that causes an issue is the turn indicator/wiper stalk positioning. My car has the indicator on the left and pretty much all the other cars I drive have it on the right. That muscle memory causes an issue frequently.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 08:23   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As someone who takes all the Team-BHP review cars on the highway every weekend they are here, I am an expert in the "switching cars" concept. I have no issue at all, even if the range can be as varied as driving an S-Presso one weekend or an AMG on another. Of course, whenever switching cars, I recommend a couple of "familiarisation km" before redlining it.

Back to the thread topic, within the garage, it's easy as pie, even though the difference between the Jeep & 530d is stark (not to mention, the 60-year difference in their designs!!!). Am sure it's the same for most BHPians as we pay close attention to our cars and hence, get an in-depth understanding of their behaviour.

Both my cars though require a very, very different driving style and one must adapt. They are beasts of a different kind, the two.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 08:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
How difficult is it for you to adapt to different cars you switch each time.
I've voted for 2nd option. My main cars are a Wagon R and a Brezza. I also drive an XUV5OO automatic, a Honda City and an S-Cross occasionally. So my comparisons would be based on these.

• Petrol engine vs diesel engine - Not much of a difference these days.
• Turbo vs NA - The City is a hoot to drive but the turbo kick is a different thing altogether.
• Brakes: ABS vs non ABS - Most of the vehicles have these now but yes, a non-ABS doesn't inspire much confidence now.
• Higher displacement engine vs lower displacement engine - Yes, the engine of XUV feels less strained when compared to Brezza and same for City and Wagon R .
• Good power band vs bad power band - Overtaking is a challenge when shifting from a good power band vehicle to a poorer one, from Brezza to Wagon R. One needs to plan in advance.
• Steering: Power steering vs non power steering - The last car I drive without power steering was our M800. And now it's history.
• Beater car vs well maintained cars - Beater cars have their own issues, but somehow, they fare better at times.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 30th December 2019 at 08:58.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 09:07   #13
BHPian

Difficulty level in switching between multiple cars from the same garage-3kr0dg.jpg

Psst! This guy might have some trouble though.
Difficulty level in switching between multiple cars from the same garage-img_20191230_085946.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 09:34   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I really don't find that to be a problem(Diesel manual CSUV -> Petrol Manual Hatch -> Diesel AT Sedan -> Diesel AT MPV). I rarely switch cars (maybe once a week). The only issue I find is while parking the petrol car. The engine switches off at times (perfect time for my wife to pull my leg ). I do find the lack of power irritating at times, especially while planning an overtake.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 09:48   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I voted for second option.

Other than instant difference in seating position, gear stick placement I don't find much issue from the beginning. But minds adapts quickly in driving few kilometers. I can see scenarios where certain cars have wipers at left side vs right side. Those are the small mistakes that can happen in the mix up.

Last edited by ottocycle : 30th December 2019 at 09:50.
ottocycle is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks