Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How difficult is it for you to adapt to the different cars you drive/switch each time.
Not an issue for me. 230 49.46%
I will be good in few km. 193 41.51%
Even if I adapt, sometimes I wrongly assume that I am driving the ‘other’ car. 31 6.67%
Very difficult. 11 2.37%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2020, 09:36   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Difficulty level in switching between multiple cars from the same garage

I need at least 30 minutes to get used to from one car to another, even if it is my own car. The adjuatment of pedals and seats takes some time plus the visibility factor. Maruti cars generally do not have blind spots.
Old 1st January 2020, 10:50   #62
BHPian

Voted for #1.

Have a Honda City and a Nano Twist at home, absolutely no issues switching between these two. The difference is felt even as I sit down because of the variations in seating and steering wheel positions and I guess the instincts makes me adapted instantly. The size differences and steering responses of these two vehicles is automatically factored in, no issues, never rammed the bumper of the City into a wall when parking or floored the pedal when a <hatchback> swooshed past the Nano rather impolitely. The only thing I never got used to is the power window switches, in the Nano I still reach out for the window switches to realize that it ain't there.

It is kind of the opposite for my wife though, she takes her own sweet time to get used to the Honda and till date she has never put it in the 5th gear because she doesn't know how to put a car in 5th - the Nano has only 4 gears!
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 12:53   #63
BHPian

I find it difficult switching between Fiesta, Linea, Ciaz etc within house. I don't like it. I don't want to misjudge length etc and end up getting scratched. Also, all manual - I like smooth take off from stand still at signals and different cars need different accelerator input and different clutch release timings. I don't like jerks or getting stalled and then get embarrassed. Hence, I like driving only 1 car, the Linea.
Not to mention the left, right variations in indicator and wiper assemblies. Different cars have different wiper settings which adds to the woes. It's not simple 1, 2, 3, 4 in most cars today.

Last edited by bharatbits : 1st January 2020 at 12:58.
Old 1st January 2020, 13:27   #64
BHPian

I voted for the second option. Following are the main problems I face when switching cars:
  1. Indicator/wiper stalk switching sides
  2. Clutch feel and biting point - Hard vs soft clutch, linear bite vs jerky bite of the clutch
  3. Clutch vs no clutch - When switching between manual and automatic cars
  4. Brake bite and effectiveness
Above are the main concerns I have while switching cars, but there are following minor concerns as well:
  1. Automatic Climate Control vs manual AC - if both the cars have ACC or manual AC, then it is fine.
  2. Some other creature comforts: Auto vs manual dimming IRVM
  3. Seating comfort and driving position - It is quite evident when your cars are from two completely different segments. More prominent in long drives.
Turbo vs NA, Petrol vs Diesel etc. doesn't bother me much personally.
thehacker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 13:33   #65
Senior - BHPian

Pardon me if its discussed earlier, but how easy or difficult is to switch from Manual transmission to an AT in the same garage ?
Old 1st January 2020, 13:55   #66
BHPian

Within what we have in the family? Easier than falling asleep. The garage has a fair share of different sizes and engines, from petrol manuals to diesel automatics, but i have no problem. Its only when switching from RHD to LHD and driving a LHD in a RHD environment that i need some acclimatising kms.

However, given a choice, i would invariably take the smallest one available if i have to potter about in the city. If not, then anything goes.
I agree ergonomics matter a lot and i spend a lot of time on this before i buy a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Pardon me if its discussed earlier, but how easy or difficult is to switch from Manual transmission to an AT in the same garage ?
I would hazard a guess that many people will not have any trouble at all after a few kms of acclimatisation. I can switch easily but then i have been at it for years together now.

Last edited by N33raj : 1st January 2020 at 14:02. Reason: Wanted to add reply to post #65
Old 1st January 2020, 14:36   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Of course, it is hugely personal, but on the whole it should not be a problem at all. Our six cars have manual and ATs. Even my wife and the kids hop from one car to the next with no problems.

Jeroen
Old 1st January 2020, 15:49   #68
BHPian

Takes almost no time if it's switching between my own cars.

One is a petrol Honda city, the others are turbo-diesels (Corolla Altis & Hyundai Verna). They all behave very differently, but I'm used to all their unique traits.

The only difficulty I have is adjusting the seat after someone else has driven the car.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 20:36   #69
BHPian

No difficulty switching between my Verna petrol manual and alto even when the alto is a non power steering.

As soon as I sit in any of my cars, my head instantly adapts to it. No issue or difficulty whatsoever.

And i love enjoy both of these for their respective fun factors.
Old 1st January 2020, 20:58   #70
BHPian

Our garage has a diesel manual Honda City and a Mercedes E-Class, which are worlds apart.

However, I do not find switching between the two a problem.

I primarily use the Honda. For the days when I do drive the Benz, the car does most of the work (automatic transmission, automatic wipers, automatic lights etc) so there's really no learning curve at all.

The indicator stalks are on different sides in both cars. Moreover in the Benz the right side stalk is actually the gear shifter! Yikes! There was an instance when my dad accidentally shifted to N when he meant to turn on the left indicator.

There's a mechanism (software controlled I believe) in the Benz that prevents accidentally shifting to D, R, or P while the vehicle is already in motion and in one of those gears; it would just go to N and stay there even if you make an attempt.

Last edited by voldemort : 1st January 2020 at 21:14.
Old 1st January 2020, 21:02   #71
BHPian

I own Diesel Honda City. I am comfortable with my car which seems like extension to me. I also drive i10 owned by cousin whenever I am in my native place. Occasionally drive Nexon and XUV 500 owned by my friends.

Initially find it difficult to find the right driving position, and also adjustment to clutch handling in petrol and diesel vehicles. I am normally comfortable within few km to adapt myself to the car I am driving
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:24   #72
BHPian

We keep switching between a Seltos T-GDI 1.4 DCT and a swift AMT depending on whichever is available for my use.
Yes, there is a difference in the way a turbo gives that rush and that the Seltos is cruiser on the highway and yet it does have a tad of a pronounced lag in bumper to bumper scenarios.
The Swift on the other hand flies off the mark and being a much lighter car, is super easy to manoeuver.
I don't particularly feel much of a difference though as I prefer to drive both the cars in manual mode as I now miss the older manuals, a Laura and the old swift and yearn to shift gears with the lever.
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

I have a question to those who drive their cars in India as well as abroad.

How do you guys manage to adjust with the different driving sides?
I travel a lot, but have never driven outside India. Just sitting in the passenger seat at times gives me scares when I am in one of the 'Right hand drive countries'.
Old 2nd January 2020, 12:56   #74
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I have a question to those who drive their cars in India as well as abroad.

How do you guys manage to adjust with the different driving sides?
I travel a lot, but have never driven outside India. Just sitting in the passenger seat at times gives me scares when I am in one of the 'Right hand drive countries'.

This has been an easy one for me since i figured out a basic concept...
Right hand or left hand, while driving, just make sure that the drivers side is near the center of the road (ie the median). This comes in handy when at an intersection and suddenly want to do what you are used to doing normally.
I have driven extensively LH and RH and it always used to trouble me until I thought about it when someone asked me for tips to drive in the US when they were visiting me in Texas.

All in all, driving multiple cars does not trouble me at all, except, as some people have pointed out... EU cars (cars designed to be LH) have the indicator on the left side of the steering wheel and Jap/Korean cars (Designed to be RH?) have the indicator on the right side of the steering wheel.
I think the LH designed cars have the indicator on the side where the left hand is not used for the gear shift (ie free hand when changing gears) and the RH drive designed cars have their indicators on the Right side as the left had is used to operate the gear shift.
Anyways that's my 2 cents Hope its been helpful to someone.

cheers..
Old 2nd January 2020, 16:44   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
This has been an easy one for me since i figured out a basic concept...
Right hand or left hand, while driving, just make sure that the drivers side is near the center of the road (ie the median).

Anyways that's my 2 cents Hope its been helpful to someone.

cheers..
Such a simple idea! However, the fun starts when you rent a car in RHD Britain and drive into LHD France or vice versa! Now that i need a few kms even now to reset my brain!
And i think you are right about the theory on indicator stalk positions on LHD and RHD cars.
N33raj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks