Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 12:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
They already have a price advantage. The sonata embera CRDi is priced almost 2L lesser than the honda accord petrol.
Via discounts on street price? The ex-show room price difference is around 25K (Embera CRDi - 14.77 and accord 15.05 in Bangalore).
Old 24th April 2007, 13:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if I read it somewhere or was just dreaming

The i30 sedan version is going to replace the Elantra..
Old 24th April 2007, 13:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gotta love Hyundais new designs, and I am glad it is getting rid of the "quirky" design culture. The new Sonata, Elantra, Getz and the i30 have very clean lines.
Yup. However the Verna disappointed with its Eggy looks (some people seem to love it, though - my FIL was raving over the looks, something I couldnt understand but then he's my FIL!).

The other point is the quality of construction - one of my friends was getting his Azera's ICE upgraded with Dampers and stuff (why, I dont know - it has 8 Infinity speakers and a sub as OE) and thats when we got to inspect the club-sandwich beadings on the doors (3 layers of super high-quality beadings of different types) and the phenomenally well-build doors. Wind noise is absolutely minimal on that car and the drive to the install centre was terrific. I was very very impressed.
Old 24th April 2007, 13:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

So where does the i30 fit in? A getz replacement? or something between the getz and the verna? hmmm

One thing I dont like about the design is the front grille which IMO is too small.

OT: More than the badge its the product that matters. The old Sonata was a lot better accepted than the new one because people perceived it to be a lot better product. Also if the badge was so important why would people love Skoda so much? the Octavia was perceived to be a nice solid product and so people loved it.

Last edited by khanak : 24th April 2007 at 13:25.
Old 24th April 2007, 13:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Not sure if I read it somewhere or was just dreaming

The i30 sedan version is going to replace the Elantra..
you are right. It will be the base for next Elantra.
Old 24th April 2007, 13:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
you are right. It will be the base for next Elantra.
But the next Elantra is already on the roads. This one isnt.
Old 3rd May 2007, 15:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Elantra Wagon based on i30

Hyundai plans to launch the i30 wagon in US badged as a Elantra Wagon. Could we see something similar happen in India? The Elantra wagon will be a nice variant addition to Hhyundai India's range.

Source: Autoblog.com: i30 based Elantra wagon for US.

Last edited by amit : 3rd May 2007 at 15:17.
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

im really sorry to mention this but i dont see a market in india for a premium hatch without a boot yet.even though a large handful of us enthusiasts would love to own a hot hatch on those lines....and esp hyundai is not known to churn out sporty engines(eg the accent tornado, sonata embera etc. with high bhp figures but mushy and slow responding) so we dont know how their sports tuning for india would be..as always theyll detune the engine for indian fuel condns and blunt its performance.
i think the closest to a hot hatch in india is the palio 1.6 but that dint sell well either..the swift diesel could be a hot hatch and ill be hapy to see someone strap on a petes on to it(when its available) and show us how the hot crdi scorches the road!
Old 29th June 2007, 09:39   #24
BHPian

Car Magazine Online Review

Car Magazine Online has a nice review of the i30:

Hyundai i30 - First Drives - Carmagazine.co.uk
Old 29th June 2007, 12:27   #25
Team-BHP Support

I have driven the Embera and while it is not as much fun to drive as say an Octy RS it si not a bad car. It feel soild (does not feel Korean or even Jap) and I loved the rear leg room compared to the cramped octy and marginally better Corolla/Civic.

Yes the hgh initial price killed it. When you kill the initial excitement the image suffers. Imagine pricing the Emebra at the same price as the Accord.

Hyusdai has does this time and again and I will be surprised if they have learnt. They seem to be doing a "lets see how high a price we can get away with" policy.

If they bring the i30 in where do they position it? As a premium hatch costing almost as much as a base Verna? A fully loaded Getz sells for 5.5L. A Base Verna is about 1L more.

In the developed world where the thought of paying more for a hatch than a sedan is common it is ok. With the "kilo-ke-hisab" Indian mentality you are cornered.

So where do they slot the i30? "Urban-hatch - for those who can afford the Verna but not the parking space"? :-)

Last edited by navin : 29th June 2007 at 12:28.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:02   #26
BHPian

Cars looks good but who know when its coming to india as hyundai is known to get the best they have to offer to india it should make it here soon
Old 15th July 2007, 12:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

The i30 was launched in the UK last week - see report below which indicates the engine range starts at 1.6 litre diesel and includes a 142 bhp 2.0 litre diesel as the range topper.

Report from the AutoChannel includes video:

Hyundai Opens New Chapter with Launch of i30 - VIDEO ENHANCED

Looks like the test mule codenamed 'Pa' which is rumoured to be the Santro replacement is a shrunk version of this car. This one's to be the Getz replacement in Europe.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th July 2007 at 12:23.
Old 15th July 2007, 23:37   #28
BHPian

I think this is the wider problem of Indian auto companies and pricing, for instance the Getz should have done much better, it had an early advantage, the marketing folks in some of these companies seem to be more interested in brand than sales.
Old 16th July 2007, 00:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

I hope its a Getz replacement in India as well! About the looks- everyone and his uncle have been raving about it. The headlamps look like those from the Toyota Avensis, the side profile resembles the Seat Altea, the rear hatch has a bit of Beemer 1-series in it and the rear lights seem to have come off a Citroen. Yet, it manages to look good.
Old 16th July 2007, 01:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

Doesnt the front end treatment shout

'Civic'?

I cant help but think its a copy cat from upfront.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks