Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 10:10   #46
BHPian

South Korean auto giant Hyundai Motor Company, the parent of Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL), is working on a prototype to replace its Elantra sedan.

The new car, i30, would be a next-generation sedan that Hyundai wants to launch in India sometime next year. "We are working on the i30 in Korea. We will launch it when it is ready," HS Lheem, Managing Director, Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL) told Hindustan Times on the sidelines of the launch of the i10, the company's new compact car.

The Elantra and the Sonata Embera have suffered reverses in the C and D segments with the launch of new cars, including the Toyota Camry, the Honda Civic and the Honda Accord. Lheem said that the i30 is a premium hatchback modeled on the lines of the Chevrolet SRV, but added that the i30 launched in India would be a sedan.

"We have stopped selling the Elantra as it is a completely knocked down (CKD) unit and there are excise issues in bringing the parts down from Korea," Lheem added.

India is emerging as HMIL's small car exporting hub of the world, said J Kook Choi, President, Hyundai Motor.

Car sales in the country have slumped this year hit by a credit squeeze, according to industry data. Numbers for Hyundai's B+ segment, which offers the Verna sedan, has also seen stagnating sales. HMIL is also increasing its dealerships from 196 dealers operating now to 300 next year as a part of its consolidation strategy, Lheem said.

Source: Hyundai plans replacements- Hindustan Times

So, i30 will be sedan, we all were expecting New Elantra 2007 (in U.S) will replace the old elantra here. But this source says it will be i30 sedan. a lot of confusion. lol

Last edited by Hyundai.Lover : 7th November 2007 at 10:11.
Old 7th November 2007, 21:07   #47
BHPian

i30 Rocks!

I saw a few of i30s in S. Korea. The road presence is awesome. I saw a red one pass by even before I could take a pic. I saw a brown one parked near my hotel. The pics dont do justice to the car [N73's camera sucks at low light conditions]

Old 8th November 2007, 09:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I saw a few of i30s in S. Korea. The road presence is awesome. I saw a red one pass by even before I could take a pic. I saw a brown one parked near my hotel. The pics dont do justice to the car [N73's camera sucks at low light conditions]

Approx what percentage of Hyundai Cars you had seen in S.Korea?
Old 8th November 2007, 13:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

my dad was in s.korea 2 months ago.. there are very few european auto makers.you will find many cars from Hyundai, Kia, ssangyong,Samsung.. and few Chevrole i.e daewoo cars. there are many LCV's from Hyundai and Daewoo which we dont know.

Last edited by tushky : 8th November 2007 at 13:51.
Old 8th November 2007, 14:38   #50
BHPian

Zee business news was saying that elantra and tucson will be phased out and santa fe will be launched.
Old 8th November 2007, 19:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
Approx what percentage of Hyundai Cars you had seen in S.Korea?
A significant chunk. I would say close to 35%. An equal % is shared by Daewoo. Surprise was to see Samsung cars. There is a mix of Japanese/German/American (remember S.Korea is an US ally and there is infact a US army base in the middle of Seoul) cars making up the rest.
Old 8th November 2007, 19:56   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
A significant chunk. I would say close to 35%. An equal % is shared by Daewoo. Surprise was to see Samsung cars. There is a mix of Japanese/German/American (remember S.Korea is an US ally and there is infact a US army base in the middle of Seoul) cars making up the rest.
One more ques...
Which Hyundai Car we will find most in S. Korea? Sonata Embera or Tiburon? Is that true that new Tibby is coming soon. Sorry for going a bit offtopic.

and what are the feedbacks for i30 in S. Korea?
Old 8th November 2007, 22:54   #53
BHPian

Hyundai_Lover: Most of the cars I saw in S. Korea are Hyundai! (over 50%). I have also seen GM-Daewoo (lots of Optra-s (called Lacetti), Samsung (yes - Samsung sells Nissan cars branded as Samsung SM3, SM5 and SM7 (they are even 'inspired' in numbering the cars!)) - I was going around (field testing of Wibro/Wimax) in a Daewoo Rezzo.

I have also seen lots of Mercs, Beemers, Lexus, Audis and Porsches too! A very rich country!
Old 8th November 2007, 23:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Hyundai_Lover: Most of the cars I saw in S. Korea are Hyundai! (over 50%). I have also seen GM-Daewoo (lots of Optra-s (called Lacetti), Samsung (yes - Samsung sells Nissan cars branded as Samsung SM3, SM5 and SM7 (they are even 'inspired' in numbering the cars!)) - I was going around (field testing of Wibro/Wimax) in a Daewoo Rezzo.

I have also seen lots of Mercs, Beemers, Lexus, Audis and Porsches too! A very rich country!
Wish we could also have such lovely cars at good price.
Old 13th November 2007, 19:40   #55
BHPian

Quote:
One more ques...
Which Hyundai Car we will find most in S. Korea? Sonata Embera or Tiburon?
and what are the feedbacks for i30 in S. Korea?
The max you find is Sonata. They have a fancy for big cars. You find a good number of Grandeur & Centennail too.

Cant comment on i30 as I haven't been to SK in the recent past.
Old 13th November 2007, 21:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
The max you find is Sonata. They have a fancy for big cars. You find a good number of Grandeur & Centennail too.

Cant comment on i30 as I haven't been to SK in the recent past.
i guessed it right. Sonata. Hey! Azera or Tibby?
Old 13th November 2007, 22:01   #57
BHPian

i30 by far is one of the best korean designs i've seen in the recent past. quite a looker.
Old 13th November 2007, 23:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

correct me if i am wrong guys 'but is the i30 going to compete with the chevy SRV / skoda fabia hatch?
Old 14th November 2007, 19:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
correct me if i am wrong guys 'but is the i30 going to compete with the chevy SRV / skoda fabia hatch?
Na, It will be coming as a Sedan not a Hatch.
Old 14th November 2007, 20:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Na, It will be coming as a Sedan not a Hatch.
bt ho can they launch a sedan wont it be very close fit between verna and the elantra?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed