Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2020, 12:47   #16
BHPian

re: Innova Crysta BS6 Diesel to come only with 2.4L engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Seems lower end variants have less price hike than higher end variants. If the change is only to make the engine BSVI, why the price hike is not same across variants?
I just read on CarDekho that Toyota has made electronic stability control, hill assist, and emergency brake signal as standard on the Crysta. This goes against the lower price hike for lower variants. Guess cost and price being different things are playing their role here.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 6th January 2020 at 12:49.
tarik.arora is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 13:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

So like the previous generation Innova and Fortuner from 2020 onwards they will be differentiated by the engine.

India was one of the "few" countries Toyota sold the Innova with 2.8 engine. South east asian countries got the Innova with only 2.4 engine in both MT and AT trims. They never got 2.8 in Innova.

I am eager to see if they have used the full Euro6 emission control kit as found on models abroad or used a "economical version of it for the price sensitive Indian market.

As per Toyota's website the 2.4GXAT 8 seater costs 18.30Lakhs ex-showroom in Kerala. in 2016 the 2.8GXAT 8 seater was 2 lakhs cheaper.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 13:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
As per Toyota's website the 2.4GXAT 8 seater costs 18.30Lakhs ex-showroom in Kerala. in 2016 the 2.8GXAT 8 seater was 2 lakhs cheaper.
The difference between MT and AT have reduced. Earlier 2.8 GX AT used to cost about 1.4Lac more than 2.4GX MT, now the difference is 1Lac. In 2017 I bought my GX MT for about 18.2L onroad, the same will now cost about 22L. Is that not good for existing Crysta owners?
On a different note, would it be possible now to fit the AT box to existing 2.4 MT cars?I know it will cost a bomb, but just curious.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th January 2020 at 13:30. Reason: Not = note.
Old 6th January 2020, 13:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The difference between MT and AT have reduced. Earlier 2.8 GX AT used to cost about 1.4Lac more than 2.4GX MT, now the difference is 1Lac. In 2017 I bought my GX MT for about 18.2L onroad, the same will now cost about 22L. Is that not good for existing Crysta owners?
On a different note, would it be possible now to fit the AT box to existing 2.4 MT cars?I know it will cost a bomb, but just curious.
Yes, and that was one of the reasons why I bought it in 2016 itself since the prices were only going to go up. 2.4 MT can be converted to 2.4 AT but the wiring harness, ECU, gearbox and radiator are the major parts that needs replacement. Economically it will make more sense to exchange the MT for AT.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th January 2020 at 13:30.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 13:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
I just read on CarDekho that Toyota has made electronic stability control, hill assist, and emergency brake signal as standard on the Crysta. ...
Unfortunately that does not seem to be true. The specifications in their website which is updated to show the engine change for AT still shows no VSC and Hill start assist for GX/VX variants.
Old 6th January 2020, 13:42   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

All I can say is, if you wanted an Innova Automatic, go buy the 2.8 AT now! While the 2.4 is more than adequate, the 2.8 is really special (by MPV standards). Plus, you'll get a good price too. Check with all Toyota dealers and pick one from their existing stock.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 13:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Is this a Kia Carnival effect?
The Kia comes with a 2.2L engine, and many buyers would not probably mind looking at a 2.4L Toyota Diesel as long as it comes with an A/T.
If I really want a people mover, I will pick the Innova anyday for the simple reason, RWD plus Ladder on frame Chassis and the Carnival being a Front Wheel Drive and monocoque. If anyone has observed, monocoques tend to sag heavily if fully loaded which I detest.
The 2.8 is a torque monster, sad to see it discontinued.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 6th January 2020 at 13:50.
rakesh_r is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 14:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
If I really want a people mover, I will pick the Innova anyday for the simple reason, RWD plus Ladder on frame Chassis and the Carnival being a Front Wheel Drive and monocoque. If anyone has observed, monocoques tend to sag heavily if fully loaded which I detest.
The 2.8 is a torque monster, sad to see it discontinued.

Innova AT had lot of issues with overpowered engine as well i guess. Especially, the deterioration of brake pads was attributed to the engine....Also 2.4 AT, may be we can expect better mileage for AT.

Spoke to the dealer today, they have old stock as well as some customers prefer 2.8AT.

I was expecting updated Infotainment with Apple Car Play and Android Auto...not sure if they will include it....

Last edited by BlackPearl : 7th January 2020 at 21:32. Reason: Typos
motorheart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 14:33   #24
BHPian

The least Toyota could do was to introduce 6speed MT in 2.4 which I guess was restricted to only 2.4 touring sport models.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 14:59   #25
BHPian

Mod Note: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers. Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2020 at 07:50.
motorheart is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th January 2020, 15:37   #26
BHPian

Now I guess this makes the Hexa A/T's powertrain combo look much more superior considering that fantastic gearbox and 400nm of torque as compared to the 342nm of the crysta's 2.4 diesel.

The 2.8 in the Crysta makes it a joy to drive on the highway. It has more than enough poke to pull off overtakes even high speeds or those 2 lane highway overtakes plus remains super quiet while cruising at 100-120kmh.It actually made the Crysta faster than its elder brother.This engine would surely be missed.

I think Toyota decided to remove this engine because the Crysta A/T would become way too expensive and they have finally realised that they can't continue to charge a premium for the badge(KIA Carnival effect).

Some improvement they definitely should have made with the BS6 launch are Android auto,Apple Carplay and include rear disc brakes(major con of the Crysta).

Happy to own a 2.8.Hope it doesn't affect the resale value.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th January 2020 at 15:48. Reason: High speeds mention and typos.
TSIVTEC is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 16:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Now I guess this makes the Hexa A/T's powertrain combo look much more superior considering that fantastic gearbox and 400nm of torque as compared to the 342nm of the crysta's 2.4 diesel.
The 2.8 in the Crysta makes it a joy to drive on the highway. It has more than enough poke to pull off overtakes even high speeds or those 2 lane highway overtakes plus remains super quiet while cruising at 100-120kmh.It actually made the Crysta faster than its elder brother.This engine would surely be missed.
Some improvement they definitely should have made with the BS6 launch are Android auto,Apple Carplay and include rear disc brakes(major con of the Crysta).
From the spec sheet shared earlier, 2.4 AT makes 360NM of torque compared to 343 NM of Manual. This is exactly same torque as 2.8 . Secondly even though Hexa makes 400NM and has 156PS, it is about 500KG heavier! The PWR mode in 2.4 is equally fun as 2.8 though the former lacks top end and bit more noisier.

Do note the current BS6 prices are "Introductory". There is a midlife update expected in 3-4 months time. This update should come with Android Auto/Carplay, additional features, updated front/rear design and the inevitable Price Hike . By the time Innova gets all new version, base version's price would be jacked up to 25L and top end would cost 35L.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 16:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post

Happy to own a 2.8.Hope it doesn't affect the resale value.

BS6 Hexa is not announced yet. You can never predict Tata's antics. They might see this as a chance to discontinue their best variant itself or maybe even decrease the power.

2.8 is a special car now. Your resale value will only go up. I will not be surprised if 2.8 Innova's starts appreciating in value post BS6 rather than depreciating.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 17:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wondering whether BS6 makes a difference to the 10-year diesel ownership limit in NCR? Is there a benefit to being cleaner?
Old 6th January 2020, 18:00   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
If anyone has observed, monocoques tend to sag heavily if fully loaded which I detest.
This isn't true. The sag isn't linked to the chassis type but the suspension component tuning. The simplest example to argue with your point is the Tata Safari from gen 1 right upto the Storme. It sags a lot even with just 4 people in the car.

(Of course, I'm not suggesting if Carnival is better or the Innova. Just talking about the sag point.)
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks