Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 20:43   #46
BHPian

Re: Innova Crysta BS6 Diesel to come only with 2.4L engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
I don't think anyone has complained about the FE of the 2.8 engine. I get 12.5 to 13 consistently on 80% highway driving. I think 2.4 engine is not better than this. Or is it ?
2.4 engine gives around 13 kmpl, as per the MID on highways (when I drove at 110-120 kmph speeds predominantly, and sparingly at 140kmph speeds) . I need to check full tank to full tank and that too on highway usage.
Old 7th January 2020, 22:04   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
I don't think anyone has complained about the FE of the 2.8 engine. I get 12.5 to 13 consistently on 80% highway driving. I think 2.4 engine is not better than this. Or is it ?
This is for the truck we picked up a month back; I mean the van with a truck engine. Since my running is on a higher side (take a look at odo reading too) and I frequently do routes like Delhi-Lucknow, Delhi-Ludhiana etc. This pic was clicked a few days back on the way to Lucknow;a very heavy footed drive and that's where the 2.8 shines.

When you are on the expressway speeds and beyond, even at the south of 120 or 20% above it (120 is official speed limit of EPE), you still expect this 2.8 to stay relaxed unlike the 2.4 or other puny motors from compact SUVs and manage to deliver over 10 kpl (Heck, it delivers up to 14-15 kpl even at 120 kph expressway drives on cruise).

Where 2.8 really shines is the point where the competition is grasping for breath or is already dead (Be is 5 seat Creta or a 7 seat XUV). This picture was taken ahead of Jewar toll on YEW and speed throughout the Lucknow to Jewar was ahead of where many compact SUVs get in the take off mode. If this motor is on a long haul, the 2.8 is relaxed even at some unmentionable speeds and you expect a very respectable FE figure even with RPM needle hovering between 2500 to 3000 rpm in the 6D (Any owner can guess the speeds I am talking of), the speeds where the likes of Creta also fail to hit 10 kpl as the engine is already near it's peak.
Innova Crysta BS6 Diesel to come only with 2.4L engine-expy.jpeg

Trust me guys when I say this; if anyone thinks Crysta is an over priced vehicle; the 2.7 and 2.8 deserve a premium in themselves other than all other attributes of the car. Looking at the likes of Creta and Seltos; I feel that 2.8 and 2.7 are indeed value for money cars. Both of these motors, when on the boil; can give any C segment sedan or compact SUV or even full sized SUVs a run for their money on the highway. The 2.8 is brisk and the 2.7 - when on boil, this engine makes this van go like a rocket, seriously; I have done many duels between 2.8 and 2.7 and I am always surprised to see the 2.7 finally managing to overtake the 2.8 after both of them reach the stupendous numbers; no wonder - the peak torque point of diesel is over where the petrol actually starts pulling at higher revs.

Last edited by VKumar : 7th January 2020 at 22:10.
VKumar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 08:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I rode back to back in a Crysta and a Marrazo. The Marrazo actually had better passenger comfort. Marrazo felt much more smoother/refined and had even better ride quality. I think at least in the taxi market once people experience Marrazo they may wonder what the hoopla around crysta is.
I took a Revv Marazzo for a 2K+ trip recently and was pleasantly surprised by the ride, comfort and engine. While I've never owned a people mover in my life, I've taken sufficient amount of trips in these contraptions to say that the Marazzo was at par with the Innova, perhaps better.
Some sources that I know say that the BS6 Marazzo will have better interiors, a 140+ bhp engine and better dynamics. Can't wait for this one which might be a better value proposition by miles.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 10:49   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabujsen View Post
Since all Crysta models will use SCR and DPF, why are the prices different for different variants?
Good point . It's called the royal Toyota rip-off. Toyota India has historically proven that they will extract the maximum $$$ possible out of every customer.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 10:50   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Well the discounts seem to have started. 20k off on the ZX AT BS4. If anyone is interested. I am haggling further.
Old 8th January 2020, 10:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I believe Toyota might get away with this one but I will be surprised if they reach 2018 or 2019 numbers in 2020.
Toyota cars were always expensive but now these are getting overly expensive and with the limited new models/ features, it will be tough for them to sustain the large network they have built. I foresee difficult times for them.
Toyota Kirloskar's Vice Chairman, Mr.kirloskar pretty much said the same thing about 2020 and beyond for Toyota Kirloskar in India - https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...8.cms?from=mdr

Quote:
"It is a big structural issue that we will have to go through...Affordability is the real problem," Kirloskar told when asked how the recent steps taken by the government to boost auto industry has helped.
"(BS 6 standard) increases the cost (of vehicles), EMI goes up. EMIs as a percentage of a person's salary start increasing. It is an affordability issue," Kirloskar said.
"In 2020 we are going to have higher priced vehicles. Already this issue of EMI as percentage of salary, to my mind, is not going to change. It will get worse," he added.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 11:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Well the discounts seem to have started. 20k off on the ZX AT BS4. If anyone is interested. I am haggling further.
Is 20K discount not way too less for BS4? I believe these are Dec manufactured ones. Innova usually have about 15K corporate cash discount throughout the year.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 13:00   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Least Toyota can do is get a 2.0L diesel engine & gear box/automatic especially for the Innova Crysta with better efficiency and refinement that is BS 6 compliant and then hike the price, instead of short changing the customer with same old reworked 2.4 coupled with a 'fat' price hike. How difficult is it for Toyota to get a 2.0L diesel and a 6 speed manual and automatic gearbox?? When Hyundai can give a 2.0L diesel with 185 ps and 40.8 kgm torque in its Tucson why not Toyota?
Why should they? The Hyundai 2.0L engine doesn't come close to the Toyota's reliability. This is the whole problem of downsizing. The 2.8L engine with 170BHP was relaxed and not stressed out. Thereby achieving bullet proof reliability. The 2.8L will easily outlast the 2.0L Hyundai motor in the long run.

Infact the highlight is that they went for the larger engine which is good for a 7 seater as there will be minimal lag and better drive-ability.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 13:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Why should they? The Hyundai 2.0L engine doesn't come close to the Toyota's reliability.
If anyone has doubts on Toyota's reliability, just search for the official ISIS vehicle, its the Toyota Hilux, which is nothing but the truck variant of the Fortuner. There are reports that the Hilux was the preferred car by them because of the amazing reliability and the ability to take abuse. The trucks never had any access to service stations or even good quality fuel, further they were mounted with heavy artillery and used on war torn land, yet they performed well and they illegally procured more of these cars over the years. I believe Toyota would never do anything that is detrimental to the reliability of engines, especially downsizing or fitting complex electronics.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 14:21   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Is 20K discount not way too less for BS4? I believe these are Dec manufactured ones. Innova usually have about 15K corporate cash discount throughout the year.
2019 there were two cars with the dealer which got sold for an overall benefit of 40k. For 2020 the current discount is 20k but I think it will increase for the AT since it has only private buyers and they would rather pay the small difference and book the BS6. I have asked him to sweeten the deal if he wants my booking.
Old 8th January 2020, 18:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

UPDATED Price list in chennai for the BS VI Innova crysta

Innova Crysta BS6 Diesel to come only with 2.4L engine-screenshot-20200108-6.25.17-pm.png
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 18:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
TGA package is loot, wooden panels for VX and ZX? As I know every Innova comes with rubber mats and mudflaps from factory. This is included in the ex-showroom price.
Old 8th January 2020, 21:02   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good point . It's called the royal Toyota rip-off. Toyota India has historically proven that they will extract the maximum $$$ possible out of every customer.
I am quite perplexed that manufacturer’s get away with such pricing, without any justification.

@GTO: Sorry about the typos in my post. Will take care in the future posts.
Old 8th January 2020, 21:40   #59
BHPian

Why is Toyota still not offering a diesel AT in the mid-spec VX trim?
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 22:21   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
So alongwith the 2.8, guess the 6spd manual in the 2.4 seems to have gone. No mention of Touring sport version so far. (Or is Toyota serious about treating Touring Sport as a separate model range)

Most Viewed