Team-BHP - December 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   December 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/217554-december-2019-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis.html)

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.

Thanks Aditya for the December sales data:

Some more observations.

For the auto industry December seem to be a better month comparatively as the Industry’s growth was flat from the past negative.

Industry firmly believe the revival path will only be seen in next fiscal and that too in early 2021.

Star performers of the Month:
- Maruti Suzuki Alto ( #1 in 2019)
- Maruti Suzuki Baleno ( #1 in Dec-19)
- Renault Triber (game changer for Renault)

Maruti Suzuki: Claws back to a positive growth and consolidates its dominance with a Market share at 52 %.
Baleno the premium car becomes the best seller of Dec-19 beating the entry level ALTO by almost 4.5k in numbers. With Glanza added it becomes 20,084.
Alto though sidelined in Dec, becomes the best seller in calendar year 2019 by selling 2,08,087 units. Dzire is the runner up with 1,98,904 units.
Highlights: Maruti Suzuki now has almost all its cars leading in their respective segments.
S Presso remains in the top 10 cars of Dec-10, Ertiga twins does well taking the MUV segment to a 15% growth, Vitara Brezza holds up as the segment leader inspire of an absence of a petrol variant. Ciaz regains its leadership position.

Hyundai: Hyundai falls in a negative growth at 10 %, loses market share and is now at ~ 16 %.
Highlights: Hyundai had 2 offerings in the Top 10 (i20 & Venue). Creta beats Kia Seltos and is leading in the mid SUV segment

Mahindra: Another company like Maruti Suzuki showing a positive growth at 9 % and increase in Market share which is @ 6.5%
Losing edge in the UVs race, M&M has something radical to do to gain traction. The competent Marazzo sales are dropping each month post Ertiga launch. XUV300 though has increased in volumes still is trending behind Nexon, will the BS6 variant that is launched help to arrest the negative trend?

KIA: Seltos volumes at 4645 is baffling. Could be Kia is betting to reduce the MY19 stock so that the cars are later not sold at a discount. However; Jan’20 performance shall give a clear picture.
It is now at 2% Market Share in Dec’19 and was ousted in the top ten as Seltos sold a below par 4,645 units and rather ranked 19th in the overall car sales.

TATA Motors: Sold a total of 12,785 units in Dec 2019, down in growth at 10% YoY . Can it perform better with a slew of new launches announced?
Highlights: Nexon is now the 3rd best seller in its segment, beats Ford’s EcoSport. But fall short in other segments. Hexa still in 3 digit sale numbers. Harrier beats XUV sales .Will need to see how Altroz will contribute to the overall sales numbers?

Toyota: Glanza the re-badged Baleno becomes their second best seller. Innova volumes fall due to Eriga twins. Fortuner too has its fall in number. BS 6 production starts?
The Luxury MPV shows dispatches to dealers. Interesting to see how the re-badged cars from Maruti would contribute to Toyota’s sales, going forward.

Volkswagen/Skoda: Nothing great for them, but amazing to see how Polo is still doing great numbers much ahead of JAZZ, FIGO and the rest. Polo is now in 3rd position in the Premium hatchback segment.
Skoda Rapid for the very first time is the runner up in the premium mid sedan segment. beats Hyundai’s Verna and Honda’s City.

Entry Level:
Name:  alto.PNG
Views: 45682
Size:  46.9 KB

Compact Hatchback:
Name:  swift.PNG
Views: 45623
Size:  54.1 KB

Premium Hatchback:
Name:  baleno.PNG
Views: 45461
Size:  48.8 KB

Compact SUV:
Name:  Vitara B.PNG
Views: 45419
Size:  60.1 KB

MPV:
Name:  ERTIGA.PNG
Views: 45418
Size:  73.4 KB

Compact Sedan:
Name:  Dzire.PNG
Views: 45022
Size:  41.2 KB

Mid-size Sedan:
Name:  ciaz.PNG
Views: 44867
Size:  42.3 KB

Premium Sedan:
Name:  octavia.PNG
Views: 44827
Size:  38.2 KB

Luxury Sedan:
Name:  Superb.PNG
Views: 44590
Size:  26.8 KB

Mid - SUV:
Name:  CRETA.PNG
Views: 44640
Size:  47.8 KB

Premium -SUV:
Name:  fORT.PNG
Views: 44517
Size:  44.3 KB

In Top 10:

Maruti Suzuki - 8
Hyundai - 2

Source:Auto Punditz

I am quite surprised, Nexon is holding on to its numbers and XUV300 and Ecosport have reduced sales despite Nexon facelift round the corner. As a Nexon owner this makes me happy that the car will be supported for few years.

C2 sedans are having the worst time in recent memory. Thier total sales is less than half of Brezza alone. And quite less than Venue alone.

I am equally surprised that Creta has so many takers despite Seltos. Mahindra should have launched XUV300 in this space instead of CSUV. They would have had better success.

Good to see Harrier is picking up. I would have loved to own one.Finally ended up with Nexon.

Toyota sold 1 car of Corolla? What does this mean - Are they launching the new Corolla or is it the lag between BS4 and BS6? Or is the Corolla brand dead in India?

Honda City also barely managed 4 digits! Perhaps their lowest ever? There is no date finalized yet on the new model launch!

Good to see the market rewarding the Triber and catapulting Renault into Top 5! Can they retain? Interesting to see how this pans out.

I am not sure if others are facing the issue or not, but the images in the opening post are not showing up in the post.

I have tried:
- Mobile
- Desktop (Chrome, Firefox)

EDIT: The Images Open Up alright in Mobile Browser now.

Regardless, below are some observations from my side.

Positives:
1. The Harrier & XUV500 seemed to have recovered a bit. ~1500 units/month is a decent performance in my books.
2. Venue has stabilized at around 9000-9500 mark. Good achievement for Hyundai.
3. Nexon is rock steady at around 4000 unit mark. The upcoming face-lift can take this to the next level.
4. Triber is easily, a success. Consistently selling at around 5000 units monthly.

Negatives:
1. Toyota & Ford have taken a beating, literally.
2. Jeep Compass is still in 3 digit sales figures, in spite of massive discounts.
3. Seltos numbers have nose dived. Looks like some pre-planned move, to mint money by jacking up prices.
4. S-Cross is struggling, badly. The facelift with petrol option may help it reach it's potential.
5. All the mid-size sedans are taking a beating. Ciaz, City, Verna trio are languishing at ~1000 units/month mark.

I would like to make suggestion for arrangement of monthly sales table. Right now recent sales figures are in right most column in table. Instead recent sales number should be in left most column after model names/manufacturer name column. Then from left to right in the order from newest to oldest month record. This will make reading convinient. This should be done for all the tables in report.

Ford has been taking the hit quite hard, 4 out of their 5 cars are in the 'top losers' chart. Ford had stopped taking Indian market seriously quite long back and this proves it further.

What's with Kia Seltos numbers, expect a drop normally in December's charts but that deep drop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpideyBoy (Post 4726076)
What's with Kia Seltos numbers, expect a drop normally in December's charts but that deep drop?

Kia's recent price hike at a time when huge discounts were provided by its competitors has put Seltos out of its value for money proposition.

I don't think we should conclude from these Dec 2019 numbers due to either one or all of below

1) Auto companies were limiting production to limit 2019 stock. I had 20 days waiting for Endeavour 3.2 and I know some people (atleast 4 people) waiting for over 4 weeks now but the vehicle isn't available...doesn't that speak volumes? still Endeavour figures are 261, because vehicles are not available for dispatch. Dealer won't accept booking till he has the chasis number alloted.

2) BS6 models are not yet launched as they need to finish or be in range of finishing BS4 stock.

3) Some manufacturers had a shutdown in Dec 2019 or limited production in Dec2019

Hope that helps.

Surprised and happy to see the Rapid selling at 1500+ units a month, more so than the City, Verna and Vento (despite the facelift). Good job Skoda! Wish they’d add more useful features though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus (Post 4726053)
Toyota sold 1 car of Corolla? What does this mean

That is the last of BSIV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 (Post 4726110)
Wish they’d add more useful features though.

Will come in the form of face-lift with the 1.0L TSI engine.