Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2020, 15:27   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass diesel AT to be offered in lower trims

Jeep Compass BS6 diesel AT launch price from Rs 22 lakhs.

Quote:
Jeep Compass 4×4 Longitude 9AT price Rs 21.96 lakhs and Limited Plus for INR 24.99 lakh (ex-showroom, pan-India).

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th January 2020 at 15:30.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 15:34   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Link
Assuming this is for Longitude model, the on-road rice will touch 27 lakhs in some regions, and around 26 in other.

Though I am happy Jeep finally offers this option, but will be surprised if it turns around the sales of the model.
Old 14th January 2020, 16:35   #63
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel AT BS6 coming in lower variants

Compass Diesel Automatic versions launched. Top end Limited Plus trim costs a whopping 25 lakhs ex showroom

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...mages/1822645/

Last edited by SRTH1987 : 14th January 2020 at 16:37.
SRTH1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 17:10   #64
Team-BHP Support

21.96L for Longitude (O) and 24.99L for Limited Plus BS6, 4x4 and 9AT.

Pricing was as expected and predictable. On road in Bangalore will be close 28L for Longitude (O) and 32L for Limited Plus.

The Limited Plus is 2.6L lesser than the Trailhawk which is kind of surprising as it has more features but loses the additional 4x4 capability. If you compare to the manual Limited Plus 4x4, Jeep is charging ~2 lakhs more for BS6 and AT option.

Both models are pretty overpriced still and may result in slight increase in sales.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 17:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

This pricing makes the Tucson AWD more vfm. Tucson is larger, more practical , with equal creature comforts, performance wise it will hold its own with the Compass 4wd on-road and perhaps 80% as capable as Compass 4wd in rough road conditions. Not mentioning “off road” as only the Trailhawk comes remotely close to being a decent off-roader.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 18:01   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Pricing was as expected and predictable. On road in Bangalore will be close 28L for Longitude (O) and 32L for Limited Plus.
Can you please share your perspective of Kodiaq vs one of these Compass trims? Was it the additional features / interior quality / space / something else that made you to spend the extra money and spring for the Kodiaq?
Old 14th January 2020, 20:18   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Link
I think longitude auto is value for money compared to other variants . You get all the essential features needed in day to day basis along with 4*4. This is a complete package if you value solid engineering more the barely used gimmicks .
Old 15th January 2020, 00:18   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Can you please share your perspective of Kodiaq vs one of these Compass trims? Was it the additional features / interior quality / space / something else that made you to spend the extra money and spring for the Kodiaq?
I drove the Compass Trailhawk multiple times before stretching for the Kodiaq.

At no point did the Compass feel like 30+ lakhs car inside or outside. Infact when my dad wanted to try it, he asked why this was 3x the price of the Ecosport (which I own currently) when it seemed similar except for little more space at the back and a little nicer feel overall. He doesn't drive so this was only as a passenger. He was shocked when he saw Octavia was 10L cheaper than Compass but far more premium feel. Interior quality is good but again didn't feel like 30L +.

The gearbox was a huge chink in the armour. It just felt too lazy and slow to respond to the right foot. It looked like it robbed the engine of 30BHP just by not being responsive + No sports mode and no paddle shifts. In terms of features the Trailhawk was missing electric seats, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers vs the Limited Plus and pages of features lesser than a Kodiaq.

I know the Trailhawk was more purpose built for offroad and the ride was indeed much better on bad roads but overall it did not do enough to justify the price.

Over the Trailhawk, the Kodiaq was 7L more but felt like a jump into the next spectrum. It felt properly luxurious. The engine and gearbox were far far superior than the Compass and the overall feel just felt leagues ahead for not much more. I felt like I was getting a car worth 40L and worth way more than 7L over Compass. It was difficult to justify to even my dad that this was for 35L.

The new Limited Plus AT does have some additional tweaks so I need to see if the gearbox is better now and the Limited Plus has better features than Trailhawk like the electric seats, rain sensing wipers and auto headlights.

At 32L on road Bangalore the Limited Plus 4x4 AT is nearly 8L off from the Kodiaq Style. The point is the Kodiaq feels like you are getting more than that 8L from the Compass.

All variants of the Compass including Trailhawk should have been sub 30L on road in Bangalore which means ex showroom should not be more than 22L for Trailhawk and 22L for this Limited Plus AT.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th January 2020 at 00:21.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 00:24   #69
BHPian

A small query. How many airbags does the Longitude Diesel AT have? Any change in features compared to the manual?
Old 15th January 2020, 08:22   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I drove the Compass Trailhawk multiple times before stretching for the Kodiaq.

At 32L on road Bangalore the Limited Plus 4x4 AT is nearly 8L off from the Kodiaq Style. The point is the Kodiaq feels like you are getting more than that 8L from the Compass.

Just as important a comparison is the Tiguan Highline versus Jeep Compass Limited Plus 4X4. At around 30 lakhs on-road, the Compass is no comparison to the Tiguan, which is only a couple of lakhs more. At recent levels of discounting, the Tiguan was even available for around the same 30 lakhs on-road in most cities. Tiguan’s interior feels better built, the road presence and space is way more than the Compass and feature-to-feature, it is just as loaded. The key point though is the EA 288 engine and the VW dual clutch gearbox seems much more responsive than the 9-speed auto on the Jeep.

However, neither the Kodiaq nor the Tiguan is BS6, so I guess there will be some part of the buyer universe that leans to the Jeep just for this reason. VW/Skoda should have been much more pro-active here to make the BS6 Diesel available in a timely fashion. They must have sat on it for long waiting for approvals from Wolfsburg and then when they got it, their “proper German Engineering and Testing process” is taking forever

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 15th January 2020 at 08:25.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 08:33   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Just as important a comparison is the Tiguan Highline versus Jeep Compass Limited Plus 4X4. At around 30 lakhs on-road, the Compass is no comparison to the Tiguan, which is only a couple of lakhs more. At recent levels of discounting, the Tiguan was even available for around the same 30 lakhs on-road in most cities. Tiguan’s interiors feels better built, the road presence and space is way more than the Compass and feature-to-feature, it is just as loaded. The key point though is the VW dual clutch gearbox seems much more responsive than the 9-speed auto on the Jeep.
Actually with the Tiguan's current discount it is a no brainer over the Jeep.

What I am actually sad about is that the Compass was actually the perfect car for me to upgrade from the Ecosport. I liked the Trailhawk and could have managed with the slow to respond gearbox but not the price. I wanted the compass but for the price.

I knew I was being made to pay more than what the car was worth. I was looking at Seltos because price wise it hit the sweet spot but the heart was set on Compass and the driving feel it offered.

The Kodiaq had everything but it was a proper stretch in budget. I could have avoided looking at 40L SUV had the compass not been above 30L on road.

Today, the top spec Seltos Diesel AT GT line BS6 is 10L cheaper than the Limited Plus AT.

The Jeep needed to be 5-6L above the Seltos and not 10L above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
However, neither the Kodiaq nor the Tiguan are BS6, so I guess there will be some part of the buyer universe that leans to the Jeep just for this reason. VW/Skoda should have been much more pro-active here to make the BS6 Diesel available in a timely fashion. They must have sat on it for long waiting for approvals from Wolfsburg.
Their decision to move away from diesel entirely is what will hurt them. Jeep has done this right. To update the 2.0 Multijet to BS6.

Skoda/VW have so many products reliant on their 2.0TDI so it is surprising that they decided to drop the diesel. The Octavia, Superb, Kodiaq, Passat, Tiguan and even the Karoq could have come in diesel had they updated to BS6.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th January 2020 at 09:32.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 09:02   #72
BHPian

This may not be the right thread but is related. I am sorry but i am not much aware about Jeep's variants and features. Never followed this product somehow. Now that we have a BS-VI version of this, can someone help me understand the price hike? Were Longitude (O) and Limited Plus available with 4x4 before? If yes, then the price hike is on account of B-VI and 9 speed AT. If not, the hike needs to be seen differently. Also, are features same as before?

Point is: I am just trying to estimate the price hike purely on account of BS-VI.
Old 15th January 2020, 15:55   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Point is: I am just trying to estimate the price hike purely on account of BS-VI.

9 speed AT was not available in BS4 variant.
Old 15th January 2020, 19:31   #74
BHPian

Quote:

Not in terms of comparison but the car itself. The Compass 4x2 Petrol DDCT 1.4L engine is 160PS on paper but has to pull a lot more weight than the Seltos. The Seltos is quicker and far superior in performance. Secondly the Compass 1.4L Multi-air engine is notorious for ridiculously low FE. We are talking 5-6kmpl in traffic. Thirdly the 7 speed DCT is known to be one of the most unreliable boxes. Probably worse than the Kia 7DCT. Fourthly the gearbox tuning is terrible and the Compass 1.4L feels really lazy and lethargic to drive. The Seltos is the far superior pick if you compare both Turbo Petrol's.

Well, I am sure you would have experienced the car thoroughly before coming up with this analysis. I would certainly not muster the courage to say against what you described, looking at your experience and badge. But, here are couple of cents from my side. I have driven this Compass Turbo petrol for over 6000 km now. I have also driven Seltos 1.4 DCT. I have different perspective on this.
Seltos 1.4 is a great buy under 20 lacs and offers more than Compass in that range. However there are customers who would never buy a Seltos over Jeep, and there are solid reasons behind them. Tank like build quality and confidence inspiring "Thud" from the doors should be sufficient for many.

1. Seltos is quicker to ton ( only by .5 sec), Compass is faster to 140. Compass is faster in kick - down acceleration too ( both 20-80 and 40-100). I agree initial punch is missing in Compass, however the mid range and top end is superior to Seltos. So, in City driving, I would agree that Seltos is a better performing car. However on a Highway, Compass is in a different league. It's ride, handling,suspension setup,steering feedback,etc are in different league.

2. Coming to - "ridiculously low FE". I am getting an avg of 9kmpl in Delhi NCR traffic. Delhi traffic is a great sample to check real life FE. 9kmpl can be low for some, but I would like to know how many Petrol turbo SUV's can better that.

3. I am sorry, but the point you raised on DCT reliability needs to be evidenced. Can you please direct me to any thread/post/article/website which has any complaint on DCT used by Jeep. I did my research and did not found any. You also mentioned that Kia DCT is better. May be you would have seen an article on this. Request you to share that as well. I can share posts on Kia 1.4 GDI issues and there are many.

4. Well, I will agree to the point that gearbox feels hesitant in initial gears. However, the car is not lazy or lethargic if you are heavy on your foot. It is a smooth unit and is average in city. On Highway, you will not face any issues. Overtaking is super easy.

I am sure, you would have your own data sets and experience to come up with this and I respect that.

BTW, Congrats for the Czech beauty. She is one "beauty". There is one parked in our office and it looks ravishing.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th January 2020 at 10:47. Reason: Please do not use acronyms like JC. Please mention the full name or just Compass.
Roadster17 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 17:44   #75
BHPian

Got the latest prices of Compass from a friend, attached here.
Revised_Price_List_w.e.f._15_Jan_2020.pdf
Btw a colleague bought a Compass Petrol Limited Plus last week as the Kia dealer kept delaying the delivery of Seltos infinitely. He is happy with the purchase, the initial feedback is positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
BS IV Diesel LIMITED PLUS 4x4 ex showroom price: 2,311,000
BS VI Diesel LIMITED PLUS 4x4 AT ex showroom price: 2,499,000

Difference: 1,88,000 for BS VI and AT

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th January 2020 at 10:47. Reason: Please use full name and not acronym like JC
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks