Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2020, 09:57   #31
BHPian

re: Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel AT BS6 coming in lower variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
If you call yourself premium (official company line), we expect you to equip your cars commensurately.
On the official Seltos review page, it has been said by the reviewers that a car like the Seltos makes the Compass feel so overpriced. This is the primary reason why my parents went for the Seltos over the Compass.

For sure, soon even the Harrier is going to come with Hyundai's smooth 6-speed TC mated to the Multijet 2.0 for the Harrier, the Compass will surely get a beating. This model is already dead on arrival.

I don't understand how Jeep can be so stubborn and arrogant and have assumed that buyers are now going to come crawling to buy the Compass AT. Hopefully, they will come to their senses soon.

Dear Jeep, I think it's time to bring out that facelift.
BZ25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 10:42   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
On the official Seltos review page, it has been said by the reviewers that a car like the Seltos makes the Compass feel so overpriced. This is the primary reason why my parents went for the Seltos over the Compass.

Dear Jeep, I think it's time to bring out that facelift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
What Jeep urgently needs are cheaper 4x2 AT variants. 4x4 increases the cost of the car, and most users of the Compass live in the city, and will pickup the 4x2 only. It may be the oldest product, but it surely does have a fan following like the Duster once had. Jeep failed to utilize it.

A 4x2 AT would have been cheaper by atleast 1.5Lakhs, which would have made more sense.
I kind of don't agree with the above. There are a few reasons and let me explain:
  1. The Compass will never be able to match the Seltos when it comes to price. The buyer of a compass is different than one of the Seltos. A buyer who is looking for a set of driving characteristics and feel can never settle for the Seltos even if the features are more. After driving the Trailhawk and Seltos, I found it very difficult to convince myself for the Seltos. I ended up with a Kodiaq which was a huge jump but as mentioned by 46theDoctor, the Compass is overpriced for what it offers. The Seltos is 22L on road for top end diesel AT but the Trailhawk is 35L. The Compass is superior but not 13L superior. It should have been under 30L for this Trailhawk which would justify the premium over the Seltos, Harrier, Hector.

What the Compass offers is superior driving feel, solidity, depth of engineering, strong mechanicals. Some of these are not easy to describe on paper but more on feel. On a paper to paper comparison, the Compass will lose badly.

2. The Compass does not need additional gimmicky features like HUD, 360 camera, connected car thru mobile app. IMO these will not change the sales of the car. When the Compass was launched it was too stripped down even for the top end. The Limited plus has all the features one will ever need today but the price is plain silly for the MT today @ 29L on road and that means the ZF9 BS6 AT will be 32+.

What the Compass needs is not more features to match the Kia as Compass buyers don't really buy it for the fancy features. What it needs is a price correction!

3. A 4X2 AT might help reduce the price but let's be realistic. A 4x2 Diesel AT doesn't exist anywhere in the world for Jeep and they are surely not going to redesign the gearbox for India. Jeep gets the ZF9 gearbox only with 4x4.

I also agree that the 4x4 and AT is actually a USP and buyers will appreciate it.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th January 2020 at 10:44.
Vid6639 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 11:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

One of my automotive wishlist is to own a compact 4x4 (sub 4.5m) , preferably automatic. Testing this against Jeeps off road USP, I see that only the Tucson comes somewhat close and even that is not as much an offroader as the Compass is. The Tiguan is priced a bit higher, the CRV is inadequately powered / larger, less capable and the rest are ladder-frame outsized beasts, that too at a higher price.
So Jeeps USP still holds, but they are simply not doing enough to make it more popular. At the end of the day, volumes create perceptions. Just 2-3 lac cheaper, and there will be customers who care beyond bling.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 9th January 2020 at 11:17.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 11:28   #34
BHPian

Jeep is going to die a slow and painful death like its sibling fiat, compact SUV segment is getting crowded before jeep launches its renegade. Why don't any manufacture see a compact 5 seater 4x4 with AT, under 15lac on road price. This is the most neglected segment which has a huge potential, as all the established players in this segment have crawled up near 20L for a diesel AT. Mahindra and tata atleast should have tapped this market.
drbones is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 11:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
[*]A 4X2 AT might help reduce the price but let's be realistic. A 4x2 Diesel AT doesn't exist anywhere in the world for Jeep and they are surely not going to redesign the gearbox for India. Jeep gets the ZF9 gearbox only with 4x4.

I also agree that the 4x4 and AT is actually a USP and buyers will appreciate it.[/list]
When it comes to numbers - do we have an official Jeep Compass break-up between 4x4 and 4x2? I am guessing/assuming the 4x4 sales will be less than 10%. And most dealers push the left over stock with huge discounts.

Maximum buyers want a pseudo SUV and most never really off-road. Given this, 4x2 AT would have a good demand for sure. But we have to accept the fact that 4x2 with AT is not available readily and Jeep may not put in the effort to bring this/create this in the near future.
Old 9th January 2020, 11:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

So, finally Jeep wakes up

Was wondering - what would differentiate the Trailhawk from top-spec (not sure which variant - never could get a hang of the zillion variants the Compass offers) 4x4 diesel auto? Additional ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, and rock-mode. Anything else? Ah, yes - the "Trail Rated" badge of course.

I am just trying to look at this from the perspective of a potential buyer in this (compact 4x4 SUV) segment. If I were to pick between the two, what would make me pick the Trailhawk over the regular 4x4 auto? From what I understand, I'd save at least 2-3 lac if I go with the latter.

Last edited by cool_dube : 9th January 2020 at 11:54.
Old 9th January 2020, 12:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

I was able to finally watch the video and the interview with the head honcho. He seems to have bought his own marketing, Jeep as a premium brand? Compared to what? They compete with much smaller vehicles on price in the US market. They have missed the wood for the trees, there is hardly any demand for a capable off roader. What people want is an easy step in height, good ground clearance and the SUV look, AT is the biggest upgrade they want. The Seltos, Hector and Creta fit the bill, the MG's boot should help it score some sales easily.

Those who want to go off road will get the variety of ladder frame options, Toyota fortuner (used) comes to mind, go anywhere and come back too. Compass needs a smaller diesel and a torque converter automatic as they have no plans of launching a smaller vehicle. A good way to check demand for 4x4 AT is to check used Fortuner listings, most are 4x2, this was the most popular vehicle of its class and Toyota consistently sold whatever they made.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 14:18   #38
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel AT BS6 coming in lower variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Did anyone see this video? Looks like jeep has a non trailhawk version of the compass, 4x4 AT. Not sure if it's the top end.
Guys i feel if Honda can price their dull CRV diesel with 1.6 IDTEC at 35l+ pricing , Jeep is Far more equipped .
Jeep will throw in some discounts at launch also . I feel Creta is and even Seltos is overpriced by 2 l for what it offers . Even Hyndai tuscon is way over priced . Keep the mean Germans aside like VW Tigiuan and Skoda Kodiaq .
Current Indian automobile portfolio for Luxury segment is way overpriced due to taxation policy and ever increasing greed of the manufacturer .
The only worries to Jeep Compass would be when Tata Harrier and MG hector launch a diesel auto with the same 2l multijet engine at an attractive price . Not to Forget the all new XUV500 in auto guise .
Top authorities at fiat commenting that Jeep is a premium brand and doesnt have 4 x 2 AT for now or near future is vague . Ford also sells 2.2l 4 x 2 AT Endeavours in decent numbers at maybe 30L onroad . Endeavour is way superior to puny JEEP compass .

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th January 2020 at 14:55. Reason: Removed video URL within quotes.
Old 9th January 2020, 14:47   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

So they deleted the low-range transfer case - as per autocarindia! But I read in Trailhawk review that it didn't have any low-range transfer case at all - it just had a very low ratio 1st gear to mimic the classic "low range transfer case". So what did they delete now?
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 17:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

I guess Trailhawks 2nd gear is equivalent to “non trailhawks” first.
Old 9th January 2020, 17:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would have keenly taken a look at a Limited Plus 4x4 variant priced around 26-27 lac, even to replace my less than 2 year old Honda City. But the way things are going, it appears to be in the 30 lac territory. It is pointless to keep a mechanically superior Trailhawk version so close to the Limited Plus 4x4. Ideally these could have been launched at the following price points 24 lac- Longitude 4x4, 27 lac -Limited Plus 4x4, and then the other manual variants get pushed down into the Seltos territory. And for gods sake, Jeep give us at least 6 airbags as standard.If you call yourself premium (official company line), we expect you to equip your cars commensurately.
The lower variants visavis the Seltos feels bare bones and if you want an automatic VFM Jeep you can try out the 1.4 T-Jet variant with the DDCT. But have heard it's a slouch and a guzzler so it's a double whammy. Better to have a look at the Seltos or even the Hector.
Old 9th January 2020, 17:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
it just had a very low ratio 1st gear to mimic the classic "low range transfer case". So what did they delete now?
Quote:
I guess Trailhawks 2nd gear is equivalent to “non trailhawks” first.
The so-called "experts" at autocarindia cannot tell their elbows from their knees when it comes to 4x4 technicalities. I reckon the gearbox would now no longer "hold" itself in 1st cog indefinitely as was the case with "rock mode" or "4x4 low" on the Trailhawk.

Last edited by cool_dube : 9th January 2020 at 17:27.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 20:56   #43
BHPian

Off course late. But, few days ago we had an interesting thread on ‘cars punching above their weight’. This might be one more example just like what Skoda Superb does to Mercedes E-class. This will be as capable as X3, Q3 or GLC at a lower price.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 22:13   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So they deleted the low-range transfer case - as per autocarindia! But I read in Trailhawk review that it didn't have any low-range transfer case at all - it just had a very low ratio 1st gear to mimic the classic "low range transfer case". So what did they delete now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
The so-called "experts" at autocarindia cannot tell their elbows from their knees when it comes to 4x4 technicalities. I reckon the gearbox would now no longer "hold" itself in 1st cog indefinitely as was the case with "rock mode" or "4x4 low" on the Trailhawk.
This is what I was curious to know. The international sites mention same gear ratios for Trailhawk and non Trailhawk variants where the Compass is sold.

However I wanted to know what use is the 1st gear in non Trailhawk variant if it doesn't have that rock mode and fancy electronics.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 06:26   #45
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass diesel AT to be offered in lower trims

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If anyone wants to know how to ruin a product, just talk to the Jeep India guys.
I waited for 2.5 years from 2017 for a jeep diesel automatic. Seltos and Creta diesel automatics did not impress me. Ended up buying a Seltos petrol DCT. I could have pushed till 26L if it was available in 2019.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks