Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2020, 19:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel AT BS6 coming in lower variants

The price list mentions ITR as one of the documents. Since when did this become compulsory for registering a car?
Old 17th January 2020, 23:04   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the price list from PPS/MPS Motors, Bangalore,

Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel AT BS6 coming in lower variants-price-list.jpg

And the display car,

Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel AT BS6 coming in lower variants-jcat.png

Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel AT BS6 coming in lower variants-jcat2.png
arun_josie is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 10:19   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Seltos 1.4 is a great buy under 20 lacs and offers more than Compass in that range. However there are customers who would never buy a Seltos over Jeep, and there are solid reasons behind them. Tank like build quality and confidence inspiring "Thud" from the doors should be sufficient for many.
100% agreed and you will see I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I kind of don't agree with the above. There are a few reasons and let me explain:

The Compass will never be able to match the Seltos when it comes to price. The buyer of a compass is different than one of the Seltos. A buyer who is looking for a set of driving characteristics and feel can never settle for the Seltos even if the features are more. After driving the Trailhawk and Seltos, I found it very difficult to convince myself for the Seltos. I ended up with a Kodiaq which was a huge jump but as mentioned by 46theDoctor, the Compass is overpriced for what it offers. The Seltos is 22L on road for top end diesel AT but the Trailhawk is 35L. The Compass is superior but not 13L superior. It should have been under 30L for this Trailhawk which would justify the premium over the Seltos, Harrier, Hector.

What the Compass offers is superior driving feel, solidity, depth of engineering, strong mechanicals. Some of these are not easy to describe on paper but more on feel. On a paper to paper comparison, the Compass will lose badly.
Quote:
1. Seltos is quicker to ton ( only by .5 sec), Compass is faster to 140. Jeep Compass is faster in kick - down acceleration too ( both 20-80 and 40-100). I agree initial punch is missing in Jeep Compass, however the mid range and top end is superior to Seltos. So, in City driving, I would agree that Seltos is a better performing car. However on a Highway, Compass is in a different league. It's ride, handling,suspension setup,steering feedback,etc are in different league.
I am assuming this data is from some magazine or such and not real world timing done by normal drivers. These specs are good on paper for Jeep compass but real world driving was quite different.

I didn't do a 0-100 but went purely by feel and how quick it felt. The gearbox was clearly a let down and the whole combo just never came close to the Seltos.

Also, the Compass petrol didn't even feel as good as diesel in terms or ride and handling vs the Diesel which felt far better. Don't really know why that was the case.

Quote:
2. Coming to - "ridiculously low FE". I am getting an avg of 9kmpl in Delhi NCR traffic. Delhi traffic is a great sample to check real life FE. 9kmpl can be low for some, but I would like to know how many Petrol turbo SUV's can better that.
This is really good FE you are getting. Bangalore folks report 6-7kmpl in normal traffic and can even go down to 5kmpl. Delhi is known to be better in traffic than Bangalore

Quote:
3. I am sorry, but the point you raised on DCT reliability needs to be evidenced. Can you please direct me to any thread/post/article/website which has any complaint on DCT used by Jeep. I did my research and did not found any. You also mentioned that Kia DCT is better. May be you would have seen an article on this. Request you to share that as well. I can share posts on Kia 1.4 GDI issues and there are many.
Here's one that is documented. Other than that, the dealer here also told me they are seeing complaints with Petrol DCT.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4490932 (Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review)

There are also quite a few in used car market and main reason atleast in bangalore is unhappy with mileage and gearbox.

Quote:
4. Well, I will agree to the point that gearbox feels hesitant in initial gears. However, the car is not lazy or lethargic if you are heavy on your foot. It is a smooth unit and is average in city. On Highway, you will not face any issues. Overtaking is super easy.
That's the whole point. You have to drive it aggressively and be heavy on the foot. Literally wring it by it's neck to get it to respond. It's just not responsive till you wring it.
Old 20th January 2020, 11:13   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
100% agreed and you will see I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts:

There are also quite a few in used car market and main reason atleast in bangalore is unhappy with mileage and gearbox.

That's the whole point. You have to drive it aggressively and be heavy on the foot. Literally wring it by it's neck to get it to respond. It's just not responsive till you wring it.
I would agree on the part that it is all about the feel. For me, it is sufficient and it might not be for some one else. Point accepted. I agree that you have to be heavy on your foot when you want to have the fun and that is something you learn gradually. You learn to modulate the accelerator pedal in a manner that suits your need. It is not a quick and swift starter and there goes the feel down the drain for most test drivers. You start comparing it with Seltos which has good low end oomph.

In a normal day, when you travel to office there is little scope for being adventurous. There is traffic around you and in our city we have speed cameras installed everywhere. I think you will not feel anything while just pottering in town. I agree, you will need to press the pedal to close the gap occasionally. But remember, it is an automatic so the stress level anyways is halved. I enjoy it in the traffic as well.

On a Highway, at 120 kmph, the tachometer is at 2200 rpm. Turbo kicks at 2400 rpm. It's just a matter of a slight right foot flex and it just flies. Top speed reported is more than 200 kmph. More than adequate for any scenario on Indian roads.

Seltos may be better in town, but on Highway it is no match. Period.

Coming back to handling of diesel vs petrol, Diesel is front heavy so it might have a better pliant ride. But, are you comparing Jeep Petrol ride with Seltos ? Everyone who has driven Seltos has agreed to the fact that it is bad and is unnecessarily firm.

Sir, Just one post from the master on DCT failure, can not construe it as more unreliable than Kia's. We don't know the exact case and how was the car driven. There is none, other than that anywhere on internet. ( At least, I have not seen ). I will not go far but there is an article on Kia's DCT problem and that too on Team BHP. Google and you will find scores on independent online websites as well with Kia DCT problems. Our friend Sandygordon can be reached and here you are suggesting that the gearbox on Compass is more unreliable than Seltos. Seriously!

My point is simple. Seltos 1.4 is a great buy no doubt. But, the build quality, ride and handling, safety and the feel good factor that you get in a Jeep compass limited plus is a level above Seltos. Any day.

It is all about taste. A pure leather upholstery cannot be compared with an art leather one. Jeep compass has pure leather and Seltos has art leather. The hard plastics, average commanding view, average road presence, absence of the most important SUV safety feature ( Rollover mitigation ) are just few of the reasons where Seltos lags behind. As a package if money is not a constraint, Jeep compass is a better buy than Seltos.

You would understand. It is same as comparing your Kodiak with a Jeep Compass. Two different segments you know.

P.S: I am not fully satisfied with my Jeep Compass as well, and since there is no ownership thread on Petrol auto, I plan to write one. A fair one!

Last edited by Sheel : 20th January 2020 at 11:20. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank You!
Roadster17 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 11:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here is the price list from PPS/MPS Motors, Bangalore
Interesting to note that extended warranty is not provided on both diesel ATs. Wonder why?

Also, now that the cat is out of the bag, what would be the case for someone to buy the Trailhawk over the Limited Plus 4x4 AT, given the savings of almost 4 lac?! Would the additional off-road prowess commanded by the former over the latter be worth the premium, given the negligible fraction of folks daring to take a 35 lac rs. car for rock crawling??

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th February 2020 at 12:00.
Old 25th February 2020, 11:54   #81
BHPian

Quote:
I would agree on the part that it is all about the feel. For me, it is sufficient and it might not be for some one else. Point accepted. I agree that you have to be heavy on your foot when you want to have the fun and that is something you learn gradually. You learn to modulate the accelerator pedal in a manner that suits your need. It is not a quick and swift starter and there goes the feel down the drain for most test drivers. You start comparing it with Seltos which has good low end oomph.

In a normal day, when you travel to office there is little scope for being adventurous. There is traffic around you and in our city we have speed cameras installed everywhere. I think you will not feel anything while just pottering in town. I agree, you will need to press the pedal to close the gap occasionally. But remember, it is an automatic so the stress level anyways is halved. I enjoy it in the traffic as well.

On a Highway, at 120 kmph, the tachometer is at 2200 rpm. Turbo kicks at 2400 rpm. It's just a matter of a slight right foot flex and it just flies. Top speed reported is more than 200 kmph. More than adequate for any scenario on Indian roads.

Seltos may be better in town, but on Highway it is no match. Period.
I completely agree. The Seltos does what Korean cars do best. Dazzle the average buyer with features, gimmicks and style. But under the hood, the car lacks quality. I took a test drive in the Seltos and the suspension felt worse than most taxis I have been in. It was shockingly bad. Not just that it was firm, but felt like an auto with those narrow wheels.
At the other end of the spectrum, first time I drove a Compass, I was pleasantly surprised, well beyond my expectations at how refined the entire experience was. The suspension feels incredible, the fit and finish was out of this world. I never felt the need for more power, even in the USA where I drove it.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th February 2020 at 11:58.
Old 25th February 2020, 14:40   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

BS6 Jeep Compass Variant Wise Prices Revealed:

Quote:
It’ll be offered with the existing 1.4-litre petrol and 2.0-litre Multijet diesel engine options, which are now BS6 compliant. Apart from the mechanical upgrades, the manufacturer has discontinued the Sport, Limited and Limited Option variants of the Compass. Prices for the base-spec Compass petrol are up by Rs 89,000 while you need to shelll out Rs 1 lakh more for the base-spec diesel.
Name:  12.PNG
Views: 4445
Size:  24.1 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th February 2020 at 14:42.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 14:59   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Compass has certainly moved up the price ladder at least a half segment higher. The launch price of the lowest Diesel Variant was 15.99 (Sport) and now it is 17.99 (Sport Plus). So, now the manual Diesel Compass starts where Seltos ends and where manual versions of Harrier and Hector also end.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 19:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

For last few months, Jeep sales are going towards south only. Surprisingly enough, they have taken bold move by launching at these increased prices, not sure what are they thinking. Fiat strategy for India is always weird, not sure what is the thought process behind their decisions.

New Harrier looks way better and value for money proposition now after seeing these prices by Jeep. All the best.
Old 25th February 2020, 19:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean that if you want six airbags, you must buy the version with the panoramic sunroof and all the gizmos?
Old 25th February 2020, 22:04   #86
BHPian

Arun_josie - thank you for sharing the price list.

Folks - why is the Road Tax 20% of the ex-show room price!? I don't recollect this being the case anywhere else. Also, insurance is super-high, right?

Edit - Checked at the following link - https://www.tesz.in/tools/road-tax-calculator-karnataka

Road tax comes to 273766. Which means, there's 34,000Rs markup. Hmm...

I also checked Insurance quotes just out of curiosity. A 1 year zero dep is running about 35k or so for a new Jeep base model.

Wonder where they are getting these numbers from.

Last edited by Mad Max : 25th February 2020 at 22:11.
Old 25th February 2020, 22:08   #87
BHPian

This is really good FE you are getting. Bangalore folks report 6-7kmpl in normal traffic and can even go down to 5kmpl. Delhi is known to be better in traffic than Bangalore

Well. My Compass Petrol AT completed it's first thousand kms, 90% in bumper to bumper Bangalore city traffic. My average mileage shown is 8.6 km/L.

It is no spring chicken, but I have not felt let down on power at no juncture so far (including spirited drives on airport road) and am coming from a Skoda 1.6 TDi, before this.

DCT : early days yet, will comment few thousand kms later. So far, pretty happy about the effortless driving & handling in city that the AT and the vehicle, offers.
anoop cheeran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 22:42   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Interesting to note that extended warranty is not provided on both diesel ATs. Wonder why?
Here is the updated price list with extended warranty details,

Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel AT BS6 coming in lower variants-price-list.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 11:13   #89
BHPian

I wish the Longitude Diesel AT came with 6 airbags. Would have been the ideal car at that price point. My only reason of considering other cars for an urban SUV is the airbags. Also don't feel the other higher trims are worth the price.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 12:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I wish the Longitude Diesel AT came with 6 airbags. Would have been the ideal car at that price point. My only reason of considering other cars for an urban SUV is the airbags. Also don't feel the other higher trims are worth the price.
Could not agree more! FCA continues to push the envelope with their pricing for the Compass, even with monthly volumes which are nothing to write home about and ever-intensifying competition. Not sure what are they up to.

Other than no. of airbags, what else does Longitude miss out on, versus the Limited Plus?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks