Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 10:45   #196
BANNED

Re: Long stay car parking @ Indian airports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Short answer: Nope.

But if you're open to "jugaad" and a bit of walking, you could give your car to the valet at the nearby hotels (JW Marriot for Terminal 2 / Taj Santacruz for Terminal 1) and pick it up on your return.
Is that possible? I mean, if I have a plan to fly out of Mumbai, let's say on Friday and be back on Monday, those hotels' valet would happy to accommodate my car for that long?
For the benefits of poor souls like me, can you kindly elaborate the process and cost etc.? Of course, if you are allowed to do so.
Old 7th February 2019, 14:05   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
if I have a plan to fly out of Mumbai, let's say on Friday and be back on Monday, those hotels' valet would happy to accommodate my car for that long?
You are not using the hotel parking space as long-stay parking zone. You are "creatively" using the hotel parking space pretending to be a guest at the hotel. Hence the jugaad.

I know people who do this with Leela Palace's parking area when visiting Manipal Hospital in Bangalore (whose parking charges are apparently exorbitant). Here it is easier because there is also the shopping area in front of the hotel, but I guess otherwise the security/valets at the hotel can make out who's a guest, who's a guest's visitor, who's going to the restaurant/bar and who's misusing the parking area.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 14:41   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Is that possible? I mean, if I have a plan to fly out of Mumbai, let's say on Friday and be back on Monday, those hotels' valet would happy to accommodate my car for that long?
For the benefits of poor souls like me, can you kindly elaborate the process and cost etc.? Of course, if you are allowed to do so.
I am pretty sure this won't be possible (it is not a right thing to do as well). Your car could land in police station as an abandoned vehicle.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 15:04   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
I am pretty sure this won't be possible (it is not a right thing to do as well). Your car could land in police station as an abandoned vehicle.
Agree. In these days of increased security (that too in Mumbai!), I would really avoid this option. For example, I know that in Delhi 7* hotels, ALL vehicles left overnight are reviewed and checked with hotel logs to confirm they are 'valid' ones. 'Suspect' ones are treated with great caution, can be checked for bombs etc and even towed away.

Please do think carefully on such matters.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 16:47   #200
BHPian

Quote:
@PetrolRider, haha - no buddy. It's not officially allowed - hence I said jugaad. Feel free to PM me any other questions though.

On a serious note, if you do need a car - then just check in with Revv car. Unlike Zoomcar they allow different pick up and drop off points for their cars. So, on Friday - you can book a car from your place to the airport and on Monday - you book another car from the airport to your place. Revv will handle picking up the cars from the respective drop off points.

I usually do this when flying to Hyderabad and Bengaluru, where the airports are really far from the city.

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 7th February 2019 at 16:51.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 16:53   #201
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You are not using the hotel parking space as long-stay parking zone. You are "creatively" using the hotel parking space pretending to be a guest at the hotel. Hence the jugaad.

Phew, I thought the "Jugaad" would mean some kind of parallel business of those valets involving hotel parking place. This is outright cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Thanks for bursting the bubble even before it started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
if you do need a car - then just check in with Revv car.
Sorry mate for misunderstanding your pointer. True, I can think in line of using services of zoom/revv etc. Only deterrent in doing so is the pathetic conditions of their cars in Pune.

On a side note, Mumbai airport has enough parking space in both T1 and T2. They can easily convert one floor in T2 or some area in T1 parking as long term parking. I suppose, there will be queue of cars even for a premium. It is still out of my gasp, what is stopping them.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 7th February 2019 at 17:07.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 16:56   #202
BHPian

Quote:
On a side note, Mumbai airport has enough parking space in both T1 and T2. They can easily convert one floor in T2 or some area in T1 parking as long term parking. I suppose, there will be queue of cars even for a premium. It is still out of my gasp, what is stopping them.
They do have long term parking facility however it is not well managed and quite expensive. If you call the airport and ask for long term parking facility they will provide you a mobile number to call on. Very unprofessional of them.

Then the guy on call will quote per day cost which is something like INR 1200-1500 per day. Don't recall exactly. Plus he talks in a way that doesn't inspire confidence.

You can try calling the airport and check the current rates.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 11:34   #203
BHPian

This is a recent incident at IGIA, Delhi. Park and Fly Facility.

Woman's Car Tyres Stolen From Delhi Airport's T3, Official Compares Security Breach To Pulwama!

SOURCE

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th March 2019 at 14:34. Reason: Fixing source link. Not working due to *** in link :) Replacing with another source
Old 12th March 2019, 09:08   #204
BHPian

Bangalore long term parking starts with 500 rs on day one and followed by 300 rs every day . For this price one can use a taxi service
Old 12th March 2019, 09:56   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Bangalore long term parking starts with 500 rs on day one and followed by 300 rs every day . For this price one can use a taxi service
Yes, only if you stay near the airport. I stay in JP Nagar and one way taxi ride costs me 1.1k. Consider both ways and long term parking works out way cheaper!
Old 12th March 2019, 10:11   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Yes, only if you stay near the airport. I stay in JP Nagar and one way taxi ride costs me 1.1k. Consider both ways and long term parking works out way cheaper!
I live 30 minutes from KIAL & travel on work at least once a week, and even then find it cheaper and more convenient to use the LTCP. Reason is that our office insists on company cabs which charges 1.6k one way regardless of pick-up/drop location, so my breakeven point is ~7 days (500 + 7x400 = 3300).

A major upside for me is that I prefer getting into my own vehicle instead of being greeted by the 'Chanel sleeping driver' aroma as I always return at unearthly hours (between 0100 & 0300).

Downside is the threat of damage although I have never faced in 12 years of parking - I take care to park well away from the taxi zones. Another issue is the exposed parking lots made much worse in the last 16 months by the heavy dust from the New South Parallel Runway (NSPR) and T2 construction. The prevailing winds from the former site come straight over the parking areas in KIAL :-(
Old 12th March 2019, 17:29   #207
BHPian

Delhi airport's Park n Fly is not as safe as it should have been for airport standards. In a recent news a woman came back to find her car with wheels stolen. This type of incidents were seen before in illegal/remote parking spaces but its surprising for the parking lot of capital city's airport.

From news:
This Delhi woman faced the worst of it after deciding to use the long stay parking service called Park N Fly at T3 terminal Delhi.

But to her horror, Renu Mehta came back to a car with no tyres! Fuming after what she witnessed, she posted the shameful incident on Facebook.

According to her post, the thief was identified to be an Uber driver. 'Footage the person first came and checked and left the parking lot after few minutes he came with a stone to use it as support while removing the tyres,' writes Mehta.

Link https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/...ma-363186.html
Old 20th August 2019, 23:45   #208
Team-BHP Support

I parked my car on Friday (16-August) and picked it up today (20-August) at the Hyderabad Airport.
Total of 4 days and 1 hour.

The bill was Rs 750/-

I don't know how its calculated and the computer generated bill does not explain it that well either. Could not ask the guy at the gate as there was a lot of traffic behind me.

However there is an interesting loophole.
If you claim your ticket is lost then you have to pay only Rs 350. No idea how they will figure out or prove that the car actually owes a lot more than that.
Old 21st August 2019, 00:08   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Do any of the airports (say Bangalore) provide long term parking for bikes? I'm pretty sure a good % of the staff would be using bikes (if not public transport), wondering if it would be as safe (as it can be) as for cars for bikes too.

Edit: This link shows P1 parking area for 2 wheelers at 20Rs per 4 hours; with no long term rates (as it is given for cars). If extended; the daily rate becomes 120Rs for bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If you claim your ticket is lost then you have to pay only Rs 350. No idea how they will figure out or prove that the car actually owes a lot more than that.
The Bangalore airport seems to have that loophole covered (in principle) - an additional fixed amount + "actual parking charges"!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st August 2019 at 00:15.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 08:04   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In Bangalore an individual notes down your number in a physical register at the time of entry into the parking area (where the machine issues you the ticket). If you claim you have lost the ticket, then you need to answer the question WHEN you parked, and based on your response the register is checked, actual parking charges is calculated and to that is added the Rs. 500 "lost ticket charge".

Plus the whole process takes considerable amount of time. The one time I (genuinely) lost the ticket, it took me ~1.5 hours to take my car out of the parking lot.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks