Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Long stay car parking @ Indian airports?

Do any of the Indian airports have long stay car parking facilities !! Imagine the amount of money saved on taxi bills if we had such a facility..

Almost every other international/domestic airports around the world have this facility.. except in India :(.. We are like this only...

It can be a private initative as well if private individuals/companies are allowed to own and build parking facilities near airports. Given the kind of volume we have at airports, sure to be a money spinner..
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Do any of the Indian airports have long stay car parking facilities !! Imagine the amount of money saved on taxi bills if we had such a facility..
Bangalore airport definitely has full day parking. But I guess, you were implying multi day parking. Not sure about that.
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Delhi Airport has overnight parking n multi day parking.....Last time i saw i think it was some Rs 250 for 24 hrs parking.....

But its becoming hard to get a parking space in there these days
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

My companies car is parked on the local airport in Pune every Friday evening and is gotten back every Monday morning since the person resides in Delhi and commutes every weekend to Delhi. I am not sure of how much parking charges he pays.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd March 2007 at 12:59.
Old 2nd March 2007, 13:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Being India, there are inherent risks attached to leaving your car at the Airport for long stay parkings.....more so if the attendants notice that you are in the habit of leaving it there regularly. I've heard of cases where accessories were stolen, paint was chipped/scratched, an odd tyre stolen as well. That's why I've never taken the risk
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2007, 13:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

I see plenty of cars parked at sahar airport[Mumbai] parking lot ,completely covered with dust,tyres missing, in some cases the engine too seems missing,the seats are all ripped apart ,stereo and things like that all appear stolen.Now I am not sure if they are long time parked vehicles or confiscated vehicles or what.

As suman says it is quite dangerous to leave a car unattended for long at public places and the best bet would be to ask a friend to pick/drop you or even hire a temporary driver who would do the needful for the money you would spend on parking.
rahul_intlad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2007, 13:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore Airport does have multi-day parking, not sure how many are aware of it. Their fine print absolves the authorities of any responsibity towards the car's safety tho

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd March 2007 at 13:43.
theMAG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2007, 13:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
I see plenty of cars parked at sahar airport[Mumbai] parking lot ,completely covered with dust,tyres missing, in some cases the engine too seems missing,the seats are all ripped apart ,stereo and things like that all appear stolen.Now I am not sure if they are long time parked vehicles or confiscated vehicles or what..
erm.. Thats not what I had in mind ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
As suman says it is quite dangerous to leave a car unattended for long at public places and the best bet would be to ask a friend to pick/drop you or even hire a temporary driver who would do the needful for the money you would spend on parking.
Yes. The point is that if there is such a facility, it should be demarcated from the general parking space and additional secuirty needs to be provided so as to ensure that the car is reasonably secure. Next step would be a provision of covered parking.
spadival is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2007, 15:17   #9
Joz
BHPian

Bangalore aiport does have this. Have used it a couple of times. I think it was Rs. 300 for the whole day.
Old 2nd March 2007, 15:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

I park my car at Mumbai domestic airport whenever I fly out, usually for the day (return in the evening) or at most 2-3 days. In Mumbai, charges are Rs 60 for every 4 hours, i.e. Rs 360 for every 24-hour period - this is cheaper than the taxi fare that I would incur to reach the airport, breakeven being 2 days!

There is no concept of long-term parking, but many do what I do at Mumbai. Expensive no doubt, would appreciate a special rate for long-term parking (maybe up to 3 days).
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2007, 16:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

First, lets get enough short term parking spaces in our cities. What with the advent of the 1 lakh automobile.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2007, 17:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

An airport drop from my home to Pune airport costs atleast Rs 350, that too in a stinking non-ac Indica. So I'll be spending Rs 700 for the 2 way pickup and drop.

esteem_lover - You are talking about a different unrelated problem, for which unfortunately, there is no solution !!
Old 2nd March 2007, 17:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Do any of the Indian airports have long stay car parking facilities !! Imagine the amount of money saved on taxi bills if we had such a facility.
Even if we have similar facility in India, it may not be that cost effective - because the charge of parking will be quite high. Most probably, cost of riding taxi to/from airport will be cheaper (at least for those who actually live in the metro cities).

I personally feel, taking own car to airport (when the airport is quite far away from your home) is risky. If car breaks down on road, in the worse case, you may even miss flight!
sbasak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2007, 15:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys, don't know if any of you saw this in the Sunday TOI, this is exactly the reason why I would not leave my car there for long stays.....

IGI attendants take parked car for joyride
Old 13th March 2007, 15:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Cochin International Airport Limited has had this facility for quite some time and its absolutely safe. I've used this facility for 3-4 days outstation trips before, and you can even pay the chaps at the guard house a small amount of money for which they will clean your car (unofficially, of course).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks