Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2018, 22:57   #181
BHPian

Re: Long stay car parking @ Indian airports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Much better to invest in public transport given the eco factor and convenience!
Thanks mate!

I don't travel much, but last time I hired a taxi from NYC to Newark Liberty, I paid close to $300, it's crazy right. May be that's the logic to use own transport and park at airports to offset the cost.

But how about here in India. Suppose I want to go to Chennai for a week, I take a taxi rather than park my car at the airport. That's what I would think.

Since the cost to taxi is low here, why would anyone want to park their car for a week and pay exorbitant amount as a fee. I still fail to understand the logic

Last edited by doxinboy : 7th November 2018 at 22:58.
Old 8th November 2018, 01:51   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Since the cost to taxi is low here, why would anyone want to park their car for a week and pay exorbitant amount as a fee. I still fail to understand the logic
I stay in Hyderabad and it costs me about Rs:1500/- one way to the airport. Which is Rs:3,000/- for a round trip. Last time, I had to travel to Delhi for a couple of days, I parked my car at the airport for full 2 days. I paid Rs:500/- as parking charges. Even if I include fuel costs, it is lesser than what I paid for parking at the airport.
More than 3-4 days, I am not sure if it would work out that economical. I think it is just more convenient that you have a car ready and waiting when you are back.
get2bid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 07:18   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Your basic assumption here is that the cost of cab will always be cheaper than the parking charges. Maybe it will be if you are staying in vicinity to the airport.

But what about people who travel 200-300km to catch a flight from the nearest airport?

The Delhi airport is around 50kms from my place, on top of it there are commercial vehicle charges on entering Delhi and when leaving the airport.

Park and fly charges for 4 days breaks-even the cab costs.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 08:04   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post

But what about people who travel 200-300km to catch a flight from the nearest airport?

The Delhi airport is around 50kms from my place, on top of it there are commercial vehicle charges on entering Delhi and when leaving the airport.
Cab costs are definitely low in India, regardless of distance. A 50 km ride incluing tolls and airport charges, by any cab, would not exceed Rs 1000. Contrast that with a city like London, where such a ride would cost you as much as GBP 60, or roughly 6 times as much, and the reason for long-stay parking there is clear.
Old 8th November 2018, 09:52   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would anyone park their car for over a week at Airports?
I can give you a first-hand perspective, albeit a bit aged. Between '11 and '12 for about a year I was aerocommuting - ie, living in Bangalore and working in Mumbai. I'd fly out to Mumbai on alternate Mondays morning (a 6 AM flight, to reach office bright and early at 9 AM) and return same week Fridays evening (8 PM flight, reaching home at about midnight).

I'd drive my car to KIAL and park; the total parking charge was Rs. 1100 (300 for the first day + 200 x 4 days). On top of this there was fuel cost. The expense was comparable to the two-way cab fare.

The most important benefit was the perceived safety. That was the time when a few cases of overworked cabbies rear-ending buses and trucks, passengers dying etc. were reported on NH7. The car itself (airbags, seatbelts, tyres...), its maintenance, alertness of the driver, speed etc. were all to my satisfaction and under my control.

The second was predictability. I have to leave home at 4.30 AM and my flat is a bit away from the main road. VV stop was about 4 km from home; so if a cab I booked chose not to honour then I was totally helpless. Since I traveled with little spare time even a short diesel/bio/tea break by the driver would tend to upset my schedule.

The third was availability, especially on my return. You have to see the cab rank queue at KIAL on Friday evenings to believe it. 30-45 minute waits were the norm.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 11:51   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

The most important benefit was the perceived safety.

The second was predictability.

The third was availability, especially on my return. You have to see the cab rank queue at KIAL on Friday evenings to believe it. 30-45 minute waits were the norm.
Brilliantly captured, thank you!
Let me add a minor but sometimes crucial upside if your personal vehicle has FASTag. The toll queues at the BLR airport exit will make your weep if you have bad luck. I came back from BOM last Friday on a Jet flight which was 2 hours late. Ultimately landed at KIAL at 0130, strolled to my car and was home in 1 hour flat. I did notice unusually long queues at the toll booth but went through in 20 seconds using my trusty FASTag.

My colleague reached the toll booth maybe 15 minutes later in our company cab and spent 40 minutes just crossing the booth. He called me next morning and was amazed that I sailed through as it seems many flights had landed late asking with our flight, and there was a massive spike in the vehicles leaving KIAL.

So, dependability, security, convenience and also time taken are my major upsides which is why I rarely use even our office cab service.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 12:33   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Let me add a minor but sometimes crucial upside if your personal vehicle has FASTag.
Yeah, that too. I didn't include that (or the toll cost) because during the time I aerocommuted the toll collection at Devanahalli wasn't active (in fact, the elevated road was only under construction).
Old 9th November 2018, 11:56   #188
BANNED

afaik no airport in India has any long term parks. So even if you are going for a day or couple you are in a bind. I must add that with the lower costs of cabs (esp Uber and Ola) this is not a big issue so far.
Old 9th November 2018, 14:14   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
afaik no airport in India has any long term parks.
Didn't quite understand. Are you saying the discussion here is about something that doesn't exist?
Old 9th November 2018, 15:35   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore Airport has a separate parking area if one wants to keep his/her car for long term (more than a day). I had once kept my car for 2 days since the Uber fare from my place was about 2200 (to and fro). Parking for 2 days was about 1000.
Old 9th November 2018, 16:34   #191
BANNED

@ayankm; Good information and news to me. Lucknow does not have it, and I think nor does the IGIA Delhi. Maybe I am wrong there. Remember Lucknow is now an international airport with quite a few International flights as well. There are plans to expand it to two levels, with an elevated road from the NH25.
Old 9th November 2018, 16:46   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To:

Quote:
Lucknow does not have it, and I think nor does the IGIA Delhi.
That's quite a come-down. :-)

Also see: https://www.newdelhiairport.in/book-a-park-n-fly.aspx

Quote:
Remember Lucknow is now an international airport with quite a few International flights as well.
I reckon most of the old AAI airports don't have dedicated long-term parking space. The new greenfield/redeveloped airports have it where space permits. Some of the airports revamped by AAI has it too (MAA). Even my hometown's airport (CCJ) claims availability of long-term parking on their website.
Old 9th November 2018, 17:35   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
To:
That's quite a come-down. :-)

Quote:
@ayankm; Good information and news to me. ...Maybe I am wrong there.
All the metros as well as some of the Tier-1 cities (e.g. https://www.puneairport.com/parking.php - 300Rs per day) do have and offer long term parking, although the monetary charges for all cities might not really make the situation worth it. Plus with the internal lobbying and the power the taxi unions have at the airport, I doubt the charges structure will change in the near future.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 9th November 2018 at 17:56.
Old 5th February 2019, 16:46   #194
BANNED

Guys, any update on Mumbai airport?

It is really astonishing that even small and basic airports like Pune etc. providing long term parking option that Mumbai lacks. A long term parking is definitely needed at Mumbai considering number of people traveling between Pune - Mumbai airport route.
Old 6th February 2019, 17:01   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Guys, any update on Mumbai airport?

It is really astonishing that even small and basic airports like Pune etc. providing long term parking option that Mumbai lacks. A long term parking is definitely needed at Mumbai considering number of people traveling between Pune - Mumbai airport route.
Short answer: Nope.

But if you're open to "jugaad" and a bit of walking, you could give your car to the valet at the nearby hotels (JW Marriot for Terminal 2 / Taj Santacruz for Terminal 1) and pick it up on your return.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks