Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2007, 20:16   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
[IMG]
I might get flamed for this. But i dont think it is that bad.

Actually, the stepney cover is pretty neat & novel.
Well, i beg to differ..

If you look at the picture above? The height of the Bonnet is probably at the same level as that of the Amby adjacent. But the height of the body is quite high. This is not what you expect from an MUV. There needs to be some adherence to proportions and aesthetics, which is sorely missing. One-sideways look at the vehicle and you wouldn't want to look at it again.

My guess that that was always the case, but the side hinges, probably hid that feeling. (IMHO the Armada was quite a looker..)

Have they increased the height of the cabin or is it still the same as the older Bolero??

Manish
Old 30th March 2007, 22:51   #62
BHPian

actually, the bonnet of the bolero is higher than that of the amby. it is the awkward angle here that is misleading. one tends to look at the rib running along the side of the bolero with the top of the "fin" over the amby's rear lights.

also, the vehicle is not really a tall-boy. it actually seems to sit much "squatter" (lord, is that even a word) than the scorpio.

i think its the door size / design / styling that give that oddly proportioned look. what say ??
Old 30th March 2007, 23:12   #63
BHPian

so sad they killed the looks guys,dissapointing change.
Old 31st March 2007, 08:18   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..the interiors definitely look built to a price, but then what a price !!
.. Should be ok if M&M has also priced the vehicle proportionately.
Quote:
one thing i noticed was that the gear shift was quite close to the dash. i wonder if it will be uncomfortable arm-position wise on long drives, having to constantly reach that far to shift.
The gear lever was already close to the dash .. and getting the cd's out from the player was tricky. And you say that now the lever is further up against the dash ?!
Old 31st March 2007, 09:26   #65
BHPian

One thing is definitely true, the old bolero is much better looking. Once i had a couple of american clients whom i was taking around hyderabad. They all really liked the odd design of bolero so much. Infact they all said that the hinge design was simply too cool. i am surprised why so many people (incl M&M) dont like the hinge design.

The bolero is a good workhorse which can be trashed and still it would maintain its integrity. For the price this can be a good toy to play with. Some cosmetic changes i have done,

Last edited by chaxy : 31st March 2007 at 09:32.
Old 31st March 2007, 12:00   #66
BHPian

New bolero looks better
Old 1st April 2007, 23:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

The hinges need not have been concealed, they had a certain charm. But i cannot agree with man23ish's comments about the height which has not changed even a small degree from its previous avatar. How else can you make a jeep ? it needs a good high cabin & the bolero is not the mean looking SUV, it is a performer without the looks. If someone wants mean looks, they should get the endeavour. No sir, the bolero is not for you. And people, please dont even compare this to the Sumo. cough cough cough. LOL
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:23   #68
Senior - BHPian

for meaner look a good set of alloys work wonder.....
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:28   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
I thought Euro standard is only for emission norms.
Yeah E-III (or BS-III) is emmission norm... however govt. has made it compulsory now for new cars to have headlight levelling devices. So you get all E-III vehicles with this attachment (nothing to do with E-III as per se).

This device is helpful when your vehicle is loaded and hence the lowbeam tends to go a little higher due to the load at the back. Although I wonder how practical that is considering that in India everybody cocks a snook at the law and drives on high beam even in the cities.
Old 2nd April 2007, 18:53   #70
BHPian

correction to my earlier post above...

it doesn't look like they have moved the CDP higher.
Old 2nd April 2007, 23:42   #71
BHPian

Indian car companies suffer from a lack of design discipline at the top (of their heap of mediocre warriors). One would have thought that after the Scorp experience M&M would only be getting much better. Somehow their designers seem to be caught in a time warp. This looks 1997. Not 2007. They're losing the jeep feel, and could have done some much more, without too much more investment, rather than making it look like a slapped on job.

Some photoshop expert has been working overtime to get their gallery all done up. The view was almost awesome, but they refused to take out the bolero

Influenced no doubt by the other big-daddy of soft-family-SUV's - Landrover.

M&M would have instead done well to borrow some styling cues and maybe even proportions (to whatever extent they can change them), from the LR2 (the new Freelander)

Or from the guys who set them off on the Jeep path to start with (AMC/Jeep then, now Chrysler). I dont like the new American SUV's though. They're looking soft in the middle.
Old 4th April 2007, 22:16   #72
BHPian

oh man !!! when will indian manufacturers design vehicles like the 2 above beauties ????

do these designers not see other vehicles before they start their photoshopping / designing ????
Old 5th April 2007, 06:38   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The hinges need not have been concealed, they had a certain charm.
Well, The Hinge cover is just a flimsy plastic and I guess it can be easly removed to get original look.
Old 5th April 2007, 08:32   #74
BHPian

How much will it cost Mahindra to make Bolero a decent and proportionate looking MUV. They can borrow a lot from the Scorpio.
I had a lot of respect for the old Bolero because I thought that they would improve on it but this is disappointment.
Old 5th April 2007, 12:23   #75
BHPian

when i looked at it really long and hard, i got the feeling that they have mainly gone overboard with the front bumper design. If they had reined that in a little bit, i guess most people wouldn't be so disappointed with the looks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks