Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 21:59   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs

Maybe I'm missing something here but aren't we going a little overboard with regards to acceleration and 0-100 sprints, et al? Come on guys, we are talking about an SUV/truck here and not a performance sedan or sports car, right? Aren't these trucks all about relaxed cruising for days on end or taming that broken track to the yonder as opposed to scorching the tarmac?

Last edited by cool_dube : 9th March 2020 at 22:02.
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 01:03   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
The not so good:
1. AdBlue or Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) tank doesn’t seem to have any protection and positioning seems susceptible to damage.
Just curious to know few things on Ad blue. Can someone help with this

1. what would be the consumption of Ad blue for every let's say 100 kms?
2.What's its tank capacity and would it last long enough for the top up to be done at the scheduled service interval ?
3.What's the per litre cost of Ad blue? Shouldn't we factor in this too while figuring out the basic running cost of the car.
4.Would the car fail to start if one fails to top it up once it goes empty or near empty.Since it's injected into the exhaust system and not into engine guess it wouldn't. Am thinking from the point of view of the need to keep Ad blue handy during very long trips as it may not be available for retail purchase

thank you
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 01:15   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post

2.What's its tank capacity and would it last long enough for the top up to be done at the scheduled service interval ?
3.What's the per litre cost of Ad blue? Shouldn't we factor in this too while figuring out the basic running cost of the car.
4.Would the car fail to start if one fails to top it up once it goes empty or near empty.Since it's injected into the exhaust system and not into engine guess it wouldn't. Am thinking from the point of view of the need to keep Ad blue handy during very long trips as it may not be available for retail purchase

thank you
1. Depends on driving conditions. You use more ad blue in city vs highway driving. Generally anywhere between 5000-8000kms

2. Tank could be 15 litres or more

3. No idea as yet.

4. If you don’t refill adblue, the car won’t start. If you were allowed to drive without adblue, 90% wouldn’t bother to refill.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 10:11   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
From where did you find this information? I think 2.0 is made in Thailand and South Africa only.
The latest Autocar India has the road test of this model. It is mentioned in there.
Old 11th March 2020, 21:54   #110
BHPian

Quote:

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) range is listed as 3000-10000 Kms while Trailer towing / aggressive or city driving, 10000–14000 kms for Normal Driving and 14000–18000 kms for Steady Highway Driving with additional caveat of variations due to weather, altitude and idle time. The vehicle I had driven in Jaisalmer had covered close to 1800 Kms and the AdBlue range was showing 2500 Kms most likely due to off-roading.
Quote:
Endeavour has a DEF tank capacity of 18L.
Quote:
Tata DEF sold at many highway fuel stations costs around Rs. 40 per liter in a 20L pack.
Quote:
Clear warnings about No engine start in xxxx Kms would be displayed when DEF level goes low. With tank empty, the Engine will not start. Minimum refill required to regain Engine starting is 5L.

On a separate note - DEF equipped vehicles might pose additional issue of DEF freezing in cold temperature below -11 degC affecting Engine starting.
A.G. is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 11:36   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) range is listed as 3000-10000 Kms while Trailer towing / aggressive or city driving, 10000–14000 kms for Normal Driving and 14000–18000 kms for Steady Highway Driving with additional caveat of variations due to weather, altitude and idle time. The vehicle I had driven in Jaisalmer had covered close to 1800 Kms and the AdBlue range was showing 2500 Kms most likely due to off-roading.

Thank you AG for the detailed reply. One quick clarification. These ranges that you indicated are for what tank capacity? (rate of consumption )

For Endeavour I understand you've mentioned it for 18 litres tank capacity.

Also it's safe to reckon that it should not be quite the distance(kms) that's considered instead the number of hours the car has logged ( engine run time )
Old 12th March 2020, 19:37   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you AG for the detailed reply. One quick clarification. These ranges that you indicated are for what tank capacity? (rate of consumption )
Data mentioned is for the Endeavour 2.0L only (except Tata DEF price)
Quote:
Also it's safe to reckon that it should not be quite the distance(kms) that's considered instead the number of hours the car has logged ( engine run time )
DEF usage will depend on a number of factors and it will be hard to find a direct relation between it's consumption and distance or engine run time or both. Since other BS6 vehicles with DEF have been on sale in India for quite sometime now, I am sure their owners can share the real world experience on this.
A.G. is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 01:15   #113
BHPian

Quote:

Tata DEF sold at many highway fuel stations costs around Rs. 40 per liter in a 20L pack.
Wow. When I enquired about this, my sales executive had mentioned that DEF will last for approx 10,000 KMS for 2.0, and it would cost 6000 INR for a 18 liter top up. Looking at the retail price you mentioned, I have a feeling that probably that is how Ford is planning to recover the BS6 conversion charges from customers
Old 13th March 2020, 10:22   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Wow. When I enquired about this, my sales executive had mentioned that DEF will last for approx 10,000 KMS for 2.0, and it would cost 6000 INR for a 18 liter top up. Looking at the retail price you mentioned, I have a feeling that probably that is how Ford is planning to recover the BS6 conversion charges from customers
I think going to the company service center for DEF is like going there for windshield washer refills. I think owners should watch out if the sensors for DEF are working, don't have much faith in Ford sensors from my experience.

Off topic, fiat service used to charge 65 for windshield washer fluid, my cost otherwise was 300 for nearly 2 years and 10 refills.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 10:16   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I vaguely remember the official cost for AdBlue at Ford Service center being even less than Rs. 30 per liter - not sure if it was with out without GST.
A.G. is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 13:46   #116
BHPian

Went to a Ford Showroom to test drive the new BS6 Ecosport for a friend of mine. When I discuss with the Head of the Showroom. The discussion was ranging from JV between Ford & Mahindra to everything.

Amidst this he quoted that "Although Ford only released 2L version for Endeavour for now, they will introduce the 3.2L version in future". Can someone verify this? Did someone have any information about this?
Old 14th March 2020, 14:10   #117
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
Amidst this he quoted that "Although Ford only released 2L version for Endeavour for now, they will introduce the 3.2L version in future". Can someone verify this? Did someone have any information about this?
To the best of my knowledge the single and bi-turbo 2 Ltr (panther) is the replacement for the 2.2 and 3.2 Ltr (puma) Diesel engines for platforms such as the Ranger/Everest/Endevour and the Transit globally.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 14:20   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
To the best of my knowledge the single and bi-turbo 2 Ltr (panther) is the replacement for the 2.2 and 3.2 Ltr (puma) Diesel engines for platforms such as the Ranger/Everest/Endevour and the Transit globally.
So I hope the bi-turbo 2L may hit indian shore in future? 2L on an Endeavour doesn't feel good.
Old 14th March 2020, 18:28   #119
BHPian

I test drove the 3.2 a year or two ago and got my hands on the 2.0 10 speed Ford Endeavour yesterday.

Truth be told. I found the old 3.2 to be quite a confused gearbox. It used to struggle to pick up pace whenever you put your foot down (in city traffic of course). The engine used to rev a lot and after a substantial pause, the car used to pick up pace.

The case with the new 2.0 is quite different. You put your foot down and it drops a bunch of gears to give you an instant surge. A surge adequate enough to inspire confidence on the roads.

I was pretty eager to get my hands on one, however, Ford isn't offering any discount currently and 36 on road (Delhi) seems quite a lot for the base model. Otherwise, this seems like a pretty decent package for an SUV.
rahul_jo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 00:03   #120
BHPian

Looks like I'm quite a bit late to the party - BHPians roby_dk and A.G. have already posted their experiences with the new 2.0+10speed avatar of the venerable Endeavour post the Ford Owners' drive event in Jaisalmer. Now that I seem to have temporarily overcome my almost inevitable urge to balk at the very prospect of writing, for what it's worth, here's my take coupled with a few indirect addressals of what seem like FAQs from this thread.

This review is based on 2 sand courses (~ 2km + ~4km) + a ~80km highway drive. Additionally, I've put 46.5k kms on the clock of my own 3.2 in 18 months (including 3 trips to the Thar's dunes) + I drove to the event and bashed some dunes in my 3.2 on the same morning of the 2.0+10speed drive event. Belt-up! This is going to be a long 'un...

*10R80/10 speed and 6R80/6 speed are used interchangably.
*Apologies for inadvertent errors.
*I think I might create the need for an "assembly line" section for posts as well.
*This post needs the smiley so many times I'll be over the limit by 50x if I pick and choose where to use it. Just imagine it wherever you like.

The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs-1.jpg
About an hour after entering Rajasthan - any excuse for a road trip!

Let me put a disclaimer in the TeamBHP spirit - the difference being that I'm putting it before my review: Ford hosted us for the event. That in no way affects the following views.

On a not-at-all side-note: IMHO a truly "family wali feeling" gesture from Ford India - so sincere in fact that perhaps gesture isn't the right word at all - there are a whole bunch of cynical perspectives that may be employed by jaundiced eyes - but the fact is that it was a truly special experience. Two things really stood out to me:
  1. Ford bothered to invite a bunch of owners most of whom have, let's face it, bought their big margin product very recently (majority owners were those of 2018/19 models), and don't really give them much exposure either. Online presence is frankly quite limited - no real Facebook page, just an insular Telegram group the real value of which is only to existing owners. Very few are BHPians, and some like me barely use other social media. Point being - it was obviously not an exercise in goodwill based word of mouth marketing either. So I have no hesitation in calling this an event without an underlying agenda. Rare from a corporate.
  2. The unflinchingly forthcoming and extremely enthusiastic way we were encouraged - nay, positively egged on - to push the vehicles on a course that was far, far above typical manufacturer set media drive joke tracks - really underlined their commitment to the near impossible tagline Ford India are playing Albatross with (Rime of the Ancient Mariner, anyone?).

Anyhoo... To reiterate - all that goes right out the window as I type my views on the vehicle itself.
Also, all photographs that are not mine have been used with permission.

So straight off, let's put paid to the burning questions with the TL;DR version:

Q1. Is it still the most plush and capable choice for a sensible expedition vehicle in India? The undisputed segment best?
A1. HELL YES! And still by a country mile. More comfortable than before actually - the new suspension setup is at times jealousy inducing even for me (the not-so-latent angry kid that grudgingly bought an SUV because of Indian road conditions prefers the older setup).

Q2. Will the 3.2 be missed?
A2. Only if you're an enthusiast with a yearning for an old-school drive feel. Lots of intangibles expressed (to the best of my ability) in the next section - read on.

Q3. What about off-road capability?
A3. No-brainer - in fact, it's actually better thanks to the 10 speed. Why is it a no-brainer? Older, heavier, and (for now) more legendary cars (Y61 Patrol, say) crossed landscapes and conquered obstacles across continents just fine for years with similar power and much lower torque. The list of limiting factors in off-road capability hasn't included engine power for years (not counting the 90hp Safari).
But do I hear you say "Come on fanboy - you've got to be kidding when you say it's better because of the 10 speed"? Well, exactly like the old 6R80 in my 3.2, the new gearbox doesn't upshift once a gear is manually selected - no matter what. So that basic is covered. But the realm of power-delivery smoothening benefits via faster shifts and more ratios is where the off-road magic occurs. I'm no rallyist, but I like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to expedition-demanded off-roading (and quite a bit of unnecessary cheeky nonsense off the road as well). At any rate, I have the kilometres for it.

Q4. Will it sell?
A4. Probably like CRAZY. We enthusiasts here on TeamBHP have long complained of "love the cars, don't like the sales approach" (those familiar with my many posts across threads bashing Freestyle/Figo/Ecosport variants will understand just how high my BP spiked in just typing this sentence) - this time I think Ford have gone and addressed exactly what the mass market wants - rather than being caught in the sale-sapping halfway house of alienating enthusiasts, but not bowing to average consumer stupidity enough. Frankly the only thing benighted fanboys of the "reliable and indestructible" competition (and salesmen) have left to desperately point towards is the engine size - but for every Compass, Harrier and Tucson with a 2.0, there's a Kodiaq, GLE and about a 1000 Land Rovers with one.

The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs-2.jpg
Whenever I see the Endeavour dressed in its Smart Casual ("Diffused Silver") and Party ("Sunset Red") get-ups, I invariably get the most ephemeral pang about picking a naked Black Bear.

In a probably futile attempt at brevity, let me try to go pointwise in order to hopefully avoid rambling too much:
  1. Gearbox - First off, let's clear up one thing - I haven't met anyone who likes the 6R80 other than me - I really like it (I think it suits the character of the truck and my own "drive AT like MT most of the time" driving style), most complain that it is dim-witted and far from the nicest feature of the car (legitimately so, I suppose). I don't drive it in manual/tiptronic mode - I use my right foot + D/S switching as the gear change mechanism 90% of the time. For the other 10%, I love the "backwards" forward to downshift and backwards upshift Ford has in the 6R80 (an anachronism and therefore very intuitive for manual lovers). So some things I say might not apply to most, but the minutiae about the 10R80 are still applicable. Basically, if you aren't an idiot like me who wants a manual experience with an AT just because that's what you're used to and think that's what a car should feel like, the best thing to do is let the gearbox do its thing and you'll be very happy with the seamless experience. In automatic mode, it's like a CVT in the best way possible - smooth - but without any of the rubberband effect. The only thing missing is paddles and no one but me could possibly complain after the addition of paddles. Also, with paddles, it'd actually be fun to shift on your own as well - best of both worlds.
    All in all a solid performer and a highlight of the new avatar.
    The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs-3.jpg

Let me elaborate:
    1. Engine Braking: Let me explain why I'm starting with this point under the gearbox section. I'm an absolute fanatic about engine braking - unnervingly so at times (don't ask). For reference, the first set of brake pads changed in my rear-biased TC AT 2.5 tonne SUV was at 45.5k (that too was down to cracking; ~20% thickness remained).
      Now, the good bit is that with 10 ratios not only do you get quicker initiation of engine braking, but you also have more granular control over the extent of engine braking. If I were to put it very roughly, in terms of drive feel, every ratio on the 6R80 corresponds to two ratios on the 10R80. The negative is in the initiation and execution of further engine braking. In the old 6R80, you simply tipped the gear-stick towards you to go into S and drop a cog - an exceedingly simple and satisfying motion. With the new gearbox, PRNDS are all in one line - so not only are you dealing with a rather large-knobbed gearstick (no innuendo intended) with the new design (I have difficulty even though my hands are on the giant side), but you have you got to press the shifter button and move it into S backwards. Which is irritating enough on its own, but there's more.
      Now, since there are more ratios and they're packed closer together, you get a quicker downshift once you lift off the throttle and fight it into S (as opposed to simply tip it). Which is great. This would normally take longer in the 6 speed - or sometimes even a tap on the brake. But, once you did get the downshift on the 6 speed, you got two ratios worth of engine braking in terms of the 10 speed. So not only is initiation harder, you need to do more complicated hand/finger motions to get more engine braking - and, given the only manual shift method Ford has provided is a tiny button on the driver's side of the shifter (more on this later), this is rather a task and a half. I know this sounds like nitpicking beyond nitpicking and one could argue that this is simply a matter of getting used to the new setup, but this is an objective irritant. Engine braking lovers will love how cooperative the 6R80 gearstick was for the same. Move on to the next step in engine braking and the 10R80 really shines - again because of the higher ratios. While the 6R80 arguably wins on the first downshift (first 2 for the 10 speed), the second downshift (3rd and sometimes 4th for the 10 speed) is no contest - the 10R80 is faster and smoother because it has an intermediate ratio. With the 6 speed, you're unlikely to get the second downshift unless you've predictively applied engine braking well in advance - and if you apply manually, you get a lot of noise since you're very high in the rev range. Command the 10R80 for another downshift and you get the absolute perfect intermediate (3rd) downshift.
      I know this could easily seem like a load of utter tripe, but those who get it will get it. All in all, engine braking is a tie - even though the 10R80 should win hands down.

The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs-4.jpg
    2. Manual Control: As I've already established above, I really like the controls on the 6R80 - unlike the 10R80. But let me get into the positives before getting into the only real negative of the 10 speed (lack of paddle shifters). There are now 2 manual modes. In the 6 speed you enter tiptronic mode the first time you manually shift after going into S (and, as noted previously, no matter what, the car won't upshift of its own accord after that). When you shift manually in S, the 10R80 does the same - tiptronic without possibility of automatic upshift. But in D, it behaves like an old-school D1, D2, D3 style control - just that it goes up to D9. Another detail here is that the display for the same has been added as a column to the previously criminally under-utilised LHS MID.
      So what's it like to actually "row" (actually poke) through this slush-box manually? Well, it isn't exactly a modern ZF, but is simultaneously a world (or three) ahead of the 6R80. It just goes "bam!" at very commanded shift! Even without this being a GT/hot-hatch platform, it would be seriously fun to have paddles on this - i.e., they're needed even from an FTD perspective in addition to the myriad ergonomic perspectives I've highlighted above. Frankly a disappointing miss from Ford.

3. General Operation, "Intelligent Skip Shift" et. al.: As I've had occasion to comment previously, this is simultaneously a very clever and smooth transmission. The ratios are pretty well thought out. It's smooth like a CVT under sedate driving but is obviously never artificial (duh! it's the real thing after all) - the biggest plus is, put your foot down and it behaves like a real gear box - the non-sequential capabilities of this gearbox really shine there. Mash the throttle and it drops a whole bunch of gears, lift off aggressively and you'll see upskips as well. Very satisfying. Not to mention that the even the smaller 2.0 sits at a sleepy ~1450RPM whereas the 3.2 is at a relatively frantic (though actually relaxed) ~1850RPM at the 100kph mark.
      Lastly, my biggest gripe with the Endeavour right from 2019 - they deleted the PRNDS LED indicator. Using my second allowed smiley here - Really, really, really DUMB! Forget the "irrelevance of the money saved" argument - it's an ergonomic miss. One often can't see it on the instrument cluster (a common, flawed argument) when one most needs it - in parking situations with a locked steering wheel obscuring the view to the IPC.
    The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs-5.jpg
    They really shouldn't have put a black badge here - should've just written 10 speed like old times (omitting engine size like in all their marketing material).

2. Engine - The on-paper bone of contention, but is probably what will turn the tide on sales charts and bestow segment leadership on the Endeavour.

Few observations from a commercial perspective:
    1. Based on my overall experience, "even in this segment", Indian masses are concerned with fuel costs. An extra 1k INR a month on fuel somehow greatly pinches someone with 4 million INR to spend.
    2. Likewise, I see posts from enthusiasts here constantly speaking of the irrelevance of a couple of lakhs "at this price point if they were in it" - which simply doesn't measure up to reality. Every lakh off sticker price matters here.
    3. Listening to vocal minorities with niche interests doesn't help the bottom line.
    4. Internationally (here comes the correct version of an oft-made, grossly incorrect statement by Endeavour fanboys/owners), the Endeavour, is positioned halfway between the Fortuner and Prado (as opposed to the ludicrous notion that the Fortuner is somehow a full segment lower internationally). A case could be made though that the 2.2 was positioned vis a vis the Fortuner, and the 3.2 vis a vis the Prado.
    5. Which all builds up to the point that I feel the 2.0 single-turbo is a smart move by Ford for a market where, to put it baldly, an extremely miserly mentality prevails.
    6. Point 4 notwithstanding, Ford has pretty much been selling the real thing in India at a price lower than a competitor half a segment below. Time for them to earn some fat margins as well, I suppose.
    7. Massive upgrade for 2.2 owners, no two ways about it (commenting as someone who's driven both 2.2AT 4x2 and 2.2MT 4x4)
    8. Time will tell how this plays out in the real world - the Endeavour has a good following in the market now, and the only thing that could possibly stop numbers of a version with 2-4 kmpl more fuel efficiency is stigma around the engine size, if any.
    9. As noted previously, apart from me most seem to find the 3.2/6R80 combo struggles at slow speeds. That was probably the biggest turn off in test drives - I found it a fairly disconcerting myself in my own test drive when I was entirely new to the gearbox and its nature.
    10. That should be completely gone now. Moreover, even most enthusiasts will not be able to appreciate how a 5 cylinder "feels" and will prefer the more balanced (and initially quieter and smoother) nature of a 4 cylinder.
    11. Continuing on the "first impression is the last impression" theme - most test drive scenarios (not to mention use cases) are city based. The 2.0 outperforms the 3.2 there unless a driver knows how to work with the lazy 6R80 and relaxed 3.2.
    Mechanical Observations. Enthusiasts Awaken:
    1. To borrow TeamBHP terminology, the 2.0 isn't a "fast highway express".
    2. Make no mistake - there's going to be no trouble executing overtakes at legal speeds.
    3. But, this doesn't feel "special" - in stark contrast to the 3.2. Again, borrowing pithy observations from TeamBHP - anyone paying over "x" big ones should buy a car that feels "special".
    4. But that "x" is forever rising with an increasing emphasis demanded by consumers on non-mechanical aspects of cars. Most should be more than satisfied - especially if they aren't enthusiasts.
    5. As someone who's racked up a lot of km with 3 cylinder engines (in addition to 4 cylinder engines), I can instantly feel the difference in smoothness, NVH and power delivery borne out of the confusing mix of ups and downs accorded on this comparo by each parameter - engine size, cylinder number, tuning and gearing. As stated even most enthusiasts may not be able to pin all this down just right and will perceive it just like the masses. The biggest give away would be the standard diesel engine sound off-roaders are so familiar with - the underlying muscle car-like growl is gone.
    6. Engine is quieter at lower revs, and is happier to rev up.
    7. Other than the fact that power delivery is more linear (good thing for refinement) with no sudden poke (depends how you look at it), there are no 2 ways about it - the special shove of the 3.2 violently throwing you once it concedes it's time to get a move on is missed.
    8. From around 80 kph, even though there's a substantial difference in feel, even the 2.0 is keeping up.
    9. 100-120 kph, you can tell the sleeping monster under the hood is no longer threatening to wake up and wreak havoc.
    10. Above 120 kph, TeamBHP doesn't go, and my comments dissipate into ether.
    11. Clearly, this brings us back to the fact that the average buyer is not going to miss much in the real world.
    12. Best way to put it is, the TeamBHP reviews sums up the difference between the 2.2 and 3.2 as being majorly above 120kph IIRC - the overall difference even smaller here.
  3. Off-Road, AdBlu & Other Points -
    1. As stated previously, there are very few areas where, after a certain threshold, power/torque is the limiting factor in conquering off-road obstacles (honestly, the only difference is, you have to press the throttle a little deeper in certain scenarios - big deal). Traction Control and Terrain Management Systems still work as brilliantly as before - the Endeavour remains an off-roader that can make an idiot feel like a pro - a point and shoot, if you will. So I'll stick to highlighting just how the 10 speed optimises power delivery for better off-road capability.
      As was the case with engine braking, there's more granular control. This time though, the difference is - there are just no down sides. You can be at almost exactly the perfect speed and revs given the demands of any obstacle. It's just that simple. Additionally, in the rare cases when an upshift is required, not only do you get a quicker shift, you also get a closer ratio - i.e. less of a shock. Smoothness is everything off-road.
    2. The suspension on the Endeavour was first updated in 2019 with the facelift. The anti-roll bar was re-positioned from roughly ahead of the front discs to behind the rear discs. It was also made beefier. Simultaneously, the dampers were softened. This had the magical effect of less body roll along with a more pleasing slow speed ride than before as well. But this apparent win-win does have a cost - namely reduced off-road articulation.
      In the 2020 Endeavour, the same setup as the 2019 has been retained, just that the damping has been made faster - as a result of which both on-road comfort and manners have improved. Less jiggle and bounce without loss of softness. But, off-road, on the sandy course, you could really feel this loss of articulation with the suspension being worked to its limit as the car was blasted through deep sandy ruts - I felt markedly more shock in the cabin than in pre-2019 models.
      All in all, both the 2019 and 2020 setups are a touch more road-biased. Out of the 2, I'd pick the 2020 suspension. But at higher speeds on rough roads, the 2016-2018 suspension remains my top pick. I'm probably operating at a needlessly minute level of nitpicking right now - but the differences are clear to me.
    3. AdBlu (less evocative name for Urea) isn't anywhere near as much of an issue as it seems to be made out here. Every manufacturer is doing it - every car will drink more of it when pushed hard just like fuel. And its dirt cheap - less than 50 INR a litre. Cheap enough to not be an issue, and easy enough to fill and carry around. Our highly stressed car showed ~4700 km worth of AdBlue remaining at ~1800 km on the odometer. It's just a small extra step as we move in to the world of BSVI and deserves no second thought.
    4. Headlamps are upgraded. I could see it from a cosmetic standpoint but since I drive so rarely at night, I can't comment on how functional the upgrade is. All I can say is, most owners are crazy about lights on the 2020 Endeavour and in my book, it's high praise that they are planning "upgrades" to the new stock lamps instead of the aftermarket solutions they're constantly raving about (I'm still on stock and all the LED/HB3 etc etc is Greek and Latin to me).
    5. Hard to tell how much of the increase in refinement at lower speeds is due to the engine/gearbox and which bit due to the claimed incorporation of more sound deadening material.

Prior to driving, I had my share of preconceived notions. Even before the single-turbo was announced, I was already lamenting the loss of 1200 cc and a cylinder. What I now feel is that while new ICE powertrains might not be up my street, just like electric cars, it's a question of holding on to what we're used to - we love to talk about intangibles like "character" and "feel", and don't get me wrong, they're really important. Besides, "character" or imperfection is beautiful - but I'm starting to feel that there's certainly an element of just us holding on to the comfort of familiarity in there as well.

The way I see it, the strategy is something along the lines of:
  • Get the numbers on the sales charts with the lower prices of the current top-end model.
  • In case enthusiasts want more, get the Ranger Raptor - they certainly won't mind a pick-up, while still keeping the aam janta concerned with "top modal" bragging rights happy.
  • If that doesn't work, as long as they've gained the momentum they wanted, they can always get a halo variant with the bi-turbo.

P.S. - The 3.2, even though Euro VI and latest Australian emissions compliant isn't coming back (have heard a lot of uninformed chatter on this across multiple threads ever since the second half of 2018).

Finally, the 2 biggest takeaways from my perspective are:
1. With the sales charts on fire, I should be assured of spares for longer (and cheaper with economies of scale).
2. I no longer need to pretend that my ownership review is "pending" - it'd be irrelevant with the 3.2 gone. Jokes apart - this post should tell you why there isn't one. This is what I've generated with less than a full day's driving - even I don't have the kind of free time that an ownership review with my penchant for irrelevant detail would entail.

Cheers!

Last edited by Mu009 : 16th March 2020 at 00:07. Reason: As you might expect - CORRECTIONS!
Mu009 is offline   (33) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks