Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 17:11   #121
BHPian

Re: The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs

After spending almost equal time, I am astonished that you have reviewed the Endeavour 2.0 so minutely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Well, exactly like the old 6R80 in my 3.2, the new gearbox doesn't upshift once a gear is manually selected - no matter what.
Good to know that your 6R80 equipped Endeavour also does not execute an upshift automatically even if redlined when a gear is manually selected in S mode using +/- (just like mine). I vaguely remember hearing someone claim otherwise.
Quote:
Whenever I see the Endeavour dressed in its Smart Casual ("Diffused Silver") and Party ("Sunset Red") get-ups, I invariably get the most ephemeral pang about picking a naked Black Bear.
Would love to hear the nomenclature on other colours namely Moondust Silver (someone used to call it a Utensil), Diamond White, Golden Bronze & Smoke Grey.
Quote:
All in all, engine braking is a tie - even though the 10R80 should win hands down.
While the 10R80 when compared with the 6R80 in isolation may offer more engine braking, I believe the combo of 3.2/6R80 will offer more engine braking than 2.0/10R80.

Since you are into expeditions, what are your thoughts on a solution enabling AdBlue / DEF tank of 18L as a supplement for fuel tank in our BSIV vehicles?

Last edited by A.G. : 17th March 2020 at 17:19.
A.G. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:36   #122
BHPian

Re: The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs

Excellent Write up @Mu009. I am surprised how you remembered the minutest of the details. After reading your account I was trying to recollect my experience of driving the humble beast. Looks like another number cruncher from the ford stable. Phir bhi yeh dil maange more.
Funda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 21:34   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
Good to know that your 6R80 equipped Endeavour also does not execute an upshift automatically even if redlined when a gear is manually selected in S mode using +/- (just like mine). I vaguely remember hearing someone claim otherwise.
Of course it doesn't. Even the TeamBHP official review will tell you the same. Take a look:
The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs-annotation-20200318-210123.jpg

All I can say is, please advise the affected owner to take their Endeavour to Ford ASC right away. Since the issue is likely not repeatable (or anything more than a figment of the imagination), best to make a video of the problem as proof for the ASC as well.

Quote:
Would love to hear the nomenclature on other colours namely Moondust Silver (someone used to call it a Utensil), Diamond White, Golden Bronze & Smoke Grey.
As the old adage goes - "if you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all" - don't want to be banned.

Quote:
While the 10R80 when compared with the 6R80 in isolation may offer more engine braking, I believe the combo of 3.2/6R80 will offer more engine braking than 2.0/10R80.
You're quite right sir - I did not articulate myself properly on that one (which is honestly shameful given the number of words employed).

My point at the end referred exclusively to how engine braking should be a more pleasurable experience with more ratios to play with. That's what I meant by "win" - as opposed to outright magnitude (decrease in velocity per second ceteris paribus).

From a technical standpoint, of course a 3.2 will have more engine braking than a 2.0, and a comparison without factoring in differences along the entire driveline combination wouldn't make much sense.

Quote:
Since you are into expeditions, what are your thoughts on a solution enabling AdBlue / DEF tank of 18L as a supplement for fuel tank in our BSIV vehicles?
Interesting idea. Long range tanks are available abroad and one is high on my wish-list of mods. This might turn out to be an even more elegant solution to an aftermarket mod. I should try asking around about this. Doubt local ASC would have any knowledge though.
Thanks for the idea though!
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 23:35   #124

Among our fellow BHPians we have some of the most erudite and tech savvy autombile enthusiasts in the country. My query is for all those who have the experience of remapping diesel ECUs and in particular the Ford Endeavour, somewhat on the lines of what Ace F355 has done with his Endeavour 2.2 MT 4x4 aka Lal Ghoda.
Would a similar remap of the BS6 Ford endeavour Single Turbo 10 AT bring up its power and torque to values somewhat at par with those of the Bi Turbo 10 AT Ford Everest? And would a remapping like this have any adverse effects/ place undue strain on the engine and other mechanical parts considering the fact that both these engines are essentailly the same with the only exceptions being the state of tune and single/ bi turbo.
As an aside, even if you remap a car like the new Ford Endeavour but tend to drive with a light foot, keeping those reserves of enhanced power/ torque only for certain manoeuvres or ocassional spirited driving, does that have a sparing effect on the engine? Vis a vis the engine in a similar car with a more aggressive driver who wants to exploit the full potential of a remapped ECU.
Do excuse my naivety for asking such questions.
Old 25th March 2020, 16:17   #125
BHPian

Mod Note: Our Endeavour 2.0 Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:
My point at the end referred exclusively to how engine braking should be a more pleasurable experience with more ratios to play with.
With closely packed ratios, the 10R80 might offer smoother engine braking if it doesn't skip gears. But if real rate of deceleration is concerned, the 10R80 won't be able to build enough resistance by raising the engine RPMs unless it drops two or even three gears at once. Have a look at the ratios of 10R80 compared to 6R80 (placed at suitable location for easier reading)

The BS6 Ford Endeavour with new 2.0L diesel engine, now launched at 29.55 lakhs-gb.jpg

Doing some math with these ratios and an axle ratio of 3.55 for 2.0L/10R80 and 3.73 for 3.2L/6R80 (keeping speed and tyre size as same) one can very well see the resulting RPMs are quite less in former to offer decent engine braking unless it skips some gears altogether.

These gear ratios make the best use of the available torque, especially off-road - no wonder the RPM drop was quite less (rather right back in the torque band) even when the gearbox upshifted in the middle of a climb.

Quote:
Interesting idea. Long range tanks are available abroad and one is high on my wish-list of mods.
Looking forward to it's implementation from you.

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2020 at 12:55. Reason: Link to review :)
A.G. is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks