Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2020, 18:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Land Cruiser & Prado withdrawn from Indian market

It appears, Toyota has withdrawn both, LC 200 and Prado from our market. This must be due to Euro 6 norms. It will be interesting to see if they launch LC200 in Petrol later or leave this for Lexus. LC200 was doing about 100-120 in a Year and they might get same numbers with LX. Frankly, customers who were buying a Toyota at 1,5 Cr won’t crib much picking LX at 2,2 Cr.

Prado may come back with 2,8 ltr engine but going by the prices and the volumes it does, better they don’t bother relaunch unless they can do this as CKD and make it around 65-75 Lac.

Missing from the webpage now- https://www.toyotabharat.com/

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th January 2020 at 18:46.
Turbanator is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 20:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Land Cruiser & Prado withdrawn from Indian market

Now that was an unexpected casualty.

The Prado, less said the better. Too expensive with an older engine than its much cheaper sibling (Fortuner). Anyway was just an 'official import model' and sales were negligible.

But the Landcruiser... Especially in the last three-four years, had found favour amongst the extreme rich businessmen and celebrities, atleast in Kerala. Almost like a beater car, a number of celebrities held onto their LC, even if fancier Europeans came and went.

Can't argue. The decade old 1VD-FTV had been designed for euro4 standards, and is available only in select markets, most of which don't have strong emission standards. The sales volume of the Landcruiser in India may not warrant the euro6 change.

More so when the current gen Landcruiser is in its last years ( that none has seen the next gen testing is another matter )

In fact, if you discount the BMW diesels, other than the GD engines in the IMV platform, Toyota hasn't even bothered to develop a new diesel engine in the past 10-12 years.
Maybe the GD engines will be the last Toyota ones before everything goes petrol/hybrid in the Toyota stable.

Though, if Toyota thinks the Prado/ LC200 sales will be transferred to Lexus...wish them luck.
DicKy is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 22:20   #3
BHPian

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser & Prado withdrawn from Indian market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
... leave this for Lexus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
... if Toyota thinks the ... LC200 sales will be transferred to Lexus...
Seems to be the plan.

The Lexus LX 570 is expected to fill the role in its BS6 guise.

But as Toyota plans are well guarded than that of other manufacturers, there is no sure way of knowing things unless they officially confirm it.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 08:14   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good riddance, I'll say. Both were terribly old & outdated, obscenely overpriced and had no place in a dynamic market like India. I'm glad their sales were pitiful. Other than Toyota's website, no one is going to miss these two cars.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 10:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good riddance, I'll say. Both were terribly old & outdated, obscenely overpriced and had no place in a dynamic market like India. I'm glad their sales were pitiful. Other than Toyota's website, no one is going to miss these two cars.
sounds like sour grapes for toyota managing to screw up pricing by selling only CBU imports for these 2 models. The TLC if maintained well will outlast its owner. Sadly Indians were never even given a fair chance to own these beasts
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 10:59   #6
BHPian

Haha, LC200 in petrol? The diesel already had low mileage, the petrol will have even more atrocious mileage. You'll need to buy a house near a petrol pump for that. I don't think it'll ever reach the shores of India as a petrol variant.

Last edited by SaiSW : 13th January 2020 at 11:03.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 14:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Landcruiser... Especially in the last three-four years, had found favour amongst the extreme rich businessmen and celebrities, atleast in Kerala. Almost like a beater car.
Same here in North. Many people just swear by the comfort and the kind of image it carries. For unknowns, it's just another variant of Fortuner and those who are aware, give the intended respect.

Quote:
More so when the current gen Landcruiser is in its last years ( that none has seen the next gen testing is another matter )
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
, LC200 in petrol?
So we are not going to get Petrol LC and they are routing enquiries to Lexus. However, the Brand new one is definitely on way as 2021 MY.

Quote:
The diesel already had low mileage, the petrol will have even more atrocious mileage.
Well, the Diesel is actually quite efficient. I regularly get about 7-8 Kmpl in city and 9 Kmpl on highways when driven in speed limits. It's actually comparable to Endeavour 3,2 even though it has an 8 Cylinder Diesel. Petrol ones are equally good on highways as it gets 8-speed gearbox. Anyone spending 2 Cr + on these things will hardly be bothered with Rs 6000- 8000 on a tank full in any case.

Toyota should have invested in India on the localisation of LC Prado. They could have easily done 50-100 Units per month at 60 -70 Lac in my opinion. But I guess they are happy with other markets and don't bother much about India.
Turbanator is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 17:45   #8
BHPian

Try to understand ,Toyota wants to create space for Innova and Fortuner to push it to that price bracket in future. Am I right Toyota?
Storm2.0 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 15:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

For Global Markets the next Toyota Land Cruiser to arrive August 2020.

The 3.5 L V6 hybrid/CVT to replace 4.6 L V8.

The new entry will be a 3.5 litre V6 hybrid engine which produces 299 PS at 6,600 rpm and 356 Nm of torque at 5,100 rpm.

The stated output figures for the hybrid V6 could be for the combustion engine alone.
Quote:
the next Land Cruiser driveline will adopt the Multi Stage Hybrid System, which is Lexus’ combination of a traditional hybrid continuously variable transmission (CVT) and a four-speed automatic gearbox. In the case of the next Land Cruiser, this will be mated with full-time 4WD
Details for the one-size-down Land Cruiser Prado successor have yet to be revealed.

Linl

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th January 2020 at 15:11.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 19:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good riddance, I'll say. Both were terribly old & outdated, obscenely overpriced and had no place in a dynamic market like India.

The silliest thing is that they offered the 1CR + SUV with the previous generation Fortuner power train. 3.0 D4D with 5-Speed. I don't think they ever planned to sell any of these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks