Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2007, 18:23   #1
BHPian

Ford's SMALL CAR for India???

Hey,

Ford is currently developing a small car for the BRIC(Brazil, Russia, India, China) nations. The spy pics are from Brazil of the new small car being tested. The car codenamed B402 is said to be placed between Ka and Fiesta in Brazil and a sedan version, codenamed B409, is also expected by 2008. This car could well be Ford's small car for India......

Some say this might be the new KA but this week's Auto Express has got the pictures of the new KA which looks different.

Thanks
redcandle
Old 2nd March 2007, 19:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks very contemporary. Might its design cues be inspired by the Golf ? Assuming the above pics are indeed the Ford small car, count on wizened Ford India to price it right and they have a winner

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd March 2007 at 19:19.
Old 2nd March 2007, 19:52   #3
BHPian

I really hope something like this is what comes to India......
Old 2nd March 2007, 22:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

If this is true, then I have no doubt that this is based on the Mar V fiesta (Ikon) Platform. Its quite logical though for them to use the Ikon platform. This is definitely the latest Fiesta platformed car (the door, wheel arches the bonnet proportions points Ikon-ish
Old 2nd March 2007, 23:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
If this is true, then I have no doubt that this is based on the Mar V fiesta (Ikon) Platform. Its quite logical though for them to use the Ikon platform. This is definitely the latest Fiesta platformed car (the door, wheel arches the bonnet proportions points Ikon-ish
I second that thought. It seems to be based more on the Ikon platform than the current Fiesta. IMO the new Fiesta hatch should be a more appropriate car for India than the old one.
Old 5th March 2007, 11:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Is it just my feeling, or does this car look small to compete in the Alto category? If thats the case, i dont think there would be many takers, considering Maruti's dominance in that segment.
Old 5th March 2007, 11:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Is it just my feeling, or does this car look small to compete in the Alto category? If thats the case, i dont think there would be many takers, considering Maruti's dominance in that segment.
i think it will be around 4 lakhs range, so swift category and if the punto is launched by then, so it is also a potential competitor. and if ford comes out with high end versions,( i think the pricing might be crucial, as flair is less than 5lakhs) it might get competition from skoda laura. and oh!!!, getz also comming with new models.
Old 5th March 2007, 11:49   #8
BHPian

Where the heck is the rear door. If this is what they intend to bring to India, then this will be the first car in the hatch back category atleast to feature such an arrangement. Will be enough to stand out from the rest of the competition.
Fords are known to be drivers cars, and if this one handles like its Sedan siblings, you never know what it might do to Fords sales in India.
Exciting times ahead.
Old 5th March 2007, 12:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
Where the heck is the rear door.
India will get the 4-doored version. The 2 doored versions are for typically European markets.
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is ford's small car called the KA and may just make it's way here as well off-course a five seater version here with 4 doors.

Image taken from:
channel4.com

Image from Ford UK

here's the ford uk link:
Ford :: Ka :: 'Ka fun' site

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 2nd July 2007 at 20:54.
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

The KA is quite an old car now & I think it's due for replacement very soon in Europe. I don't see it making it to India especially since it's an old platform & would struggle in face of the latest hatches from Honda/Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota etc.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
.. I don't see it making it to India especially since it's an old platform ..

Yup. It was also a car specifically designed for women. The rather low ratio of women drivers in India should also seal its fate if Ford India were loopy enough to go down that route
Old 3rd July 2007, 00:01   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
Where the heck is the rear door. If this is what they intend to bring to India, then this will be the first car in the hatch back category atleast to feature such an arrangement.
Nope. That honour goes to the erstwhile Zen from the Maruti stable. Zen Carbon and Zen Steel featured the three door arrangement (two passenger doors and a hatch).
Old 3rd July 2007, 00:08   #14
BHPian

If it is given a 1.4 tdci engine it will rock.
Old 3rd July 2007, 00:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Actually the first 2-door hatch was the Sipani Dolphin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks