Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:04   #31
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster prices slashed by upto Rs. 1.5 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Interesting to see much of hatred towards an enthusiasts car, especially from an enthusiasts community. The magic carpet ride and super-solid handling is nothing less than an engineering masterpiece that others were not able to get right even after 10 years the Duster came in to the international market.

Having two in the garage, a 85ps variant and AWD (touchwood, with 2.2 lac plus combined mileage), let me tell you from my personal experience that there's nothing more satisfying than going from point A to point B in utmost comfort; the highly engaging driving experience is an icing on the cake. I also own a super reliable new Maruti Swift (a 2 star tin can with 9 lac price tag) that has left me and my wife stranded on the road due to AMT failure. I had a reliable Hyundai Accent (a fuel guzzler with silly road manners and power only on papers) that had clutch failures multiple times and needed front shock replacements twice, before I got rid of it after tolerating it for 80,000 km.

In the 85ps guise, Duster is easily as reliable as any of the Japanese. We've seen a few cases of injector failures of 110ps in the forum. But for a car that sold well over 2 lac units (not including the cousin, Terrano) , do we have a statistically significant number to call it so unreliable ?
Well said. The issues are blown out of proportion. My AWD has done 63k and never let me down. Its rattlefree and drives like new. The magic carpet ride is bonus.
C300 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 18:57   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Ageing model, no surprise. Some fading and ageing actors begin their resurrection with lesser dresses and so this is not new. Fading Western pop stars release their "Greatest Hits" albums to get back into the pop charts.

And car makers slash prices of dated models ! Not sure whether all these marketing strategies help.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th January 2020 at 19:04.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 10:15   #33
BHPian

The AWD also gets a substantial price drop and was offered to me with almost 1.2lac off the sticker price that too over the phone. I had already dropped the AWD from my list of potential candidates long ago. The reason for dropping it was that it aged and not as gracefully as say a Gypsy would have.
Old 12th February 2020, 15:33   #34
BHPian

To the experts. I have been trying hard to find a pre-facelift AWD(4x4) stock but none of them in Hyderabad have it.
While browsing through olx for a low mileage AWD I stumbled upon this demo car that's done 25 K 2017 model (un-registered). Price quoted is exhorbitant 12 Lakhs.

Want the experts to guide on what could be a best price for this one and is it even worth it. I am not interested in the new model at all.

https://www.olx.in/item/renault-dust...iid-1557207651
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 21:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Ageing model, no surprise. Some fading and ageing actors begin their resurrection with lesser dresses and so this is not new. Fading Western pop stars release their "Greatest Hits" albums to get back into the pop charts.

And car makers slash prices of dated models ! Not sure whether all these marketing strategies help.
Maybe and perhaps, but the undeniable fact still remains that this is one design that got it right in terms of ride quality, ruggedness, with seating comfort for four, and reasonable luggage space. Its essentially a 2nd World Car that's in its space in our Desh, for the right reasons. Kindly read about its designer and its origins and why it was a best seller in several countries for so many years.

I can vouch for a fact that my 2012 vintage Duster is still going strong. Its fallacious to dismiss a good automotive design with some analogy to fading music stars!
Rigid Rotor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 08:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
To the experts. I have been trying hard to find a pre-facelift AWD(4x4) stock but none of them in Hyderabad have it.
While browsing through olx for a low mileage AWD I stumbled upon this demo car that's done 25 K 2017 model (un-registered). Price quoted is exhorbitant 12 Lakhs.

Want the experts to guide on what could be a best price for this one and is it even worth it. I am not interested in the new model at all.
Not worth it.

The car is 2 years and 25,000 km old. It is an ex-demo car. It does not matter that it has not been registered - it has been abused by all and sundry for this period of time. Purely on that basis, and as you yourself have said, the price is "exorbitant". It is simply not worth that money. Given the way it has probably been abused, it is going to give you a world of pain a couple of years down the line, so keep that in mind and make an insultingly low-ball offer of around 7 lakhs. I wouldn't pay more than 8 lakhs for that car.

I guess your wait continues ...
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 15:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
insultingly low-ball offer of around 7 lakhs. I wouldn't pay more than 8 lakhs for that car.

I guess your wait continues ...
I quoted 6 lakhs and they ran away from me. But calling me daily trying to sell the new model which I am not interested in.

Thank you for your advice. I shall continue with my search
Abhi_abarth is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed