Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2007, 16:11   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

New Mitsubishi Lancer. When will it come to India?

The new generation Mitsubishi Lancer is superb-looking and apparently much improved in terms of driving pleasure, ride quality and interiors.

The Lancer brand was ranked highly in India, until very recently. Still it has great recall. HM has anyways not used the Lancer badge for the last generation and called it the Cedia. What better car to bring back the Lancer magic? Discontinue the current Lancer / Cedia and bring this bad boy in. With a powerful engine option. This is a golden opportunity for HM to get back the sales numbers it once enjoyed from the C-segment.

Is HM listening? Or are they going to take another decade to launch the new Lancer?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2007, 16:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

looks like the perfect car to restore the lancer magic. my avatar shows the interior pic of the car. will try and dig up the pic.

HM needs to bring this before its too late. this happened to the cedia. this will be an enthusiasts car.

It can take the market share from the city, verna, fiesta for the lower models and the top end ones can give a fight to the new coroola expected and the civic.

HM need to pull up their socks. their service quality in a few cities like bangalore is pathetic.
Old 3rd March 2007, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

HM should have launched a new lancer instead of CEDIA and should launched 15lac priced EVO
Old 3rd March 2007, 18:10   #4
BHPian

Yes, after it becomes outdated in most countries!!!
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:43   #5
BHPian

It is said that this new gen standard lancer has better body stiffness than even the Evo 9. Thats some serious drivers car and currently the only one to give tough competition to current Civic in its segment. But remember reading somewhere that HM has no plans to offer it in India in the near future. Another drool machine for us Indians.
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why do all cars coming out this season have a high waistline? Thsi trend started with the Chrysler 300C and suddenly everyone doesnt want to be seen inside their cars anymore.
Old 4th March 2007, 01:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

That is one mean machine. HM would be crazy not to bring the latest Lancer to India. It makes the Cedia look like a poor cousin.
Old 4th March 2007, 03:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

I find the 7th generation Lancer/Cedia a bit too "soft" as compared to the 6th generation Lancer and I feel the new one really solves that problem. However I guess HM wont be too happy doing this considering they jsut launched the Cedia.
Old 4th March 2007, 08:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
However I guess HM wont be too happy doing this considering they jsut launched the Cedia.
HM should seriously consider this step.. The Cedia is not doing wonders in the sales figures anyway.. Though its a nice car.
I think this new Lancer would be a better bet than the Cedia.

Godfather
Old 4th March 2007, 08:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
HM should seriously consider this step.. The Cedia is not doing wonders in the sales figures anyway.. Though its a nice car.
I think this new Lancer would be a better bet than the Cedia.

Godfather
HM messed up in planning. Bringing the Cedia in jsut a year before the next generation Lancer was to be launched internationally was a really huge mistake.

However Mitsubishi need this car as the competition in India is really heating up.
Old 4th March 2007, 10:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

HIndustan motors is launching the newest outlander model in september.

also they are going to launch the I-car within 1-2 months of the launch of palio 1.1 (palio will be released in march)

But HM motors is also in dire losses at the moment( which is offset by Mitsubishi turning profitable after being the only loss making Jap company)

So Theres a high probability that HM may launch the new lancer in late 2008 but with probably a new badge.
Old 4th March 2007, 12:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Is HM listening? Or are they going to take another decade to launch the new Lancer?
Maybe not a decade, 9 years is my bet.
Old 4th March 2007, 12:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
HM messed up in planning.
Hardly anything new or surprising there, they've been doing that regularly & reliably for years. Methinks Mitsubishi should acquire direct control of Mitsubishi India & not give any function of it to HM. With proper engine choices, pricing, timing, better sales & service the new Outlander & Lancer can work wonders for them.

As for the Outlander let's hope they price it reasonable rather than doing another Pajero with it!

P.S. Devarshi has the i-car been confirmed for India? What specs & what price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Maybe not a decade, 9 years is my bet.
Nah, I would say 2015!

Last edited by iraghava : 4th March 2007 at 12:16.
Old 4th March 2007, 12:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Share prices of HM are rising nowadays reason,The stock market is very optimistic about Hindustan motors but sadly not for their car selling ability but more for their real estate ventures,

“Firstly Hindustan Motors people have been taking the fundamental and operational the working call of the company, infact in my view that is a wrong call because everybody knows in the automobiles they are not making money and they are not going to make money by making Lancer and Ambassador. But if you really take a call on the assets which the company is owning first and foremost they own 49% in AVTECH Ltd. which was the division of Hindustan Motors which has been hived off making engines and all that, 30% is held by the Actis private equity investors and sooner or later even this 49% stake will get divested mainly ultimately to Actis or to a company which will be taking over the entire unit and valuation in that situation should not be less than Rs 800-1000 crore for that AVTEC Ltd. If I take a 49% valuation that alone gives me a valuation of about Rs 400-500 crore this is definitely not a strategic or a promoter contribution kind of investments which can get realized over a period of time.”

The article goes on showing the amount of money they can make with their real estate deals.

Source:
Moneycontrol India :: News :: Hindustan Motors can touch three digits: Tulsian :: :: Stocks Views :: Hindustan Motors,Investment Advisor SP Tulsian

In fact Hm too seems more interested in real estate business nowadays,

To commercially develop 314 acres of idle land at Uttarpara into an integrated IT township and an auto park.

Source:
Hindustan Motors Seals Deal With Shriram
Old 4th March 2007, 13:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

i think cedia looks much better from front.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks