Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2020, 16:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Kona Electric sets new altitude record for EVs

The Hyundai Kona Electric has set a new Guinness World Record for the highest altitude achieved in an electric car.

Hyundai Kona Electric sets new altitude record for EVs-photo-2.jpg

The Kona Electric was driven to an altitude of 5,731 meters to the Sawula Pass in Tibet. It beat the previous record of 5,715.28 meters.

In December 2019, the Kona Electric had set off on a 700 km drive from Lhasa to the Everest base camp, which is located at an altitude of 17,000 feet (5,181.6 meters).

The Kona Electric was launched in July 2019. The car uses a 39.2 kWh battery that powers an electric motor that has an output of 134 BHP and 395 Nm. Hyundai claims that the car can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 9.7 seconds, while the battery is said to offer an ARAI certified range of 452 km on a single charge.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 17th January 2020 at 16:13.
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 16:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric sets new altitude record for EVs

I think EVs are better suited for higher altitudes than ICE vehicles (ignoring the obvious charging issue or rather, the lack of charging-issue). For one, they don't lose power at higher altitude like ICE vehicles. IC engines have to deal with low oxygen at high altitudes. Not only do they lose power, they also overheat, having to deal with leaner air-fuel mix. The driver would also be more comfortable as he won't have to change gears frequently. Check out this.
GeneralJazz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 16:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

It may be okay to set records where all else is taken care of by the company and support team but it's at least 50 years away before a common man can take one to the Himalayas.
Durango Dude is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 17:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I think EVs are better suited for higher altitudes than ICE vehicles (ignoring the obvious charging issue or rather, the lack of charging-issue). For one, they don't lose power at higher altitude like ICE vehicles. IC engines have to deal with low oxygen at high altitudes. Not only do they lose power, they also overheat, having to deal with leaner air-fuel mix. The driver would also be more comfortable as he won't have to change gears frequently. Check out this.
There is one drawback with the batteries that they discharge faster in colder climates thus affecting range - you might reach the heights and be stuck there

As someone on this thread said, its okay to set a record for record's sake but that does not automatically imply practical use
AspiringIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 17:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

EVs in India can use such marketing campaigns to drive adoption. EVs need such attention in India currently.
Old 18th January 2020, 07:58   #6
BHPian

I am sure it was followed by a bus/ truck with diesel generator to charge it. :-|
It would also be interesting to know how much time it took for the entire trip.

LoL.

Last edited by groom : 18th January 2020 at 07:59. Reason: Spell check
groom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 08:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Instead of this, I wish the headline read "Hyundai sets a world record in setting up maximum charging stations across the country in minimum time".

I don't think this would set sales chart on fire. Instead, do something that attracts the common buyer.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 08:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Wait. Didn’t Milind Soman drive the Nexon EV to Leh from Manali? Tanglang La’s altitude is a bit more than 17000ft, making it higher than this Tibetan pass. The record should go to Tata.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 09:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
I am sure it was followed by a bus/ truck with diesel generator to charge it. :-|

LoL.
Very true. I would like to know how many kms they got out of one charge on that route. Also, did they make any mods, like a larger battery pack? Any other tweaks to the car? Maybe they removed all unnecessary equipment to reduce weight.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 11:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringIndian View Post
There is one drawback with the batteries that they discharge faster in colder climates thus affecting range - you might reach the heights and be stuck there

As someone on this thread said, its okay to set a record for record's sake but that does not automatically imply practical use
That's true! I faced this issue twice with my smart phone - once at the Rohtang La pass and once when we went skiing in Austria. Both times, my phone's battery just dropped to 1% though it did stay on for an hour or so before it died. To be fair, my battery was about 15% degraded by then but I can't imagine what would have happened in a similar scenario in an EV.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 00:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Wait. Didn’t Milind Soman drive the Nexon EV to Leh from Manali? Tanglang La’s altitude is a bit more than 17000ft, making it higher than this Tibetan pass. The record should go to Tata.
This pass is around 400 metres(approx 1300 feet) higher than Tanglag La. Infact, it is even higher than Khardung La and Mana pass. Most probably, Umling La is the only motorable pass in India that is higher than this.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 14:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post

LoL.
I think so to. Recently 'CarWow YouTube Channel' did a range run on all the EV's available in UK market. As a backup, they did carry a diesel generator
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks