Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2007, 02:40   #766
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
It wont be driveabale as baleno because of its lack of torque at low rpms. 14.3@4250 rpm is what sx4 produces, baleno produced 13.4@3000 rpm.
This bothers me too. 4250 is sky high, particularly given the bore/stroke ratio of the engine. IF the engine was VVT it would not be so much concern, as there is good torque all around the peak torque RPM, aiding driveability.

Old 8th May 2007, 02:49   #767
BHPian

4250 for peak torque is hardly sky high, The OHC 1.5 used to peak around 4500~4600 and was still pretty driveable in city conditions. So I'm guessing the sx4 should do just fine
Old 8th May 2007, 03:10   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
This bothers me too. 4250 is sky high, particularly given the bore/stroke ratio of the engine. IF the engine was VVT it would not be so much concern, as there is good torque all around the peak torque RPM, aiding driveability.
Its still lower than swift petrol. In addition it has more power to weight ratio than Swift petrol, and shorter gearing. so it makes this car more driveable than swift petrol and of course NHC... but if u compare it to cars like corolla, than of course this is surely underpowered....
Old 8th May 2007, 03:36   #769
Senior - BHPian

Hondas answer to SX4... coming shortly in a Honda showroom near you....

Next generation Honda City/Fit Aria

airbags, integrated stereo and abs...

Honda Fit (2007) - 800x600 wallpaper 09

Last edited by aseem : 8th May 2007 at 03:40.
Old 8th May 2007, 08:07   #770
BHPian

I don't know how my post yesterday on this thread didn't get published, so here I go again.......

Had a short TD of SX4 Zxi yesterday, long queue at the Showroom for people wanting to have a dekko couldn't allow a longer one..my observations:

Looks are fine, decent back as compared to OMB, the tyres look huge and the interiors are better too, not as spacious as I expected (people were comparing it to Corolla ??)

AC feels lacking, had the temp set at 20 and blower at full blast but somehow the flow & cooling was not as good as OMB.

Drive was smooth, good pickup and handling, steering felt light and brakes were very good & effective.

Will try again in a few days when the rush subsides, the sales guy was reporting a FE of 15 but I doubt him.

Rear seat legroom is kinda ok when the front driver seat is pushed to the back, else my knee touches the dash.

Lets hear what the others have to say !!
Old 8th May 2007, 08:49   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
1. I believe Busa was replying to this...

2. And wow. The "introductory" prices for the ZXi leather are almost 50K off the estimated mark...I'm impressed....

3. I believe a (further) bulk order discount can be availed for Tbhpians...people interested may please contact.....(J.K)

1. and I was replying to the earlier statement to the effect that that SX4 is not a good deal as it does not have rear discs, where as some competitors do. I was pointing out the goodies which SX4 has at this price point , which most competitors do not have . For every feature it does not have . It has a few more to compensate. No competitor is even within striking distance of SX 4 at this price point.

2. Estimated by whom ? IMO , The so called estimated prices were educated guesses passed off as inside information from secret locations and way off the mark across variants.

3. what is the further discount we can expect ? for ordring how many cars ? is it across locations ?

Last edited by w 12 : 8th May 2007 at 09:02.
Old 8th May 2007, 09:07   #772
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Ok , the launch is today .. Quite a few of us are going for it .. Shall post pics if possible .. Also since the cars have JUST reached a couple of days back TD's wont be possible as the cars haven't been registered with the RTO yet and its an offense to drive them on public roads without registration .. So I guess all might have to wait till the 10th then ..
Old 8th May 2007, 09:07   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post

3. what is the further discount we can expect ? for ordring how many cars ? is it across locations ?
He mentions that the there is further discount.... JK... I think JK= just kidding, so there is no further discount on this pricing.... and you cant expect to have one as this car is quite competitively priced. I am still awaiting driving impressions...
Old 8th May 2007, 09:21   #774
BHPian

I think I'll now replace my aging 5 yr old Skoda Octavia with either sx4 or Verna, running costs don't bother. Had considered Cedia earlier, but found it too ordinary for the price.

I also have seen Sx4 on the road, but have yet to see it from close quarters .

May be I'll go for a TD today!
Old 8th May 2007, 09:28   #775
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A lot of comments on the looks; well can the previous segment leader - NHC - boast of any beauty? To me, its downright ugly (no offence to owners) and looks like its from another planet.

On the FE : Come on, has any Maruti product not delivered on FE (save the Vitara)? Due to the weight and thick tyres, it may probably not be class-leading (read probably) but it will be at acceptable levels for sure. Maruti knows the Indian market verrrry well.

Also, it was great to see Jagdish Khattars interview last night. The man was beaming with confidence and was all smiles. He stressed on the value proposition that the SX4 offers, and that SX4 margins dont count....but segment presence does. That should explain the aggressive pricing. I also liked how he spoke about the Maruti brand value....very passionate and genuine. "People from the top segment choose Mercedes-Benz (though he didnt name it) and people who are looking for value choose Maruti". He was visibly proud of the fact that Maruti has ranked no.1 in JD Powers satisfaction for 7 years in a row.

He did admit, although indirectly, that he gave the Baleno step-motherly treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
I don't know how my post yesterday on this thread didn't get published, so here I go again.......
Of course it did, Shankyz. Here is the post linky

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2007 at 09:32.
Old 8th May 2007, 09:53   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A lot of comments on the looks; well can the previous segment leader - NHC - boast of any beauty? To me, its downright ugly (no offence to owners) and looks like its from another planet.
It does look like a futuristic space-ship, but at least it does not look like its designed from chopped up front, rear and mid sections (ok, maybe the rear) - the sx4 looks like a bad photoshop job of 3 different cars altogether.

Come to think of it - no new mid-size car has exactly been a looker lately. Everyone has been trying out the tall-boy look to squeeze in lower-D segment spaces within a small body shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the FE : Come on, has any Maruti product not delivered on FE (save the Vitara)? Due to the weight and thick tyres, it may probably not be class-leading (read probably) but it will be at acceptable levels for sure. Maruti knows the Indian market verrrry well.
Agree - the Swift doesnt exactly give class leading mileage - but gives acceptable figures, and that doesnt seem to be stopping anyone. However, there is no clear leader in that segment.

On the other hand, the NHC is a clear leader in its segment for FE, and that has been 'one' of its strengths. To beat that, SX4 really needs to score greatly on all other counts. Remember, no "petrol" mid-size car has been able to come anywhere close to NHC's sales, its their oil-burner variants.

BTW - all MUL offerings have relied on their lightweight body shells to give the superb FE. Swift does not, and it fares average on the FE part.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 8th May 2007 at 09:55.
Old 8th May 2007, 10:03   #777
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to Spectra Motors near my place yesterday evening. He told me that theyre getting the test drive car today evening. He said I could test drive today and theyre open till 10 PM. I just might head out there on my way home
Old 8th May 2007, 10:37   #778
BHPian

Pricing in Bangalore is also cool..

MARUTI SX4 Vxi BS-III629000 MARUTI SX4 Zxi BS-III700000 MARUTI SX4 Zxi With Leather BS-III735000
Old 8th May 2007, 10:51   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post

Agree - the Swift doesnt exactly give class leading mileage - but gives acceptable figures, and that doesnt seem to be stopping anyone. However, there is no clear leader in that segment.

On the other hand, the NHC is a clear leader in its segment for FE, and that has been 'one' of its strengths. To beat that, SX4 really needs to score greatly on all other counts. Remember, no "petrol" mid-size car has been able to come anywhere close to NHC's sales, its their oil-burner variants.

BTW - all MUL offerings have relied on their lightweight body shells to give the superb FE. Swift does not, and it fares average on the FE part.
What other cars are you comparing Swift with when you say its not class leading in FE. Honda does have a advantage over others in terms of FE and its their signature around the world. Just remembering that they are having a FE target of 25mpg(mixed) on the new V10.
Old 8th May 2007, 11:06   #780
Senior - BHPian

If the SX4 is a runaway success, what happens to the other petrols in its segment?
Maruti has intelligently not launched an LXi variant of this as yet! Based on how the competition reacts, they will launch it at atleast 30K less (5.9L ex-showroom delhi).. Who can beat (or even match) that in terms of value?

Come on Toyota, get the Vios out.. And fast..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks