Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2007, 11:56   #61
BHPian

This is the car that's likely to come in as the Baleno replacement. BTW Suzuki plans to sell this all over the world, but like in the case of the local Swift, India is likely to get an older engine or a modified version of one already in the market (Esteem/ Baleno).

The SX4 sedan has baby-SUV antecedents, so should be a sporty drive.
Old 18th March 2007, 13:03   #62
BHPian

Hi Pogu,

Here I have compared SX4 with current offerings of 6 to 7.5 lakhs, & surely it will blow the class.

[COLOR=black][COLOR=black]Specs NHC Fiesta Verna SX4 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Length 4390 4282 4310 4490[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Width 1690 1686 1695 1730 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Height 1495 1468 1490 1555 Wh.Base 2450 2486 2500 2500 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Grd. Clr 160 168 170 175 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Fuel Tank 42 45 45 50 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]TrunkVol. 500 430 352 450[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Kerb Wt. 1055 1130 1152 1185 [/COLOR]
Turn Radius 4.9 4.9 5 5.4
[/COLOR]
Old 18th March 2007, 13:56   #63
BHPian

You can watch review of SX4 from a show in USA which is a very competitive market for automobiles

Though there is only a hatchback version available there not the SEDAN

POGU
Old 18th March 2007, 20:00   #64
BHPian

Turning radius of 5.4m seems pretty bad for a sedan. Can anyone tell me how much difference the extra 0.5m could make? I know the 4.9m(apart from other factors) of NHC makes it a pretty good car in the city.

sgmuser has an SX4 hatchback. Could you share your experience with us?
Old 18th March 2007, 20:35   #65
Senior - BHPian

New Baleno's look is great! But I heard tehnically its again disappointment like Swift (Petrol engine not so good), New ZEN (WagonR's engine... and not even as good as wagonR..).

But Baleno Diesel is the car to watch out! But Maruti is too new to Diesel technology because it has taken it from FIAT! In 1 year we will know its failure or sucess!

Its unfortunate now a days Diesel cars have great refinements compared to Petrol ones.

Ravi.
Old 18th March 2007, 20:49   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
New Baleno's look is great! But I heard tehnically its again disappointment like Swift (Petrol engine not so good), New ZEN (WagonR's engine... and not even as good as wagonR..).
Ravi.
1) Hmmmmm Swift engine not good, but the car is selling like hot cakes. Is it then because of maruti backing?
2) You have a Swift VXI sold out, same reason as above?

POGU
Old 19th March 2007, 12:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Yes thats right I didn't like Swift Petrol at all, If we look from economy point of view Swift P is good one (considerring its maruti ..) but for 5 lakh range premium hatch Swift engine and quality I didn't like and thats why I have sold it. Maintenance is one issue with Swift once it clocks 40,000km, its costlier than few mid size sedans.

I wish Maruti launch new baleno with refinement in it

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 19th March 2007, 12:51   #68
BHPian

Maybe MUL should have phased out Esteem, and retained Baleno (with 1.3L offering).

SX4 is indeed a neat sedan, and thankfully MUL plans to discontinue the Baleno tag (which they should have done for Zen. Estilo was ok enough).
Moreover the SX4 design should not be compared as a crossover of Fiesta and Verna (as being discussed here) - it is bound to resemble something!

6 - 7.5L is the ideal bracket for this car. Maruti has never been good at pricing, they have made huge mistakes in the past. Zen and Baleno are the classic examples.

Last edited by scorp 1 : 19th March 2007 at 12:52.
Old 19th March 2007, 15:14   #69
BHPian

Esteem and Baleno are now at the point of being phased out.. The reason for not phasing out Esteem is its still selling.. Baleno has drawbacks that it cant be remodelled the way maruti been doing to all its vehicles (changing lights , grills ).. So that car failed.. No doubt the power and stability of this car is awesome..and above all mileage.. Guess its better to phase one by one rather than together all.. See.. Market is tough nowadays in India.. U cant expect the whopping sales Maruti enjoyed for decades.. they need to walk step by step rather than leaping...
Old 19th March 2007, 17:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
Maybe MUL should have phased out Esteem, and retained Baleno (with 1.3L offering).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Esteem and Baleno are now at the point of being phased out..
Maruti simply will not do it!!!. Because they do not have an entry level sedan to replace the Esteem. Baleno cannot fill the slot because of the higher price band. Isn't this segment very lucrative. How can you guys leave this point out??

Maruti will be leaving the doors open for Indigo, Ikon and yet to be released Logan to grab the pie. Jagdishji won't allow that. A swift sedan can perhaps make a difference.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 19th March 2007 at 17:33.
Old 19th March 2007, 23:43   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Maruti simply will not do it!!!. Because they do not have an entry level sedan to replace the Esteem. Baleno cannot fill the slot because of the higher price band. Isn't this segment very lucrative. How can you guys leave this point out??
If you recall, Baleno was priced close to 7.5-8.0L initially, and was brought down to 5.5 something when the sales didn't pickup.
With a further marginal drop, Baleno could have very well replaced ageing Esteem. I donot concur simply because MUL should have made Baleno less expensive, but they opted otherwise. What could have become a hot entry level sedan is now phased out.
Old 19th March 2007, 23:50   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
If you recall, Baleno was priced close to 7.5-8.0L initially, and was brought down to 5.5 something when the sales didn't pickup.
With a further marginal drop, Baleno could have very well replaced ageing Esteem. I donot concur simply because MUL should have made Baleno less expensive, but they opted otherwise. What could have become a hot entry level sedan is now phased out.
Well when i checked baleno price it was whooping 9 lacs and it hardly sold at 7.5 lacs too. But 5.5 it sold like there is no other car in the segment. But all this was due to the 2 factors IMHO

1. Looks as other cars in segment were better looking.
2. Maruti not well known for luxury cars.

But after the launch of Swift the time seems to be changing and Maruti can build a luxury car. I am not saying Swift is luxurious but its any day better than any other Maruti except Vitara..

Last edited by abhibh : 20th March 2007 at 00:00.
Old 19th March 2007, 23:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Its unfortunate now a days Diesel cars have great refinements compared to Petrol ones.
I beg to differ my friend but NHC, OPTRA and Fiesta 1.6 still are ahead in terms of refinement compared to diesel cars. If you compare all the above with the most refined car within 20 lac diesel cars segment FIESTA TDCi. Floor the pedal of TDCi the driver will come to know about the refinement levels going down where as Optra and NHC is pleasure to floor as it offer almost the same refinement whether you floor or not.

But hats off to manufacturers as diesel cars now days do not feel like diesel. They are very refined and silent

Last edited by abhibh : 20th March 2007 at 00:00.
Old 20th March 2007, 10:30   #74
BHPian

Hi
The new Baleno should offer ABS and Airbag. This is very good for the indian car segment as indian customer has been cheated for long wrt the safety features. With coming up of so many highways/expressways these should be mandatory by law.
Although people say that CITY has a bullet proof engine etc etc and everyone is GA GA over the average of the vehicle may be they miss basic law of physics that a vehicle typically shall have a good average if its light in weight. So is the case with CITY. In numerous accidents that I have heard that CITY has turned upside down on the highways.
Does anyone has information about the stability of SX4?

POGU
Old 20th March 2007, 14:23   #75
BHPian

According to CNBC TV18, SX4 sedan is likely to be launched in May and will be priced between 7-8 lakhs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks