Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 11:13   #91
BHPian

read in Indiatimes Auto Section the details of SX4
SX4 is expected to feature a versatile, four-door design along with a 2.0-litre DOHC engine that may deliver 143 horsepower at the top end. However, Maruti is almost certain to launch other, lower powered variants too.

The styling of SX4 seems contemporary with roomy interior and high-output engines just like Maruti Swift. In fact, many features of SX4 even seem to have been borrowed from Swift, including aspects of the suspension and brake systems.
the Indian SX4 could have a wheelbase of 98.4 inches/2,500 mm with the vehicle's overall length of 176.8 inches/4,490 mm and 68.1 inches/1,730 mm of overall width.

NOTE FROM MOD: PLEASE DO NOT USE FONT OR SIZE TAGS

Last edited by tsk1979 : 4th April 2007 at 15:22.
Old 28th March 2007, 13:56   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
...Auto magazines claimed that NHC rear seat comfort was the best in class - you say SX4 is better than NHC! But I don't know how the FE, performance of the Indian version will compare with the your version of the SX4 - there is speculation that the OMB (retuned) engine will be used...
1. Actually I was mentioning about the shock performance of NHC, which was sounding and feeling hard like rock.

2. In terms of FE, NHC IDSi beats the competition by big margin for sure. And I mentioned about the sluggishness from stand still to move. You get more mileage and less performance. If I need performance pay 5k more and get VTEC which is a scorcher.

3. I believe, the engine inside SX4 I drive is a Baleno 1.6 with tuned up a little to get 109bhp. Its proven, good FE , smooth and I am happy. Easiliy I can reach 150kmph easily and felt stable, confident and and still I am using Castrol 15/40 as I yet to reach 10k mileage in odo.

4. One thing I dont really like in SX4 is the Electronic PS like the suzuki's in India. Its too sensitive. Need to get used to that. Straightline driving is very good, and without hands in a good surface, car goes for few hundred meters straight!
Old 30th March 2007, 18:25   #93
BHPian

It seems there is conflicting info regarding the launch of NMB, the dealers are going for training in 1st week of April and are telling that NMB will be launched around April end or May 1st week.
Old 3rd April 2007, 19:54   #94
Senior - BHPian

Training will start soon, NMB by next month

Hi all,

Today i had been to Mandovi motors Lavelle Road, Bangalore. Just to check on the swift. Atleast 3 senior executives at the counter confirmed that they have been personally chosen to participate in the training for launch of the new maruti baleno (aka how we know it as sx4 sedan). Generally maruti does the training around one month before the car is launched.

So if assumptions are right, we can see the launch of NMB (mostly likely in both petrol and diesel versions) by May 1st week or latest 2nd week.

What will be the key point to debate upon will be the price of both petrol version and diesel version. after having seen the logan between 4.7-6.5 lacs, and maruti not having an image like honda, i can expect the petrol sedan to start off at 6.5, and the diesel might be around 7.5 ex showroom without ABS/Airbags. if maruti does give the 1.9 JTD fiat engine with airbags and abs and all goodies, i wouldnt be surprised if it goes upto even 9 lacs.

Wait and watch!!
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:09   #95
Senior - BHPian

Logan debuted to kill NMB the reason is Maruti always used to win big time by pricing their cars less comapred with compitetion.

This time Logan has cheap compared with NMB because later is expected 6.5+lacs ex showroom.

Swift although not practical one beat Getz (really smooth and practical choice in its segment)

WagonR/Alto/ZEN always emerged

I feel Renault (+Mahindra) priced Logan aggressively which will shake up NMB, Esteem, Indigo, even NHC, Optra, Corolla ... as well.

Maruti can't win with luxury segment cars I am sure long way to go to give quality product. So I feel except for looks NMB is not good car.

Its better if we talk more on Logan and Indigo than NMB according to me

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd April 2007, 21:29   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Logan debuted to kill NMB the reason is Maruti always used to win big time by pricing their cars less comapred with compitetion.

This time Logan has cheap compared with NMB because later is expected 6.5+lacs ex showroom.

Swift although not practical one beat Getz (really smooth and practical choice in its segment)

WagonR/Alto/ZEN always emerged

I feel Renault (+Mahindra) priced Logan aggressively which will shake up NMB, Esteem, Indigo, even NHC, Optra, Corolla ... as well.

Maruti can't win with luxury segment cars I am sure long way to go to give quality product. So I feel except for looks NMB is not good car.

Its better if we talk more on Logan and Indigo than NMB according to me

Regards,

Ravi.
BTW you missed one car, Logan's aggressive price will also displace Merc C Class at least thats what Mahindra's website wants us to believe.

How can you expect a 65 bhp bullock cart deisel engine (UNDERPOWERED ) and a car that looks like it was designed a decade ago to compete with likes of Corolla, NHC, Optra. India's automotive scene should move forward with cars like Hyundai Verna (truly awesome engine), Swift Vdi (even more powerful than Logan at 75 bhp) than these sham automakers who think India is the dumping ground and cars here need scooter engines.

I think you will see that Logan will only compare to the likes of Indigo.

And puny cars like Getz 1.1, Aveo Hatch 1.2 will soon find their fate in the market. Swift Lxi 1.3 ptrl will eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old 3rd April 2007, 21:33   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Only the looks are out so far, and that is good...

How can you state, NMB is not a good car???
Old 3rd April 2007, 22:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

To Aseem: In India price matters a lot, what I mean is Logan is cheaper than all these cars so auto analyst believe Logan will shake many cars including luxury ones.

To Crazy Driver: Maruti needs another 3 years at least to improve the quality, swift might be its first step to come up with better new generation cars, but its not enough compared with premium car makers like Honda, Toyota etc.. so one can expect one or other disappointment with NMB, unless Maruti really works out and come up with quality product. Future will tell about it! Logan is far better car than coming soon NMB because of its cheap price.

Ravi.
Old 3rd April 2007, 22:59   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To Aseem: In India price matters a lot, what I mean is Logan is cheaper than all these cars so auto analyst believe Logan will shake many cars including luxury ones.

To Crazy Driver: Maruti needs another 3 years at least to improve the quality, swift might be its first step to come up with better new generation cars, but its not enough compared with premium car makers like Honda, Toyota etc.. so one can expect one or other disappointment with NMB, unless Maruti really works out and come up with quality product. Future will tell about it! Logan is far better car than coming soon NMB because of its cheap price.

Ravi.
Ravi: You are of the opinion that BUDGET is the ONLY major criteria in Indian market that decides a cars success. Its only partially true. If Budget was all that matters than we all would be driving Indigo and Indica and not Swift, City, Santros etc.
Where as in Taxi segement your statement is mostly true, but for personal usage, the consumer is willing to stretch an extra lakh for added value, like looks, engine, space, comfort.

A perfect example is Swift. Its a lakh costlier than Santro, Zen, WagonR, but the kind of sensation it created in the Indian autmotive scene is historical and there sheer numbers in just 2.5 years of release says a lot. If buyers were content only with price, than maybe Getz 1.1 or Aveo 1.1 hatch would shake up the Indian car scene. As they are cheaper than Swift, have more space etc. But as an overall package they suck, they have puny engines (putting Santros engine in Getz), and its almost like buying a Ferrari with an accord engine.I dont see any Getz fanboyz stating about Getz sham that they have come up with 1.1 santro engine in Getz. But I remember when Swift came with 1.3 ltr engine, the Getz owners were talking about technology, power etc. In hindi they say (angoor khatte hai)

But you know and I know, these cars are not shaking anything but their manufacturers as the total package offered is not lucurative as Swift Lxi.

Coming back to this Logan. Now it is a perfect hatch for those choosing between Esteem, OMB, Indigo. But to say you are going to woo away Honda City customers or Optra's customer is wishful thinking. Do you seriously believe dude that those who buy carolla, optra, city would even want to be scene in a boxy car made for 3rd world countries with a diesel engine that has power rating comparable to Santro??? Maybe but I DONT think so.

Lastly, kudos to Maruti for off late givin us cars with decently powered engines, and new looks. Whereas other manufacturers are cutting prices by giving us bycycle engines in cars, Maruti has given us relatively more powerful engines at a price thats more competitive than these bycycle powered engines.

Of course the crown goes to Hyundai Verna for rolling out an awesome 110 bhp engine in India (even more powerful than Octi and Laura) but I still feel its a tad pricy.

I am willing to bet with you my freind, that once the initial enthu for Logan dies down, it will find its rightful place in taxi stables and Indigo crowd.

NMB will be in totally different league. Hopefully when the diesel engine rolls out, if its anything in excess of 90bhp, it would make new Baleno the ideal car in this segment. Mahindra can only but dream to compete with Maruti on its turf.

Lastly as consumers we should encourage manf for bringing new technology to our shores. Once new technology, things like Airbags, ABS etc become standard, prices automatically will go down when manf in bulk and competition kicks in. So rather than bringing Qualis like vehciles that were succesful, manf should bring Innova like vehicles. These buggers dont want to do that as they still think all India needs is a car with 4 tyres and an engine, and too woo them maybe color the interiors with biege color and you call it luxury sedan. Unless we stop buying any peace of cheap trash thats thrown at us, we will always be choosing between the likes of Indigos, Esteems and Logans or CT100 from Hero Honda.

Last edited by aseem : 3rd April 2007 at 23:06.
Old 4th April 2007, 01:29   #100
BHPian

Logan is not such a bad car. It has got lot of space for both people and their luggage. If it proves trouble free then it will be a huge success, i hope parts price will also be significantly lesser than rivals.
Old 4th April 2007, 10:54   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Ravi.
Maruti's current course of action.

Today : Stop production
Today + 3 years : Resume production
End result : Improved quality

Is that what you're trying to imply?

Maruti deserves a pat on the back for bringing in new products which are reliable. They usually get their pricing right, and have a good backup network. Maruti, bring in the NMB. We are waiting.
Old 4th April 2007, 13:43   #102
BHPian

The new NMB if maruti get the pricing right, should predictably do well..waiting for the launch, they got it right with swift now the NMB hopefully
Old 4th April 2007, 15:17   #103
Team-BHP Support

Just go this as a forward from someone via email.

I quote the text:
"The NEW CAR from SUZUKI SX-4 1598 cc 102 Bhp 16" Alloys 5 spoke with Tires 205/60/16 JK VECTRA L shaped Headlights with a boot Interiors copy of the FIESTA. rear a bit like a AVEO Front Grille a big a one boot decent one Swift like interiors

Training at a Resort on outskirts of B'lore some fotos."

Old 4th April 2007, 15:19   #104
Team-BHP Support

I like those specs - 16" wheels with 205 tyres!
Old 4th April 2007, 15:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I like those specs - 16" wheels with 205 tyres!
And you think they will make the cut? Only thing still on them will be the JKs. Probably 165/80s on base model and 185/70s on top model. Oh and I'm talking about 14s!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks