Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 12:55   #136
Senior - BHPian

Well theres no need for the Baleno to replace the Esteem, theyre in two diffeent categories. What Maruti should do is get in another car to replace the Esteem which IMO should be their next move. However regarding the Baleno why should they sell it so cheap? the SX4 hatch in the US costs $15k and so 8 lakhs doesnt seem that bad. Also this seems to be a big change for Maruti and after the Swift this is the second time its launching a current model in India.
Old 11th April 2007, 13:29   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
why can't MUL do what Ford did with the Ikon ?? They relegate the Baleno a segment (in price level) I mean. Or maybe also detune it to 1.4 but still maintain it as an offering ??? And prolly do away with the Esteem, while they are at it. And the new SX4 can be their top end model like the Fiesta is for Ford.
What's the status of the current Baleno in Japan? If Suzuki is phasing it out there, the old jigs and dies can be transferred to Maruti to enable it to actually manufacture the car here. All these years, Maruti was merely assembling Baleno from imported components. Local manufacturing should enable cost and price reduction. Isn't this what they did with the Zen Stilo? Just brought old plant & machinery of a phased-out model here.
Old 11th April 2007, 13:52   #138
BHPian

Quote:
why should they sell it so cheap? the SX4 hatch in the US costs $15k and so 8 lakhs doesnt seem that bad. Also this seems to be a big change for Maruti and after the Swift this is the second time its launching a current model in India.
Because in India SX4 will have Old Baleno engine but in case of US, SX4 must be having newer engine option.
Old 11th April 2007, 14:23   #139
Senior - BHPian

Hi All, Just heard from someone at MUL, Car launches in 2-3 weeks time !!! Hopefully !!! Priced from 6.00L - 7.5L ( for top end with 195 tyres,ABS,AIrbags,ClimaControl, 15'' Alloys etc. etc. ). Base 6.00 L price will have p/w, p/s, AC etc. Car looks awesome, it is worth the wait, looks like MUL is doing a swift story again !!!
Old 11th April 2007, 14:33   #140
Senior - BHPian

Yeah just check its a 2.0 ltr engine

Check the Specs Here

Suzuki Auto - SX4 - Specs & Pricing

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th April 2007 at 14:35.
Old 11th April 2007, 16:21   #141
BHPian

I am just hoping they come out with an auto variant. It will be the first sub 10 lac auto with ABS & airbags ( assuming they make the auto fully loaded -just like honda did with Civic
This is a definite niche that SX4 can plug - and by doing so steal a slight march over the NHC upgrade scheduled for Nov or so this year.
Old 11th April 2007, 18:37   #142
Senior - BHPian

Spy Videos of the NMB

Old 11th April 2007, 19:33   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yeah just check its a 2.0 ltr engine

Check the Specs Here

Suzuki Auto - SX4 - Specs & Pricing
I can almost be sure of there wont be a 2lt petrol sedan available in india atleast initially. What you are talking about is a US site with details about a wagon type SX4.
Old 11th April 2007, 20:18   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hi All, Just heard from someone at MUL, Car launches in 2-3 weeks time !!! Hopefully !!! Priced from 6.00L - 7.5L ( for top end with 195 tyres,ABS,AIrbags,ClimaControl, 15'' Alloys etc. etc. ). Base 6.00 L price will have p/w, p/s, AC etc. Car looks awesome, it is worth the wait, looks like MUL is doing a swift story again !!!
you seem right with this info. i've booked a swift Vdi, but have my options still open for a new baleno petrol if the delivery is faster than Vdi. i spoke with bimal, and the person is going for training on 22nd of this month. he said he will come back and tell me the trim levels available, as well as possible pricing. but he also hinted at the batches and how they are going to deliver the car in batches. maybe another swift story maybe!
Old 11th April 2007, 20:20   #145
Senior - BHPian

Just went through a wikipedia article on the SX4 and found out a couple more things about the Sx4

1. Jointly developed by Fiat is sold by Fiat as the Sedici

2. Designed by Giugiaro 's Italdesign Studio

3. Will be entered into the WRC by Suzuki

4. Sedan will replace the Liana/Aerio sedan.

Old 11th April 2007, 20:29   #146
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The Santro, Matiz and WagonR were the first tall-n-short tallboys, made intentionally taller to accomodate more with a low footprint. Then came the Indica/Indigo.

Then the sleek low-slung Honda City was replaced with a bulbous urban tall boy New Honda City. Then came the Chevrolet Aveo(Daewoo Gentra).
and Zen was replaced with a tall boy Zen-Estilo.

Now even the sleek low-slung Baleno will be replaced with a bulbous tall boy SX4-Baleno.

Creating space by growing the Z dimension seems to be the latest fad among small car manufacturers.

I know that they'll never try a tallboy big car. It'll look like an Innova with a dikky.

Is the era of low-slung sleek small cars (like the Zen and Esteem) over?
Old 11th April 2007, 20:37   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
but what about the New Honda Civic, shes pretty sleek.
Old 11th April 2007, 21:25   #148
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
I am just hoping they come out with an auto variant. It will be the first sub 10 lac auto with ABS & airbags ( assuming they make the auto fully loaded -just like honda did with Civic
This is a definite niche that SX4 can plug - and by doing so steal a slight march over the NHC upgrade scheduled for Nov or so this year.
I completely second that!

Furthermore, if they introduce the AWD as an option (like in the international version) then its an icing on the cake.
Old 11th April 2007, 21:33   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
I know that they'll never try a tallboy big car. It'll look like an Innova with a dikky.

Ambassador (and cars of that era) was a big tall sedan. Like fashion, it comes back a full circle, looks like.
Old 11th April 2007, 21:57   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Furthermore, if they introduce the AWD as an option (like in the international version) then its an icing on the cake.
Yeah,right.
And Mitsubishi will sell EVOs, GM will sell Subarus.
Stop dreaming!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks