Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 22:14   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Or maybe MUL will start with the petrol variants and bring in the diesel a little later. Who knows ? Till MUL actually reveals the cards, all we can do is speculate.
Diesel will definetly be on the cards, just a question of when. The 1.3 diesel should be good enough.. in a higher state of tune.

However, I am a little dissapointed with Maruti deciding to stick with the old 1.6 petrol. Sure, great engine now updated to 100+ bhp etc...but Suzuki does have leaner, meaner, newer petrols in service abroad. Given Maruti's expertise with localisation, this should not be too far away.

I trust that Maruti will price the SX4 wisely. (else, hold your purchase and buy cheap 2 years later ) 8.5 lacs OTR for top of the line petrol is just OK, considering the saving they make by using existing engines. If so, expect the diesel to be closer to 10 lac (that with a 1.3 diesel, damn!)
Old 11th April 2007, 22:28   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
The Santro, Matiz and WagonR were the first tall-n-short tallboys, made intentionally taller to accomodate more with a low footprint. Then came the Indica/Indigo.

Then the sleek low-slung Honda City was replaced with a bulbous urban tall boy New Honda City. Then came the Chevrolet Aveo(Daewoo Gentra).
and Zen was replaced with a tall boy Zen-Estilo.

Now even the sleek low-slung Baleno will be replaced with a bulbous tall boy SX4-Baleno.

Creating space by growing the Z dimension seems to be the latest fad among small car manufacturers.

I know that they'll never try a tallboy big car. It'll look like an Innova with a dikky.

Is the era of low-slung sleek small cars (like the Zen and Esteem) over?
in a land where the average height of a gent is less than 6', why tallboys ? weren't we comfortable sitting in the zen or the amby ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Ambassador (and cars of that era) was a big tall sedan. Like fashion, it comes back a full circle, looks like.
I wouldn't exactly call the amby a tall boy. Just compare the height of the doors & you will know what i am talking about.
Old 12th April 2007, 00:43   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GM will sell Subarus
OT but GM does not own Subaru anymore.
Old 12th April 2007, 00:49   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
OT but GM does not own Subaru anymore.
yeps...toyota picked up GM's stake in Subaru, didn't they ???
Old 12th April 2007, 01:54   #155
Senior - BHPian

Dont want to go more off topic except for a couple of points.
Tall boys are beneficial because can provide less legroom and still not cause discomfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yeah,right.
And Mitsubishi will sell EVOs, GM will sell Subarus.
Stop dreaming!
GM did sell the Forester.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
in a land where the average height of a gent is less than 6', why tallboys ? weren't we comfortable sitting in the zen or the amby ?
I wouldn't exactly call the amby a tall boy. Just compare the height of the doors & you will know what i am talking about.
Amby is definetly a tall boy based on wheel size, tire profile, ground clearance. H point height and H-point to heel height. As far as the doors, they are taller and narrower than an Esteem or OHC.

Last edited by Mpower : 12th April 2007 at 01:59.
Old 12th April 2007, 01:58   #156
Senior - BHPian

While the wishlist are being made,I make an addition to the list, wish maruti give an automatic transmission option as well.
Old 12th April 2007, 12:18   #157
Senior - BHPian

In the U.S, the new sedan (not hatch) is slotted against Corolla and Civic. What would that mean in terms of positioning in India ? It cant be competing with Verna, Fiesta etc.,
Old 12th April 2007, 12:43   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I can almost be sure of there wont be a 2lt petrol sedan available in india atleast initially. What you are talking about is a US site with details about a wagon type SX4.
I was agreeing to this post

Quote:
Because in India SX4 will have Old Baleno engine but in case of US, SX4 must be having newer engine option.
And thats why posted US specs
Old 16th April 2007, 14:00   #159
Senior - BHPian

any news on the launch or the pricing? and any more scoop pictures?
Old 16th April 2007, 17:21   #160
Senior - BHPian

Baleno picture gallery:

Autoblog
Old 16th April 2007, 17:34   #161
Senior - BHPian

I think Maruti will call it the Baleno SX4. Sounds good without losing the old name.
Old 16th April 2007, 17:40   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I think Maruti will call it the Baleno SX4. Sounds good without losing the old name.
I don't think that would be a good strategy... the baleno name comes with too much baggage - I would prefer maruti making a fresh start with the SX4!!
Old 17th April 2007, 13:30   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Baleno picture gallery:

Autoblog
Nice Pics Geek!!! In some pics I noticed that SX4 is with the sporty side skirts...looked like a shoddy DC job!!!
Old 17th April 2007, 16:03   #164
HSV
BHPian

Why cant Suzuki launch the 2.0L all-wheel-drive hatchback (available in the international mkt), and tout is a mini SUV in say the 7-9lac range. I am sure that should become quite popular considering there is NOTHING else as compact in that segment. What say?
Old 17th April 2007, 19:36   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Why cant Suzuki launch the 2.0L all-wheel-drive hatchback (available in the international mkt), and tout is a mini SUV in say the 7-9lac range. I am sure that should become quite popular considering there is NOTHING else as compact in that segment. What say?
I was surprised to when I heard that they are launching the SX4 sedan rather than the baby-SUV version. Maruti would have done themselves good if they'd launched the SX4 as it used to be and avoided bracketing themselves between other cars.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks