Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2007, 10:46   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
vkochar

have you already put the money? did the dealer actually talk about anything related to booking before the car is launched? its interesting but I ve never heard of any dealer (barring this MUL case for sx4) accepting bookings before car is launched!
Hi GeekSrik , I think I goofed up on my post, I meant I have decided to put my Money down, not already done that !!! Yes, no dealer I have heard till now will accept money for a car which is not yet launched. Sorry for not being very clear !!! Cheers !!!
Old 28th April 2007, 12:01   #257
Senior - BHPian

A MUL purchasing dept guy is in my factory right now. On the way from the airport I had a conversation with him, the highlights of which I am putting down below.

1) SX4 will have 3 variants. Lauch expected in mid May. Deliveries to dealers start today. Expect test drives next week.

2) Base variant will not have ABS and Airbags.

3) The car is going to be sporty looking and they are looking at the Fiesta petrol as the main competitor and not the NHC. I was and am confused but thats what he insisted.

4) I asked him about the replacement for the Esteem. He says no plans , they have an order of 12000 Esteems from "Dial Taxi" over a period of 5 years.

So I asked him - what about the Swift Sedan ? and he gave me a very SURPRISED look that gave away a lot. So I probed him further - Aint the Swift Sedan replacing the Esteem ? And he admitted to it - Yes the Swift Sedan will replace the Esteem. he also said that I cannot tell you more.

5) The DIESEL SX4 expected after about 2-3 months (I see it as 6 months) of the launch of the SX4.

6) The Swift VDi is available with ABS. And yes they have constraints on manufacturing the diesel engines (120/day), thats why the waiting period for the ABS version.

Of course he said a few things that made no sense to me. Example about the tyres - he says the tyres for the SX4 are like your Skoda. So I asked him if he meant 16 inchers and a 205/55 profile. He didnt confirm but I expect 14 inchers on base and maybe just maybe 15 inchers on the fully loaded one.

Also confirmed with him rattling issues on the Swift. And he said those issues were taken care of.

A rubber strip was replaced inside the dashboard and the glass rattling issue was due to the beading which has been changed. Also when the window glass is down, the last 15-20 mm hangs free without support, which has now been given support so that the glass has no space to rattle. Recent Swift owners care to confirm this please ?

Last edited by Dippy : 28th April 2007 at 12:09.
Old 28th April 2007, 13:00   #258
BHPian

normally crazy, thats decent info there, especially on the sx4..its a car to watch out for in the aveo/fiesta segment..the swift issues especially (in my one) have been correctly identified, MUL should do the needful on all the previous ones, as and when the cars come in for service or on pre-allocated dates etc. (just like they recall cars overseas, to rectify/replace niggling issues)...
Old 28th April 2007, 13:22   #259

I had a talk with a known car salesman in maruti here, he says SX4 will be launched May 15, and the price range is definitely higher, starting 8L on road. He says the competitors are NHC and Skoda (!) and you gotta see to believe the new vehicle.

I am planning to buy another sedan and have looked from Accent (deeply discounted at 5.5 L on road), to NC (at 7.35 L if you go through some complicated mechanism), and waiting for this one to launch.

But 8-9L ? Are they making the same mistake as its predecessor Baleno?

One good thing is that other dealers are running pretty scared and keep calling to offer more and more discounts.

BTW is the Verna (Xi now at 6.95on road) a flop?
Old 28th April 2007, 14:01   #260
HSV
BHPian

Its great that MUL are finally going to offer a great car ahead in its segment - wider tyres, ABS, SRS, climate control with outside temp display, probably even great fuel efficieny etc etc....... HEY MARUTI!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!??!!
Old 28th April 2007, 14:43   #261
BHPian

just see the no of views/replies this thread has.....
this shows how everybody is interested in the new car.....good work T-BHP KEEP IT UP
Old 28th April 2007, 14:55   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthp3 View Post
I had a talk with a known car salesman in maruti here, he says SX4 will be launched May 15, and the price range is definitely higher, starting 8L on road.
Hey srikanth, where did you get this info ? Is it from a reliable source ? I know salesmen can sometime blabber whatever they want !!! All the car mags & all posts on the sx4 indicate a price between 6 - 7.5L, So how do you say starting from 8 L, That means it is above NHC vtec category & very close to civic 7 corrollas ... that seems so unlikely for maruti to do so !!!
Old 28th April 2007, 19:15   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hey srikanth, where did you get this info ? Is it from a reliable source ? I know salesmen can sometime blabber whatever they want !!! All the car mags & all posts on the sx4 indicate a price between 6 - 7.5L, So how do you say starting from 8 L, That means it is above NHC vtec category & very close to civic 7 corrollas ... that seems so unlikely for maruti to do so !!!
I have no idea what the road tax is in Chennai, but with ex-showroom 7.5L the road tax itself should take it to about 8.5L in Bangalore. Hoping MUL prices it more aggressively than that.
Old 29th April 2007, 11:48   #264

Baleno name discontinued for new sedan sx4

hey...how do the baleno owners frrl wen the car is actually has been discontinued....coz the new sx4 would not carry the baleno tagline..Dont u feel cheated. Atleast i do feel....that baleno tag shud nt be dropped...dnt you ppl feel that way.
Old 29th April 2007, 12:46   #265
BHPian

Have a look at this

-POGU
Old 29th April 2007, 16:16   #266
BHPian

i dunno, somehow in the pics it looks short and stubby in the back. Gotta see it in person to make a good judgedment.
Old 29th April 2007, 18:01   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishjhamb View Post
hey...how do the baleno owners frrl wen the car is actually has been discontinued....coz the new sx4 would not carry the baleno tagline..Dont u feel cheated. Atleast i do feel....that baleno tag shud nt be dropped...dnt you ppl feel that way.
While the Sx4 does replace the Baleno, it isnt the new Baleno and hence theres no point calling it the new Baleno. Im happy that Maruti is naming it the SX4 as thats what it is called all over the world.
Old 29th April 2007, 18:16   #268
Senior - BHPian

Also the market image of the Baleno is not so good. Even though the Qualis was a very good seller, Toyota still changed the name to Innova.
Old 29th April 2007, 18:33   #269
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

even the Maruti guy told me the same thing. The SX4 is replacing the Baleno in the segment. Its not a replacement for the Baleno , its an all new car. thats why they haven't called it the Baleno.

The Baleno is dead. SX4 is in.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 29th April 2007 at 18:34.
Old 30th April 2007, 00:31   #270
HSV
BHPian

Yes, and makes sense too. Whats the point of continuing a brand name that wasnt successful in the first place. And its a different platform offering altogether, so doesnt make sense to continue the same name.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed