Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 19:30   #286
Senior - BHPian

Could it be possible that the new baleno has the same engine we find in the Chevrolet aveo.

The swift diesel engine is here due to the gm-fiat-suzuki tie up.
Old 30th April 2007, 20:00   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor View Post
1. Price: Yet undecided. MUL is very tightlipped about it but considering the statements made by senior management, the pricing will be 'spot-on' (similar strategy when the Swift was launched). We, the employees, feel that pricing will be between 6.00 to 7.00 for the VXI, ZXI and ZXI leather seats.
2. Interiors: The test car we saw had dark swift-like interiors and not beige.
3. ZXI: ABS+EBD+Twin Airbags+Centre console stereo+Stereo controls on Steering will be standard.
4. Colors: At least 8 colors have been planned for.
5. Engine: 1598cc - Completely new design, not a modified Baleno.
6. Wheels: 15" or 16" - Not sure
7. Launch Date: 6th or 7th of May.
Thanks X-Sailor! My comments:
-- Safety: Good work MUL! Airbags + ABS on ZXi is good. Would be great if it is available as an option on lower-variants also.
-- Interiors: Swift's interiors aren't bad! The biege-worshippers can look elsewhere.
-- Wheels: MUL, please, please bring on the 16-inchers!
Get the pricing *RIGHT* and let the fireworks begin!!
Old 30th April 2007, 20:43   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
-- Wheels: MUL, please, please bring on the 16-inchers!
ACI reports ZXi will have 205 16s, the other variants will have 195 15s with 107bhp.

If this is true and offered at sub 8L OTR - the line between the C & C+ segment will get further blurred.
Old 30th April 2007, 21:30   #289
BHPian

Further update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Also, if we were to go by XSailor's inside scoop, none of the new gen M-series engines have a capacity of 1598cc. The M16A is 1586cc and is also available in the Liana making some 109 bhp. I doubt they are going to get to modify a new gen engine for only India. M15A could be a possibility too as it makes 100+ bhp in the Ignis Sport. So I am guessing they got to 1598cc by working on the G16B engine.
Hi ported_head,
Just got-off the phone with my 'inside' man , and probed further on the engine specs.
He confirms that his cubiccap figures might be off but he rather sure of the 100% new design (and I quote: in an attempt to follow Euro IV norms :unquote). Now, this mole is not a technical guy and perhaps unsure of the specs but is confident of the new design. He confirms that launch date is 6/7th May and the new Grand Vitara planned for SX4 launch + 3 months.

As I learn more, so shall you.
PS: My man has promised me a test drive soonest the test car is available in New Delhi - Any body else on the forum interested can PM me so that I can keep you guys in the loop for the test drive.

Cheers
Old 30th April 2007, 21:44   #290

A friend of mine called up competent motors (south delhi) this morning . he quoted a figure of 6.23 lkh for the base model .
Old 30th April 2007, 21:46   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor View Post
Hi ported_head,
Just got-off the phone with my 'inside' man , and probed further on the engine specs.
He confirms that his cubiccap figures might be off but he rather sure of the 100% new design (and I quote: in an attempt to follow Euro IV norms :unquote). Now, this mole is not a technical guy and perhaps unsure of the specs but is confident of the new design. He confirms that launch date is 6/7th May and the new Grand Vitara planned for SX4 launch + 3 months.

As I learn more, so shall you.
PS: My man has promised me a test drive soonest the test car is available in New Delhi - Any body else on the forum interested can PM me so that I can keep you guys in the loop for the test drive.

Cheers
xSailor - you da man!!! Can you hook us blokes up in Bangalore for a test ride as well?
Old 30th April 2007, 23:26   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
T
-- Interiors: Swift's interiors aren't bad! The biege-worshippers can look elsewhere.
I love the Grey or black interiors more than beige.
Old 30th April 2007, 23:44   #293
HSV
BHPian

Hey xSailor, very valuable info mate. Can you also confirm with your insider whether MUL is planning to launch an automatic transmission in the near/distant future - although I know that an auto will not be an option in any of the variants at the time of lauch in early May.

Any update will be extremely useful. Thanks
Old 1st May 2007, 01:26   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Yes it is, currently an option in the new Swift in most of the countries. 1328cc, Twin Cam, 4 cylinder, VVT, 16 valves and good for 91 bhp. Also does duty in the current generation Suzuki Jimny.
I would'nt be too surprised if they delete the VVT for the Indian version of this car. They might bring it back later when the emission regs kick in.
None of the competerion has it and it is a cost that they have to bear. It also probably explains the 5 hp loss.
Old 1st May 2007, 01:54   #295
Senior - BHPian

A few pics of the interiors of the sx4 sedan available abroad,

http://www.vicky.in/straightfrmthehe...sx4-driver.jpg

http://www.vicky.in/straightfrmthehe...7/04/seats.jpg

6.3L delhi prices appears so good to be true,just hope this car atleast lives up to all our expectations.

Quote:
They might bring it back later when the emission regs kick in.
Maruti is planning to launch the sx4 engine as euro 4 compliant but talk of it being euro 5 compliant also going on.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 1st May 2007 at 02:05.
Old 1st May 2007, 04:03   #296
BHPian

You can only guess until it is launched. But rationale thinking takes us to the conclusion that the present baleno engine will be retained. It is to keep the costs down, may be a new engine will be offered. I hope it should be of 1.8 rather than 1.6. Then only it could compete against cedia etc.
Old 1st May 2007, 06:22   #297
BHPian

just like the baleno got replaced by the sx4, the esteem should be replaced by the liana/aero

the liana/aero 5-door version, good to compete with the srv and the fusion.

Old 1st May 2007, 07:34   #298
BHPian

The May issue of Topgear says SX4 will be priced at Honda City levels..looks like a bad idea to me..who will prefer a Maruti vehicle when u can get Honda City for same price?
Old 1st May 2007, 09:53   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
The May issue of Topgear says SX4 will be priced at Honda City levels..looks like a bad idea to me..who will prefer a Maruti vehicle when u can get Honda City for same price?
Many people will....even if MUL sets the price of SX4 in the level of the City's....people will flock to buy the same for the added safety features of ABS+EBD...and not to forget the WAN of MUL service centres.
Old 1st May 2007, 09:58   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUELZ 41 View Post
just like the baleno got replaced by the sx4, the esteem should be replaced by the liana/aero

the liana/aero 5-door version, good to compete with the srv and the fusion.
Well thats what I had thought of too. However worldwide Suzuki is planning on replacing the Liana/Aerio with the SX4 sedan. It wouldnt make sense for Maruti to do that. The Esteem is a reallllly outdated product,But is replacing it with another outdated product really the answer?

PS: Can the title of the thread be changed to "Baleno replacement - SX4 sedan to be released"
Closed Thread

Most Viewed