Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2020, 22:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport BS6 launched at Rs 8.04 lakh

This is interesting, I do agree that the Ecosport was a little overpriced to start with, but still, just a 13k increase in price for Diesel engine is unbelievable. Even scooter manufacturers have increased their price by a couple of thousands (not a fair comparison, but I strongly believe fuel injectors wont cost them so much vs carburetor)

I guess a fair comparison would be -if it all it is possible- to see the cost of only the engine from all these companies.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 22:39   #32
BHPian

Just to get all info together:
Ford Ecosport BS6 vs BS4:
- FordPass , a vehicle connectivity feature has been introduced for all variants.
- Diesel Torque increased by 10nm
- petrol torque and power decreased by 1nm and 1 bhp respectively
- Petrol S is now dragon instead of EcoBoost
- price increased by 13k (except for Titanium-D)
- Official Mileage figure for BS6 diesel is reduced to 21.7 from 23 kmpl and 15.9 kmpl from 17.6 for petrol
SahilS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 22:44   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a clear case of price correction in the guise of BS6 conversion. That said, the Ecosport is a wonderful vehicle, though old and deserves to sell lot more than it does today. Same goes for that gem of 1.5L TDCi engine. Whatever keeps that engine running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post

Interesting comment regarding periodic running at high engine speeds. I wasn’t aware of this.

Any source/links with additional details where I could gather more info.

I hardly redline my diesel vehicle ( usually always below 2k rpm) so wonder if this could result in unexpected issues and I might have to change my sedate driving style.
Checkout the screenshot in this post, taken from the Kia Seltos user manual. You’re expected to drive in 1500-2500 rpm range for some extended time once in a while. As for me, I have driven 5-10 kms daily for 3 weeks straight and never got a chance to take it above 2k rpm but didn’t face any issue during this period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
As per the research I have done so far, you don't need to drive a BS6 diesel car for 100+ kms every day or even at 80kmph speed. For DPF regeneration, the car needs to be driven at high RPM (1500-2500 RPM) for sustained duration (~20 mins) once in few days. I find that doable during our daily usage. Please refer the screenshot from the KIA user manual.

Attachment 1957730

Last edited by ashis89 : 20th January 2020 at 22:51.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 22:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Some Prices are not matching according to the variants.

Prices ON-Road Mumbai.
  • Ecosport Titanium + 1.5L TDCi : ₹ 13.3 L
  • Venue SX 1.4 (O) CRDi : ₹ 13.1 L
  • Nexon XZ Plus Diesel : ₹ 12.75 L
  • Vitara Brezza ZDi Plus : ₹ 11.7 L
  • XUV 3OO 1.5 W8 (O) : ₹ 14.51 L

Hope Ford comes with an update for the system to have Android Auto/Apple Carplay.(is that technically possible?)
You have to mention the EcoSport amazing 500mm water wading depth despite not having the highest ground clearance. This is just a mark of good engineering that has gone into that vehicle.
JithinR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 23:25   #35
BHPian

Well around one year back, I had contacted my closest Ford dealership manager, regarding the fate of the 1.5 Ford Diesel engine, as there were rumours that Ford may discontinue it. There were news of Maruti Suzuki and Renault doing the same with their diesels. I had the diesel Ecosport at that time, sold it around May 2019, and got the Creta diesel 1.6. At that time I was also considering Ecosport S version Tdci. I was told by the manager that both the Ford engines Tdci as well as the Dragon were BS6 complient, I think he must have meant BS6 ready, and Ford will declare at appropriate time. Then I could not confirm from anywhere else, online or offline. So dropped the idea of Ecosport from list and went for Creta. Creta is a good vehicle, good engine, gearbox, but it can not match the handling and solid built of the Ecosport. So maybe that Ford already had the technology ready to change over to BS6, or maybe they were already BS6. Anyway well done Ford,
gsratta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 00:16   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post

Interesting comment regarding periodic running at high engine speeds. I wasn’t aware of this.

Any source/links with additional details where I could gather more info.

I hardly redline my diesel vehicle ( usually always below 2k rpm) so wonder if this could result in unexpected issues and I might have to change my sedate driving style.
It is written in the car’s manual, has been mentioned in the official review and has been discussed at length in various threads. The Kia Seltos (diesel) BS6 system uses automatic regeneration process, in which the system depends on continuously high exhaust temperatures to burn off all the soot and particulate matter. This happens automatically at highway speeds but needs to be consciously done in cars limited to the urban grind. Failure to do so leads to build up in the exhaust and causes check engine light. This CEL issue has already been reported in many cars. Any damage caused by this negligence is not covered under warranty.

It is a best practice to run a warmed up Diesel engine at 3000+ rpm continuously for at least a minute once every 10-15 days if your car does not hit the highway regularly. Clears the exhaust system and prevents soot build up.

I don’t remember the exact text of the Kia Seltos user manual but it is pretty much on these lines.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 21st January 2020 at 00:18.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 00:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I don't understand your comparison. You have not taken the top spec version of the ecosport to compare with the competition you mentioned. I don't think Nexon is anywhere near overpriced. Leave the sports edition, the titanium+ variant is 12.84 lacs on road. Also, Nexon xz+ is around 12.3 lacs.

Besides, the facelifted Nexon will cover the features it misses out on compared to competition, i am pretty sure the price increase will be reasonable and even then the Nexon is a very competent product.
This comparison was done by taking VFM variants of ES, Venue, Nexon, Brezza and Xuv300 which have similar equipment like alloys, touchscreen etc. Never said these will have the exact same features. Titanium is the only variant which didn't receive the price hike and the reason why i tried to pick similarly spec'd contenders for the same. Coming to as to why i didn't consider the Titanium+ because it comes with 6 airbags while the others mentioned come with 2 airbags. That would have been an unfair comparison according to me.

All the prices were taken from Carwale, which may or may not be accurate. If somebody wants to go for the Top of the line variants then it might be a completely different story altogether as the XUV 300 in its W8(O) trim comes with a lot more equipment.
Old 21st January 2020, 01:08   #38
BHPian

Ford Ecosport TDCI comes with an anemic engine in SOHC configuration which does not deliver adequate power in hilly terrain.One needs to bring it to a boil in 1st and 2nd gear to gather any momentum.
When we give weight-age to features like Head unit, Airbags, Sunroof,Cruise control we must also consider what kind of engine is being offered and how does it stack up to the competition.I find the Hyundia/Kia, Nexon and XUV 300 1.5ltr the better picks when it comes to Diesel engines.
BeingHuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 01:51   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Thanks. Nexon XZ Plus is 12.39 lakh not 12.75 lakh. On-road price data from here.

You have not taken the exact top variants for all cars, okay let's assume that you have taken similarly specced variants, but post the facelift release Nexon will address all the feature shortcomings.

Selected variants are not similarly specced exactly feature to feature as Nexon had few which others didn't have, and Venue had few which others didn't have, etc.(Example XUV300 W6 misses out on rear camera while others had it, Ecosport & XUV300 misses out on Android Auto & Apple CarPlay while others had it, Nexon had 8 speakers while others had 4 speakers, etc). Quite an unfair comparison. Painting a wrong picture.

Features are visible, but what about other things like build etc, people happily pay premium to Toyota for reliability but won't they want to pay anything for safer cars?

Yes, Ecosport is quite a good car, BS6 price announcement made it a formidable competitor in the segment. Another formidable player is Brezza.
All the prices were taken from Carwale. One goof up from my side that i typed W6 instead of W8 variant of the Xuv300 although the price mentioned is accurate.

I picked up contenders for the particular Titanium variant of the Ecosport and tried to be as fair as possible considering pricing and equipment like ABS, 2 Airbags, Alloys, Touchscreen. Also i believe Ford didn't increase the prices of this variant due to its VFM quotient. Features which i found were missing were also highlighted. For example the Venue gets a Sunroof in SX trim but misses out on Push button start and rear wiper.

This comparison was purely a spec to spec comparison of the Titanium variant vs the competition. So, lets not dive into other factors like build quality, space, ride quality, sound quality etc. as it is entirely subjective.
ATRONIX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 07:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Colossal pricing. There was so much silence before the storm. For an enthusiast, the Ecosport Trend Tdci is a total VFM when compared to its competitors.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 07:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Just to get all info together:
Ford Ecosport BS6 vs BS4:
- FordPass , a vehicle connectivity feature has been introduced for all variants.
- Diesel Torque increased by 10nm
This and the warranty increase from 2 years to 3 years, the effective price increase should be negative .. A very strategical move is what I should say .. Eager to see how Nexon would price the diesel now.
Old 21st January 2020, 08:05   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. This pricing is surprising. It would also force other manufacturers to increase prices competitively. They can't just increase prices by 1L in this segment now in guise of BS6 compliance.

The Ecosport 2020 has Sync 3 in only S variant. Others have the regular screen.

Titanium Plus has Petrol MT and AT and Diesel MT.

S is available in Petrol MT and Diesel MT.

None of the variants has 17" alloys. Alloys are 16" alloys in Titanium with 6.0X16 ; Titanium Plus and S get 6.5X16. The tyre size remains the same at 205/60 R16. Others get steel wheels in size 6.0X15 with tyres 195/65 R15.

Titanium Plus loses out to S on these
  • Ford MyKey, Isofix and Emergency Assistance in safety.
  • Sync3 and Android Auto/Apple Car Play in connectivity.
  • HID headlamps.
  • Puddle lamps and TPMS.

I've not considered cosmetic as well as some non-deal breaking features here.

There is another variant called Thunder which is an extension of Titanium variant.

Ford EcoSport BS6 launched at Rs 8.04 lakh-screenshot_20200121080704__01.jpg

Now I have a question, with the Mahindra-Ford deal coming up, where does the Ecosport stand now? It is a worthy vehicle but is it a worthy buy now with the uncertainty?

Attaching the Ecosport2020 brochure here. I feel the features are well spread across variants except maybe a couple of things.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brochure-Ford-Ecosport-2020-Mobile.pdf (3.45 MB, 546 views)

Last edited by BoneCollector : 21st January 2020 at 08:11.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 08:21   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post

Titanium Plus loses out to S on these
  • Ford MyKey, Isofix and Emergency Assistance in safety.
  • Sync3 and Android Auto/Apple Car Play in connectivity.
  • HID headlamps.
  • Puddle lamps and TPMS.
Couple of corrections:

HID lamps were only available from S variant.
TPMS was removed from titanium plus when S variant was launched.
Thunder variant has been there for a long time. I think since Venue was released.
Old 21st January 2020, 08:43   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Couple of corrections:

HID lamps were only available from S variant.
TPMS was removed from titanium plus when S variant was launched.
Thunder variant has been there for a long time. I think since Venue was released.
Well, I'm aware of these. What I meant to convey was that in Ecosport2020, the Titanium Plus loses out to S on those features. It doesn't mean that it was or wasn't same earlier. My opinion is with reference to the current one. So yes, the Titanium Plus does lose these features when compared to S variant. The feature list might be the same as last model.

Quote:

Can't believe that they still don't realize the potential of having the only 6 airbags (with electronic safety aids) real automatic CSUV in the market.
The Petrol AT is available in Titanium Plus variant so it does come with 6 airbags, Electronic Stability Control, Emergency Brake Assist, Traction Control System and Hill Launch Assist. Cruise control is an added feature present only in Titanium Plus AT and Petrol & Diesel S variants.

Ford EcoSport BS6 launched at Rs 8.04 lakh-screenshot_20200121085613__01.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 21st January 2020 at 08:53.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 08:48   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I hope you are aware of the work around that can be used in case you want Android auto or Apple carplay in your flyaudio system. No body should have to suffer having a mobile mount stuck to the dash after spending this much on a new car.

Too true - one shouldn't be stuck without voice commands and other techy features after spending 12+L today.

But I'm not aware of the workaround. Please elaborate.
Mu009 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed