Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:05   #61
BHPian

Re: The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The car is made in India with a very high localization % and using Indian vendors for parts just like other companies. Few bits are imported from China just like Mahindra and Tata and Skoda and Mercedes.
Not FEW BITS, but a whole lot of them are actually imported from China.
The engine (1.5T) & the Transmission for that matter are Chinese Imports as the cost of manufacturing in India is higher than the Chinese import (with the duty included)
FIAT3031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:07   #62
BHPian

We clearly need to know what accessories were installed. How were they connected and since it was by the dealer, were the products branded? If they don't reveal the actual accessory, then it is clearly a cover up. If they provide the detailed investigation report, it adds more trust in favor of the OEM, at least within our community.

Last edited by Vians : 23rd January 2020 at 09:09.
Vians is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:08   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Not FEW BITS, but a whole lot of them are actually imported from China.
The engine (1.5T) & the Transmission for that matter are Chinese Imports as the cost of manufacturing in India is higher than the Chinese import (with the duty included)
It's the same with other brands and yes the 1.5 Turbo petrol is imported but the diesel is from Jeep/Fiat.

Have you seen the Made in China parts on an XUV5OO?
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Looks like the owner of the car has received adequate compensation for his silence.
Do I see an opportunity here!! How much are they compensating over and above the cost of the vehicle?
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:14   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
Apparently the cause of fire was after market accessories.
Quote:
The unofficial news is that this Hector had 2 aftermarket screens fitted at the back as well as aftermarket horn.
Ok, i know that i should not be commenting on speculations or half-baked information but this seems completely wrong.

A quick search on RTO portal tells me that the HR26 Hector (Silver) was registered on "Turner Logistics" name. In one of the videos posted on the first page, it is clearly visible that no aftermarket screens were installed on this particular car (attached screenshot).

Now, coming to what Oxyzen has commented. I completely agree with him. I have never seen a customer releasing statement on what could have gone wrong with the car. Is it not the OEMs responsibility to do the root-cause analysis and release a statement? This is not just wrong, but funny at many levels.
Attached Thumbnails
The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-teambhp-upload.jpg  

tarik.arora is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:21   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
It doesn't take an intelligence investigator to decipher what that signed and sealed press release note from the owner means -

1) someone whose car caught fire, will be in the correct frame of mind to appreciate the "help to resolve the concern" from the car company and will go so far as to say "furthered the confidence in the company". Do these people think people who read this are idiots ? Or do they think nobody has seen any movie (or came across somebody's experience) where pressure tactics and/or money are used to squeeze out a signed statement in support of the pressurizer ?

2) This is india. Hot country. Jugaad country. Right from 1980s ambassador/padmini/maruti to a modern day S-class, people have been doing electrical mods by splicing wires wherever its accessible and putting insulation tape after making the jugaad connection. However, despite this jugaad electrical mod culture, "catching fire" has been in the news only when there is a massive collision rupturing the fuel tank. Other than the nano (which was not electrical fire) , no other car has been so notorious for "catching fire" like this. The statistical probability of something like this happening to the same brand of car, within a very narrow window of time, is really really low. Hence, these incidents are most likely due to :
a) arson by competitor brands
b) something definitely susceptible in the design, and is being swept under the carpet, hiding behind "electrical mods". Some place where safety_factor tolerance (overdesign the capability) for temperature/pressure-sealing is not upto the mark.

Last edited by venkyhere : 23rd January 2020 at 09:23.
venkyhere is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a way to 'put out the fire' by MG! This would silence the mainstream media.

But, it is not believable. My car catches fire after upgrading a horn and somehow it 'furthers' my confidence in the car's manufacturer! Wow!

Fitting an upgraded horn is one of the most common upgrades in the country. If the stock is dual tone, that it simply gets replaced, without cutting any wires. If that makes my car catch fire, then I would seriously appreciate the premium machinery I bought.

Even if it was the seat screens, it would take a really, really, really bad job by the dealer to make a car catch fire.

Had it been my car, I would have created a ruckus. Approached the media and what not. But, yes, if MG had approached me with a suitable settlement or a new car, I might have swallowed my pride and done what this owner did.

Also, why would the 'Authorised Signatory' of Turner Logistics sign on behalf of the customer?

Last edited by ashutoshb : 23rd January 2020 at 09:44.
ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:43   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Sorry for posting this. Didn’t see that it was posted earlier. Admins please delete.
Can't everyone see clearly through this? They have this strategy always of getting the owner to defend the brand on social media. It is cheaper this way. Unethical but cheaper.

SAIC Motors is setting a wrong precedent here that if you have lawyers and money, you can get away with anything (seen Laundromat on Netflix?). Why wouldn't other companies come to India and do the same with cheap quality products?

Last edited by ashishy : 23rd January 2020 at 09:49.
ashishy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:43   #69
BHPian

Quote:
However I think we also need to stop with the Chinese bashing and treat them like any other car manufacturer in India.
China bashing is ridiculous, it points to an issue that has nothing to do with China per se. iPhones are made in China. Many of the worlds most ubiquitous consumer electronic brands have manufacturing based in China. China has the ability to deliver without question. If you’ve spent time with employees from any or these companies you will also realise that the decisions around manufacturing are not based on the quality of products that come of the assembly line in great shape. It’s based on the ones that don’t, or the seemingly good units that break under stress testing. Decisions to kill a product are based on failure rates at the time of manufacturing and failure rates after very very strenuous testing (aka the processes that drive up costs). The lack of this strenuous testing, and the lack of the willingness to kill or just not launch things you aren’t confident of - It would seem the case that This and this alone is what some of us hold against some home grown Chinese brands, MG included.
reihem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:59   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Quoting myself:

As doubted, now the article was removed from their home page, there is no way one could navigate to the article unless one had direct link to the url.

Though not recorded, have seen/observed a number of such heavy-handed manipulations by MG in India since its launch. This time it was recorded. Especially they are controlling the media houses. They are very quick!

Heavy handed manipulation, I would say. Sweet corporate talk on one side, greasing media hands on the other side, or threatening on the other side.

The poor customer who paraded his Hector with a donkey (Owner gets donkeys to pull MG Hector; MG initiates action against him) was threatened by MG, then it went on to paint a bad picture about the customer through sweet corporate talk on the other side.
Now they even removed the article from that url. It's erased completely. They are trying to erase all things negative from the internet, but still things are remaining here and there.

It's observed in the past, now it's being recorded.

This is what it shows now:

The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-screenshot_20200123-page-not-found-financial-express.png

That letter is a cover up. We have never seen such a control of media in the past by any automobile company. During Nano fire issue, Tata handled it transparently.

Last edited by wheelguy : 23rd January 2020 at 10:01.
wheelguy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:01   #71
BHPian

Teambhp will end up being the only place with negative feedback about SAIC then
ashishy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:11   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Accessories, FITTED at DEALERSHIP. Isn't the company responsible for that? I don't think from what we know so far MG is completely out of the mess. Also, there is no official word or info on the second incident.

Not at all confidence inspiring unless they take urgent steps transparently to prevent similar incidents in the future. hope they do that without losing much time.
CoolFire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:34   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Below is the message that was sent to me by the MG sales person from the Cochin dealership. The message was attached to the same letter signed by Turner Logistics, that was shared earlier in this thread.

Quote:
For all the people who were blaming MG and questioning the safety of Hector for the fire incident that happened in Delhi on 20th January, here is the statement from the owner himself. He has clearly stated that the fire was caused due to fitment accessories from a 3rd party vendor. And he appreciated how quickly MG responded to him and took an action.
People should check all facts before defaming any brand. MG has done great job here by reaching out to the customer and solving his concern. This needs to be appreciated.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:41   #74
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Below is the message that was sent to me by the MG sales person from the Cochin dealership. The message was attached to the same letter signed by Turner Logistics, that was shared earlier in this thread.
This is the problem when things are not transparent. Its clearly written that the accessories were fitted at dealership and they claim now that it is 3rd party fitment.
It would have been much better if they had mentioned which accessory was fitted.
These kind of notices will only increase confusion.
J4J is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:48   #75
BHPian

What was the need for the owner to come up with any signed authentic statement?
How could he know the probable cause of fire?
Is it legally required?
Is it possible that this was issued after MG got into a settlement with the owner? (he does mention that concern was resolved).
Am I speculating unnecessary?

Last edited by aviral2122 : 23rd January 2020 at 10:53.
aviral2122 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks