Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:47   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire

I see one (OP) post providing details/videos on the fire(d)-up MGs (hehe - pun intended); and a whole lot of speculations on the (lack of) investigations, the 'dubious' origins of this particular brand/company and what-not. But not a single post giving additional information on the ground level situation.

So the facts so far as such
- Two cases of Hector catching fire: One in mid Dec'19 and the other one a few days ago
- Zero news reports about these on any general news agency or motoring news agency
- Zero public responses from MG (considering there hasn't been any since the first case, I doubt they'll do for the second case)
- Zero posts by MG Hector owners (bhpians) on this thread (yet)

Currently this thread is looking very similar to the comments thread on both the shared youtube videos than informational Btw one of the comments on the Delhi fire case talks about exposed wires causing the fire.

To the MG Hector owners - are there forums/discussion options with your service centers / fellow Hector owners that can shed some additional light on these two cases? Could be just two co-incidental cases occurring due to same or different reasons causing the fire.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Could be just two co-incidental cases occurring due to same or different reasons causing the fire.
I'm a Hector Diesel owner and I've already replied on the thread. My experience of owning the car and their service, has been excellent. I am happy with my purchase.

But I am a bit concerned about these incidents so I have already put in a request for more information from the folks I know at MG. I'll share the information as soon as I get answers.

Unverified posts on the Facebook Forum point to the wiring being tampered for an aftermarket fitment. This only makes sense if it was not the smart or sharp model as these two are adequately loaded with features and don't require any aftermarket fitments.

As far as the company's response is concerned, I'm sure they have already taken note of the same and are working to find out the root cause of the matter. They are pretty serious about India and I don't think they'll like their growing image to be dented. Someone has already commented a few posts back, that Mr Chaba knows about the issue and his team is working on it.

As an owner, I will give them some time to figure out the issue and come out with a response or solution if necessary.

Last edited by coolkurt : 22nd January 2020 at 15:27.
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:57   #33
BHPian

Brand new cars catching fire is a worrisome situation. No response or clarification from the parent company raises an eyebrow. Reminds of the Tata Nano days.
mpshah68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
All this Chinese bashing instead of evaluating products on their own merit is shameful for a forum like Team-BHP.
I think, it is for the first time our forum is discussing the fumes/fire incidents from MG Hector, to such a detail. (If I am wrong, ). All those times, this forum had given the benefit of doubts to these incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So the facts so far as such
- Two cases of Hector catching fire: One in mid Dec'19 and the other one a few days ago
- Zero news reports about these on any general news agency or motoring news agency
- Zero public responses from MG (considering there hasn't been any since the first case, I doubt they'll do for the second case)
I agree to this. Really surprising that MG hasn't still released a public response to the incident reported in the mid of Dec'19. They know that these discussions will die down after some time.

If there are more responses to such incidents in a forum like ours, manufactures will understand that influential people are discussing such incidents seriously. And they will be forced to investigate and release communication in this regard. Having said all these, I have least expectation that, even if it was due to a manufacturing fault, any manufacturer is going to admit that. Mostly they will put the blame on driving style or would say that there was some kind of aftermarket modification.

I don't believe that there is anything to do with Chinese origin in this case. This can be the case for any manufacturer who decides to sell their product at a price lower than the competition product price, but decides to show that all latest technology features, which are not available with the competition are available in the product. In spite of all these, if they want to have good margin in their product, the situation will become worse.
Sreejith V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

We are a country where people do not hesitate to hail down a dangerously unstable contraption called 3-wheeler rickshaw Or drive without helmet. So lets not cast aspersions on an automobile company based on its geographic origins , who are at least providing a well equipped car. If MG has to do a recall. it may do so. They have a lot at stake in this market to ignore any serious issues.
fhdowntheline is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

We’ve seen a lot of cars getting caught in a fire previously. However, those incidents were isolated to a mere one which could be exceptional. But, MG has 2 in a matter of days? They’ve already sold in high volumes. I really do hope they take it seriously and comment on it.

PS:
Afterall, there’s always a statutory warning on chinese products - it works until it works and no guarantee / warranty provided. Heard this from an old man in China bazaar back in my younger days while buying PS2 DVDs
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

My tip to MG, before it starts blaming the customers and after market fitments, maybe try and do a thorough investigation. The worldwide car industry is full of cases with faulty parts and designs taking lives.

If more such cases start appearing, we all know what it does to a car's image. It killed the Nano, Hector will not be spared either. If not the mainstream media, social media might take it up and do some irreparable damage.

Kudos to the moderators for letting it be a separate thread.
ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
I have seen Rajeev chaba's response to the email,wherein he expressed his shock and remorse. He has said that his team will go through the bottom of the rca. Will post his email once I get home later this evening
See the attachments for the resolution
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Customer.pdf (62.3 KB, 623 views)
File Type: pdf Chaba.pdf (57.5 KB, 1579 views)
realactivex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:06   #39
BANNED

The Financial Express owned by The Indian Express Group just published this news.

Probably the first reporting by a mainstream media outlet.
The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-financialexpress_com_page0001.jpg
The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-financialexpress_com_page0002.jpg
PS: My doubts are getting confirmed, the video was immediately pulled down. Uploaded the article too, who knows the article might be pulled down too.

Either media house might have pulled it down or MG guys have reported the video on Youtube, if it's media house then they might have as well pull down the article too which didn't happen.

Last edited by wheelguy : 22nd January 2020 at 20:30.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post

PS: My doubts are getting confirmed, the video was immediately pulled down.
And it has now been re-shared by tens of other youtube users.

Pull down one video & another 10 will pop-up.

MG should put forward an official statement in the print/web as soon as possible.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:19   #41
BHPian

This is really scary. Interestingly, when I went to check out MG in the showroom, I looked at bits into the engine bay (such as the Engine cover) and other plastics bits used where most people will not look at, I got a feeling that it is like a Chinese mobile/electronic product that you get from Aliexpress. It will work for a couple of months and then you have to throw it away.

I actually dismissed that feeling at that time. But, seeing this, I am afraid that it may be true.
Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
See the attachments for the resolution
Mr Chaba's email sounds honest enough, though it could be corporate speak drawn by the PR guy. We should hold opinions on how they handle this issue till a decent time is given for them to respond. I was disappointed at how they handled the Donkey Issue and hope this is handled better.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:59   #43
BANNED

I don’t know if anyone of you noticed something very serious but irrelevant to this thread. In the first video, if you observe closely you could see two persons sticking their head (upper body included) out through sun roof.

Any vehicle catching fire is horrifying for the owner and the family. Hope MG comes up with a proper explanation on why the fire happened.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:17   #44
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

No, thank you. I'd rather have a pre-owned BMW or Fortuner...
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:52   #45
BANNED

Quoting myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
PS: My doubts are getting confirmed, the video was immediately pulled down. Uploaded the article too, who knows the article might be pulled down too.

Either media house might have pulled it down or MG guys have reported the video on Youtube, if it's media house then they might have as well pull down the article too which didn't happen.
As doubted, now the article was removed from their home page, there is no way one could navigate to the article unless one had direct link to the url.

Though not recorded, have seen/observed a number of such heavy-handed manipulations by MG in India since its launch. This time it was recorded. Especially they are controlling the media houses. They are very quick!

Heavy handed manipulation, I would say. Sweet corporate talk on one side, greasing media hands on the other side, or threatening on the other side.

The poor customer who paraded his Hector with a donkey (Owner gets donkeys to pull MG Hector; MG initiates action against him) was threatened by MG, then it went on to paint a bad picture about the customer through sweet corporate talk on the other side.

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd January 2020 at 22:20. Reason: Removed bold tags
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks