Name:  Hector 1.png
Views: 4014
Size:  252.6 KB
Sarvodaya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 22:15   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggerMathai View Post
I've been seeing MG cars getting thrashed around in 50 degree C heat in Middle East for more than a decade and not one fire so far.

I used to live in Oman before and in the early 2000's the MG rover was very popular there. However reliability was an issue even then. My neighbour's MG was always at the workshop and unfortunately caught fire one afternoon. Luckily she and my mom were able to exit as soon as they spotted the smoke

Past experience with the brand has been the main reason why i opted for the Seltos Over the Hector and stayed away from the MG.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd January 2020 at 23:35. Reason: Fixed quotes.
Asmt_b is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 22:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire

Strange this is happening during the coldest time of the year.

What would be the state of Hectors as they keep lapping up more miles especially come next summer!

Chabba and his ex GM team should come out with a press release especially for the sake of customers who have decided to trust this new brand. One of Nano's biggest marketing failures was allaying fears when a few Nanos from the first batch caught fire.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 22:53   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Chabba and his ex GM team should come out with a press release especially for the sake of customers who have decided to trust this new brand. One of Nano's biggest marketing failures was allaying fears when a few Nanos from the first batch caught fire.
But then Tata didn't do any threatening or manipulation, Tata checked, accepted, modified and improved Nano overtime, and also gracefully pocketed thousands of crores of rupees losses. They might make mistakes, but they never tried to brush their mistakes under the carpet. That's why I respect Tata a lot. In fact I am one of the satisfied customers of Nano, ~80000 km on the odometer without any issues.

Here in this case every media house is silent which shows the ethics of both MG and media houses. MG clearly wanted to brush things under the carpet, when confronted they are giving sweet corporate responses.
wheelguy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:29   #50
BHPian

Looks like some lesser known media houses are making some noise, while major media houses are still tight-lipped about this. Posting some links that I found. What's fishy is the silence of MG who still hasn't come out and spoke a word.

Link 1

Link 2

Quote:
Chabba and his ex GM team should come out with a press release especially for the sake of customers who have decided to trust this new brand

I couldn't agree more. It is situations like this that make or break the trust that a brand has built with the customers. MG, being very very new to India has to act proactively and come up with a fix rather than keep mum and try to brush things under carpet.
TangoSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Instead of setting sales charts on fire, the cars have started setting themselves on fire.

On a serious note- Hope there are no injuries or lives lost. I Couldn't find any other international report of the same car catching fire in South America/Indonesia/China. I really hope MG India issues a statement and issues a recall to fix the car.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd January 2020 at 02:56.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 05:05   #52
BHPian

Imagine the situation and reaction of people if two of Tata Harriers had caught fires like these Hectors. People would have shredded and dissected Tata ruthlessly. I have seen a few last generation relatively new Hyundai Vernas burnt like these but somehow those escaped that scrutiny.

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 23rd January 2020 at 05:06.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

My cousin has booked a MG Hector yesterday (not sure if it's the BS4 or the impending BS6). I lightly told her, that there seems to be some problem with the vehicles, lest she accuse me of 'mansplaining'. Anyways, she brushed off my suggestion saying Hector is what it shall be. She is too much in love with the central screen and sunroof. If I pass on these videos, she will absolutely freak out.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:43   #54
BHPian

Apparently the cause of fire was after market accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-fb_img_1579743497689.jpg  

Neeraj1903 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:47   #55

I second what one of the TATA Nano owner wrote in the thread. Nano was a good vehicle at that cost, killed by company due to its bad or no advertising and PR. Leaving that aside, All cars are machinery designed for certain operations with lot of thought, energy and money put in to suit it to the area or environment of its operation. This also will be the case here, but here what the company is doing about this is not yet known and I believe we should wait atleast 1 month, so that they come out with genuine investigation report. So let's not jump to conclusions. There were such reports of New Fortuner also going Kaput or a Jeep going kaput in the first drive of delivery. Let us wait a bit before coming to conclusions. For if someone thinks I am unduly taking sides, I have a TATA HEXA XTA, and my opinion is in general to all manufacturers.
kitsass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
Apparently the cause of fire was after market accessories.
Is this a joke? This is wrong in so many levels.
1. The dealership is speculating the cause of fire. The company has not come out with a statement.
2. Since when, accessories installed at authorized dealership is supposed to be a cause of concern.
3. Also statements like "Some Accessories" , "Probable reasons" makes everything very vague.

I believe MG is forcing the dealership to take the blame. As of today, with cars getting more and more reliable, we still see some cases of cars catching fire even with expensive brands like BMW , Tesla etc. What matters is how the company chooses to respond to it.
oxyzen is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:35   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Is this a joke? This is wrong in so many levels.
1. The dealership is speculating the cause of fire. The company has not come out with a statement.
2. Since when, accessories installed at authorized dealership is supposed to be a cause of concern.
3. Also statements like "Some Accessories" , "Probable reasons" makes everything very vague.

I believe MG is forcing the dealership to take the blame. As of today, with cars getting more and more reliable, we still see some cases of cars catching fire even with expensive brands like BMW , Tesla etc. What matters is how the company chooses to respond to it.
I'm sorry what do you mean by Dealership? Turner logistics is the company that owns the Hector. This is not a dealer car.

The unofficial news is that this Hector had 2 aftermarket screens fitted at the back as well as aftermarket horn.

Whether these were fitted by dealer or outside is not known but really I don't know of any dealer competent to install all this as per OEM quality. They are usually worse than aftermarket.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm sorry what do you mean by Dealership? Turner logistics is the company that owns the Hector. This is not a dealer car.

The unofficial news is that this Hector had 2 aftermarket screens fitted at the back as well as aftermarket horn.

Whether these were fitted by dealer or outside is not known but really I don't know of any dealer competent to install all this as per OEM quality. They are usually worse than aftermarket.

Looks like the owner of the car has received adequate compensation for his silence. It will not be very difficult to pinpoint the starting point of the fire. The letter clearly mentions that some accessories were fitted at the dealership. For me, the letter makes only two things clear:
  1. MG is trying to suppress news regarding anything negative about the Hector, even if that means compensating customers and paying off media houses. They need the Hector to remain successful, and they will do anything to reach that goal
  2. Fitting accessories at the dealership might be a good idea even if they are incompetant. Even if they mess up, the customer has a better chance of getting compensated by the brand or the dealer.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In one of the two videos which have gone viral, the rear seating area is shown and it does not have aftermarket screens fitted on the "rear" part of the front seats, can't say about the horns though.
beast_within is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:04   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post

The difference in the fuel types hints towards the fact that the fires are electrical in nature.
I believe that these incidents are due to fuel leaks and not due to accessories or anything related to electrical systems.

Why the fuel leaked is what needs to be investigated.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks